• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Viet Gen-Spec 16710 Frankens are here to stay - byebye BP!

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
13/3/16
It certainly looks like they are painted from close up photos.

If it is paint, I don't know how they were lumed without the binder melting the paint. I've done quite a bit of lume work but never on painted hands.

slash2601

Known Member
30/11/17
I’ve found that the bezel rings with the viet cases don’t click and move bidirectional properly. I’ve purchased a separate clickspring. Does anyone have any alternative suggestions besides gen? Have you experienced similar problems with your bezel rings?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: jpereira88

CarpetRyd

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
20/3/17
I’ve found that the bezel rings with the viet cases don’t click and move bidirectional properly. I’ve purchased a separate clickspring. Does anyone have any alternative suggestions besides gen? Have you experienced similar problems with your bezel rings?

The one that comes with the VN case is crap and not bidirectional - it would be suitable for a 16610 (if it still wasn’t crap)….
I wouldn’t go gen for click or tension springs - it’s a waste of money IMO. I’d also replace both of them - mine was actually slightly rusted when it showed up.

I’m using the long style click intended for the yachtmaster (317-16628) - it’s doesn’t bind as much as the short style going clockwise. I also think GEN’s are replaced with the longer click now:
https://www.esslinger.com/generic-ro...click-springs/

edit - I also have a gen assembly, but the VN as I’ve read on this thread is pretty decent…

Last edited:

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
13/3/16
I can confirm the click spring and tension spring are both carbon steel and not stainless steel. If these are not changed you'll be growing a rust farm under the bezel. They create a decent gen spec case and then include 25 cents worth of shitty parts with it.

My build went together quite well. No hiccups other than I'm not very familiar with this type of bezel and click arrangement. There was a bit of space under the bezel so I reduced the retention ring height on a diamond lap to lower it. I'd like to see my crystal protrude a bit higher so I have some different size gaskets on order.

slash2601

Known Member
30/11/17
The one that comes with the VN case is crap and not bidirectional - it would be suitable for a 16610 (if it still wasn’t crap)….
I wouldn’t go gen for click or tension springs - it’s a waste of money IMO. I’d also replace both of them - mine was actually slightly rusted when it showed up.

I’m using the long style click intended for the yachtmaster (317-16628) - it’s doesn’t bind as much as the short style going clockwise. I also think GEN’s are replaced with the longer click now:
https://www.esslinger.com/generic-ro...click-springs/

edit - I also have a gen assembly, but the VN as I’ve read on this thread is pretty decent…

Thanks for the reply! I have a WSO clickspring and tension washer currently installed, but the bezel doesn’t click properly.

Good to hear that the VN bezel assembly is good enough. I’ll look into the one from esslinger, do you have the link for the correct one with the short style?

CarpetRyd

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
20/3/17
Thanks for the reply! I have a WSO clickspring and tension washer currently installed, but the bezel doesn’t click properly.

Good to hear that the VN bezel assembly is good enough. I’ll look into the one from esslinger, do you have the link for the correct one with the short style?

Can you share pics of what you got from WSO? I’m not really a fan of their parts either. Looking at what they have on the bay right now - the end looks to rounded to engage any teeth…

Get the long click spring vs short - you won’t regret it!

slash2601

Known Member
30/11/17
Can you share pics of what you got from WSO? I’m not really a fan of their parts either. Looking at what they have on the bay right now - the end looks to rounded to engage any teeth…

Get the long click spring vs short - you won’t regret it!

I purchased this:
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/BEZEL-TENSI...p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

That sounds great thank you, will look into the long click spring you sent me! I am looking for an extra viet bezel ring for my Coke insert. If you’re interested in selling, let me know.

Thanks!

Reactions: keisuke_z

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
13/3/16
For my build the 2.7mm crystal gasket is perfect. My gen crystal came with a 2.3mm gasket which was so low the hands hit the crystal and the crystal was flush with the bezel insert. A 2.5mm gasket brought it up a bit but the second hand still hit the crystal despite quadruple checking to make sure it was level and as low as possible. 2.7mm was the charm. Slightly elevated above the bezel and no hands touching.

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
13/3/16

FWIW, some differences between the Viet Nam crystal that comes with the case vs a Clark's gen spec crystal from eBay. Both are close in thickness, but the channel the gasket fits in are different.The VN crystal will sit higher and comes with a 2.5mm gasket which may provide enough hands clearance. The Clark's gasket is available in different heights. I used a 2.7mm gasket with gen crystal on my build. A 2.5 would not allow sufficient clearance for the hands.

The VN crystal's channel is also flat bottomed which can't really be seen in this photo. The Clark's is rounded inside which seems to me it would provide a slightly better seal.

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
13/3/16

I noticed the seconds hand was too loose and spinning freely so some repair work was in order. I closed its pipe a bit and then had to broach it out to correct size. Now it's fitting perfectly.

More beauty shots to come. I'd still like to put it on an oyster bracelet.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
jt0OhJ.jpg

More beauty shots to come. I'd still like to put it on an oyster bracelet.

Exquisite bro. That's what I'm talkin bout.

Reactions: WatchSmith.US

watchoself

3/6/20
UK

FWIW, some differences between the Viet Nam crystal that comes with the case vs a Clark's gen spec crystal from eBay. Both are close in thickness, but the channel the gasket fits in are different.The VN crystal will sit higher and comes with a 2.5mm gasket which may provide enough hands clearance. The Clark's gasket is available in different heights. I used a 2.7mm gasket with gen crystal on my build. A 2.5 would not allow sufficient clearance for the hands.

The VN crystal's channel is also flat bottomed which can't really be seen in this photo. The Clark's is rounded inside which seems to me it would provide a slightly better seal.

THANK YOU was literally about to post. My gen Crystal is flush with gen gasket which means the DW isn’t quite right. Let’s hope it holds up to WR testing

Sent from the RWI App

Reactions: WatchSmith.US