• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Viet Gen-Spec 16710 Frankens are here to stay - byebye BP!

Thrasher

Legendary Member
15/4/14
The Beach
I have been working on a 16710 project and recently had a catastrophic laser welding BP case failure that coupled with garbage WSO bezel and retention rings means I'm probably going to spring for a Vietnam case.

I have the following parts. Gen new crystal, Gen new hands, Gen dial, Gen new crown and tube, Gen new DW, VR3185 with gen 660 module, gen coke insert, BP case and bracelet..case is most likely unsalvageable, slim case back, WSO bezel complete which really does not work with crystal and insert.

Reactions: KJ2020

CarpetRyd

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
20/3/17
I have been working on a 16710 project and recently had a catastrophic laser welding BP case failure that coupled with garbage WSO bezel and retention rings means I'm probably going to spring for a Vietnam case.

I have the following parts. Gen new crystal, Gen new hands, Gen dial, Gen new crown and tube, Gen new DW, VR3185 with gen 660 module, gen coke insert, BP case and bracelet..case is most likely unsalvageable, slim case back, WSO bezel complete which really does not work with crystal and insert.

That sucks! I’ve been following your build in that thread! Didn’t see a question in there, but some of my thoughts:

Crown/Tube — I assume your BP build was to use the 5220 tube and 603 crown. That won’t work with the VN case. You’ll need a 6020 tube and 600 crown.

Case back — might work, but a shaved down VN case back will definitely fit.

Bezel Assemby — I’m using a gen assembly, but think the others in here have used the provided assembly… New springs a must!

Bracelet — might fit…

VN caseset — seems to be a consensus that getting a deal will be tough, but MQ seems ridiculous. Hit up the eBay guy and send it to trip! Just my two sense!

Reactions: KJ2020 and Thrasher

mnkoshka

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/12/09

Really sorry to hear about the BP case issues mate. I have a PB case going up for sale, I have machined the case to take the gen assembly. Currently has a WSO bezel assembly on it which has been machined out to better tolerances. The viet case is the best buy at around 600usd though.

The WSO outlet stuff is absolute rubbish tolerances wise... it’s hit and miss and you’d be lucky to get anything that fits at all. I just got into a lengthy battle with WSO about the quality and fitting issues with their interference fit products. I’ve literally had one item fit over the last 8 years buying from them and just got fed up paying to ship their crap back to them. Don’t know how they stay in business lol,
Of course I was promised that all their products are guaranteed to fit and are the same as OEM... even after I sent photos of measurements between OEM and their parts being way off they still stuck to their word and it was ‘my fault’ the parts don’t fit. Some of their parts have even damaged other related OEM parts in the process of installation because of the size differences.

apologies for the double post I repeated this is another thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Thrasher

Legendary Member
15/4/14
The Beach
I have revised my understanding and re read everything I think I know what needs to be done and its easier. The case does not need to be thinned. The bezel edge is polished and should be brushed, the retention ring is too tall and will cause bezel to not sit flush with case (lower the Retention ring to get bezel to sit flush), CGs are too fat and need to be thinned like 16710 not 16760 which is what they look like. Retention ring is cheap metal and should be replaced with genuine or better quality. Click spring is mono directional and needs to be Bidirectional. Case back needs to be thinned or Maybe Ken Raffles time thin case back will fit? Crown and tube to fit this case you need 6000/6020 tube and 603 crown 6mm.

Tripdog can get these cases and do the work at what I consider an affordable price especially since he has the experience.

Reactions: Angryboai

CarpetRyd

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
20/3/17
Anyone have knowledge around the 24-6330 tube?

It sounds like this is a direct replacement for the 24-6000/24-6020 tube which will allow you to use a 603 or 604 crown vs having to use a discontinued 24-600 crown.

The main concern would be the case side of the tube which would need to be 3.0mm x .35 mm

Thrasher

Legendary Member
15/4/14
The Beach
Anyone have knowledge around the 24-6330 tube?

It sounds like this is a direct replacement for the 24-6000/24-6020 tube which will allow you to use a 603 or 604 crown vs having to use a discontinued 24-600 crown.

The main concern would be the case side of the tube which would need to be 3.0mm x .35 mm

Yea someone said 603 with 6000/6020 but now it looks like 600 is correct.

Also the lugs need to be thinned and re beveled along with case can be thinned by .2 ....

Really RIF... Reading is Fundamental!

CarpetRyd

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
20/3/17
Yea someone said 603 with 6000/6020 but now it looks like 600 is correct.

Also the lugs need to be thinned and re beveled along with case can be thinned by .2 ....

Really RIF... Reading is Fundamental!

For sure - 600 crown with 6000/6020. Don’t waste your time on the 6000 either bc it needs to be broached. 6020 has the splines to use the tool.

Reactions: Thrasher

Thrasher

Legendary Member
15/4/14
The Beach
I just made a deal with Tripdog to supply the case and do all the work. For less than what MQ charges!

"When I work on the cases I slim the lugs and reprofile them, reshape the CGs, polish and brush the case, recut the chamfers. The retaining ring is slimmed, the bezel is brushed on the sides, polished on the top/teeth side.
Case back is slimmed, reprofiled, brushed & polished.
Everything is then ultrasound cleaned. I can keep the look 'as new/crisp' or soften it all up, adding a little patina/a few marks, depending on the look you want."

This is awesome. Now all I need is a good click spring , Tension washer and the 600 crown plus 6020 tube.

kadeee

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
25/10/18
By the way, I noticed that the case back of a ST 16610 case set seems to be correct for a 16710 build. Just compare both case backs in terms of shape and height.

Reactions: Thrasher

Thrasher

Legendary Member
15/4/14
The Beach
By the way, I noticed that the case back of a ST 16610 case set seems to be correct for a 16710 build. Just compare both case backs in terms of shape and height.

I'm hoping the BP case back fits the Vietnam 16710 case as I have casebacks from Ken at rafflestime that are thin and remove 1mm from over all thickness perhaps more compared to the Vietnam caseback

kadeee

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
25/10/18
Difference in height is exactely 1 mm between the bi color (12 mm thickness over all, excl. magnification) and the steel sub (13 mm thickness over all, excl. magnification).
This is due to the different case back.

Last edited:
Reactions: easy_beaching

CarpetRyd

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
20/3/17
This little firecracker showed up today! Some “tuning” needed, but worth the wait!
Not sure Pepsi is my main squeeze yet, but boy does it pop…
Going to be hard pressed to put the sub back on for…. idk… AWHILE….
This thread and those that helped with the build - can’t thank you guys enough!!!

LetMeHearItNow

Renowned Member
27/8/19
CONUS
Looks great man!! Congrats. Clean as hell.

If you need a coke insert I might know someone ;)

And mandatory as always... specs please.

Last edited:
Reactions: CarpetRyd