Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Viet Gen-Spec 16710 Frankens are here to stay - byebye BP!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by heska View Post

There is a third path: A tritium dial with SL hands. RSC don't hesitate to do that sometimes
    Whilst I think mixing and matching tritium, L or SL hands is probably not too bad, I think RSC has some questionable habits when it's comes to servicing and have no respect for originality, so Im not too sure that following their example is anything to go by.

Comment

Originally posted by MJH89 View Post
      How difficult is it to relume a set of tritium hands using the same lune crushed down and new binder added? Would that even be option to keep the tritium still there and thus a matching set for hands and dial?
      Interesting question. If you put the hands in a small glass container with a bit of acetone you should be able to dissolve the tritium and recover it when the acetone evaporates, then mix with binder and apply. Sounds like it might work.

Comment

Originally posted by Triplock View Post

Interesting question. If you put the hands in a small glass container with a bit of acetone you should be able to dissolve the tritium and recover it when the acetone evaporates, then mix with binder and apply. Sounds like it might work.
        Now that is an interesting approach. I have a gen explorer with broken tritium in the hands which I would like to relume, so perhaps this might be worth a shot. If they are the black painted hands for the polar dial however, would the acetone not also dissolve the paint?

Comment

Now that is an interesting approach. I have a gen explorer with broken tritium in the hands which I would like to relume, so perhaps this might be worth a shot. If they are the black painted hands for the polar dial however, would the acetone not also dissolve the paint?
          Absolutely it will dissolve paint, and so will lume binder. Are they actually painted with paint or colored a different way?

Comment

Originally posted by mandipan View Post
            Tritium would be my only choice!
            This set just popped up on eBay and looks pretty good (not all scratched up, like most). These guys have a pretty good reputation.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rolex-GMT-M...-127632-2357-0

Comment

Absolutely it will dissolve paint, and so will lume binder. Are they actually painted with paint or colored a different way?
              It certainly looks like they are painted from close up photos.

Comment

It certainly looks like they are painted from close up photos.
                If it is paint, I don't know how they were lumed without the binder melting the paint. I've done quite a bit of lume work but never on painted hands.

Comment

Reworked lugs and finished the build. All gen parts except midcase.

Comment

Reluctantly my build is up for sale for a steal if anyone is interested in a ready made bargain 16700 Swiss only SuperLume dial.

https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...dial-superlume

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Reworked lugs and finished the build. All gen parts except midcase.
                      Perfect mate!

Very very beautiful!

Gesendet von meinem SM-G986B mit Tapatalk

Comment

I’ve found that the bezel rings with the viet cases don’t click and move bidirectional properly. I’ve purchased a separate clickspring. Does anyone have any alternative suggestions besides gen? Have you experienced similar problems with your bezel rings?

Comment

Originally posted by slash260 View Post
                          I’ve found that the bezel rings with the viet cases don’t click and move bidirectional properly. I’ve purchased a separate clickspring. Does anyone have any alternative suggestions besides gen? Have you experienced similar problems with your bezel rings?
                          The one that comes with the VN case is crap and not bidirectional - it would be suitable for a 16610 (if it still wasn’t crap)….
                          I wouldn’t go gen for click or tension springs - it’s a waste of money IMO. I’d also replace both of them - mine was actually slightly rusted when it showed up.

I’m using the long style click intended for the yachtmaster (317-16628) - it’s doesn’t bind as much as the short style going clockwise. I also think GEN’s are replaced with the longer click now:
                          https://www.esslinger.com/generic-ro...click-springs/

edit - I also have a gen assembly, but the VN as I’ve read on this thread is pretty decent…
                          Last edited by CarpetRyd; 27-11-21, 19:15. Reason: oh - gen assembly

Comment

I can confirm the click spring and tension spring are both carbon steel and not stainless steel. If these are not changed you'll be growing a rust farm under the bezel. They create a decent gen spec case and then include 25 cents worth of shitty parts with it.

My build went together quite well. No hiccups other than I'm not very familiar with this type of bezel and click arrangement. There was a bit of space under the bezel so I reduced the retention ring height on a diamond lap to lower it. I'd like to see my crystal protrude a bit higher so I have some different size gaskets on order.

Comment

Originally posted by CarpetRyd View Post

The one that comes with the VN case is crap and not bidirectional - it would be suitable for a 16610 (if it still wasn’t crap)….
                              I wouldn’t go gen for click or tension springs - it’s a waste of money IMO. I’d also replace both of them - mine was actually slightly rusted when it showed up.

I’m using the long style click intended for the yachtmaster (317-16628) - it’s doesn’t bind as much as the short style going clockwise. I also think GEN’s are replaced with the longer click now:
                              https://www.esslinger.com/generic-ro...click-springs/

edit - I also have a gen assembly, but the VN as I’ve read on this thread is pretty decent…
                              Thanks for the reply! I have a WSO clickspring and tension washer currently installed, but the bezel doesn’t click properly.

Good to hear that the VN bezel assembly is good enough. I’ll look into the one from esslinger, do you have the link for the correct one with the short style?

Comment

Originally posted by slash260 View Post

Thanks for the reply! I have a WSO clickspring and tension washer currently installed, but the bezel doesn’t click properly.

Good to hear that the VN bezel assembly is good enough. I’ll look into the one from esslinger, do you have the link for the correct one with the short style?

Can you share pics of what you got from WSO? I’m not really a fan of their parts either. Looking at what they have on the bay right now - the end looks to rounded to engage any teeth…

Get the long click spring vs short - you won’t regret it!

Comment

Working...
                                X