• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Viet Gen-Spec 16710 Frankens are here to stay - byebye BP!

Fullofdays

You're Saying I Can Sell?
13/1/14
does anyone have a VR3186 for sale? need one for my kilo build.

curious if they are still available- DM me

Last edited:

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
13/3/16
does anyone have a VR3186 for sale? need one for my kilo build.

curious if they are still available- DM me

You can get them in the sales area from thrillofhunt. I would get the 3185 though. The 3186 is the same as the 3185 except for a silly deco plate that's an attempt to make the balance appear to be a free sprung balance. By doing so they moved the beat and timing adjusters to the opposite side of the balance making adjustments awkward and difficult.

I've gotten several movements from thrillofhunt and he's a pleasure to deal with.

Reactions: idinwo01 and KJ2020

Danza1813

Tempus Fugit
Supporter
Certified
28/11/09
UK
I’ve found the lugs sit a little too high on these cases to match the bracelets properly. So for now, nato!

637e75be71a906044b0877eb30bd9fc1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ecender

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
13/3/16
I’ve found the lugs sit a little too high on these cases to match the bracelets properly. So for now, nato!

637e75be71a906044b0877eb30bd9fc1.jpg

Looks great on the nato!
Any plans to reshape the lugs?
What seller did you get the case from?

Danza1813

Tempus Fugit
Supporter
Certified
28/11/09
UK
Cheers.

The case came direct from Mr Nguyen in Ho Chi Min City. I did a little bit of work on the CGs and brushed the outside of the bezel, the lugs need around 1mm taking off the top of each and to maintain the shape would require someone with more skill than me.

I have a gen sub on bracelet, so happy to keep this tool watch on a nato or rubber for the occasions it’s called for. It’s only something I would notice or unless photos were scrutinies but someone who knows what to look for.

Reactions: WatchSmith.US

mandipan

Sic Mundus Creatus Est
Certified
18/11/13
Guys, from where are you sourcing your gen parts? I’m looking on the bay and C24 but people are asking insane prices even for an insert, not talking of a gen dial/ hand set.

Any help/tip to avoid burning my wallet?

Danza1813

Tempus Fugit
Supporter
Certified
28/11/09
UK
Guys, from where are you sourcing your gen parts? I’m looking on the bay and C24 but people are asking insane prices even for an insert, not talking of a gen dial/ hand set.

Any help/tip to avoid burning my wallet?

Try tswisst it’s a German website. They seem to have tons of dials and hands. Also vintage Rolex forum. A 16700 Swiss only dial went up today for a good price.

Reactions: watchoself

kadeee

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
25/10/18
I think, unfortunately, with in-demand parts at low prices, you're asking the wrong question.

In my opinion, you can go two ways. If you go the way of a vintage enthusiast, who swears by tritium luminous material, you will get relatively cheap dials. The matching set of hands, however, is much more expensive. If you go the way with SL luminous material, the hand sets are perhaps a little cheaper, but the dials are extremely expensive.

So which way do you want to go?
It'll not a cheap project to get a 16710 Build built.

Reactions: keisuke_z

Chiko Corleone

Known Member
4/6/15
I think, unfortunately, with in-demand parts at low prices, you're asking the wrong question.

In my opinion, you can go two ways. If you go the way of a vintage enthusiast, who swears by tritium luminous material, you will get relatively cheap dials. The matching set of hands, however, is much more expensive. If you go the way with SL luminous material, the hand sets are perhaps a little cheaper, but the dials are extremely expensive.

Yes I can attest to what kadee said. I went the Tritium route and I got the dial at pretty decent price but to find the matching Tritium hands with decent condition (I.e. not many cracks with tritium intact), it’s definitely more expensive

And TswissT is a good source as well, Michael is a nice seller with superb communication

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
13/3/16
I’ve not found any genuine parts I’d consider bargain priced. This is a pricy build unless aftermarket parts are used.

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
13/3/16
I’ve not found any genuine parts I’d consider bargain priced. This is a pricy build unless aftermarket parts are used.

heska

Renowned Member
Supporter
29/11/17

There is a third path: A tritium dial with SL hands. RSC don't hesitate to do that sometimes

Reactions: pompompurin

MJH89

Deskdweller
Supporter
Certified
13/1/17
Land of Cream Teas and Roast Dinners
How difficult is it to relume a set of tritium hands using the same lune crushed down and new binder added? Would that even be option to keep the tritium still there and thus a matching set for hands and dial?

MJH89

Deskdweller
Supporter
Certified
13/1/17
There is a third path: A tritium dial with SL hands. RSC don't hesitate to do that sometimes

Whilst I think mixing and matching tritium, L or SL hands is probably not too bad, I think RSC has some questionable habits when it's comes to servicing and have no respect for originality, so Im not too sure that following their example is anything to go by.

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
13/3/16
How difficult is it to relume a set of tritium hands using the same lune crushed down and new binder added? Would that even be option to keep the tritium still there and thus a matching set for hands and dial?

Interesting question. If you put the hands in a small glass container with a bit of acetone you should be able to dissolve the tritium and recover it when the acetone evaporates, then mix with binder and apply. Sounds like it might work.

MJH89

Deskdweller
Supporter
Certified
13/1/17
Interesting question. If you put the hands in a small glass container with a bit of acetone you should be able to dissolve the tritium and recover it when the acetone evaporates, then mix with binder and apply. Sounds like it might work.

Now that is an interesting approach. I have a gen explorer with broken tritium in the hands which I would like to relume, so perhaps this might be worth a shot. If they are the black painted hands for the polar dial however, would the acetone not also dissolve the paint?

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
13/3/16
Now that is an interesting approach. I have a gen explorer with broken tritium in the hands which I would like to relume, so perhaps this might be worth a shot. If they are the black painted hands for the polar dial however, would the acetone not also dissolve the paint?

Absolutely it will dissolve paint, and so will lume binder. Are they actually painted with paint or colored a different way?