• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

5513 Budget build

Fedon06

Known Member
31/8/20
M Town
Hello guys,

I'm just a noob when it comes to rep world and sorry if I duplicate an existing thread. I want to build a pretty much budget 5513, only with a dial upgrade, leaving the bracelet, crystal etc. as it is.

I'm thinking of

- ordering a JK Factory 5513
- polish and shape the lugs
- ordering a Raffles 5513 dial and age it

5513 definitely needs the dial upgrade but I will pretty much distress the case, bracelet and other parts so they will look the part I guess. So I need a 2813 movt compatible dial, do you think the below Raffles dial will look the part while fitting the 2813 movt?

http://rafflesdials.com/vintage-sub...yota-8215-movement-29mm-white-super-luminova/

I will age this dial somehow (baking, tea soaking or another method) so should I also order hands or the stock JK hands will look good with Raffles dial when they are both aged?

Many thanks!

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Nice project. My advice would be - stick with the stock JKF on your first build. It's an inexpensive way to get into modding, without disappearing down the rabbit hole of upgrades and aftermarket parts. As soon as you start looking to upgrade the dial, then you'll realise that you probably want to get a better one than the Raffles, and then the hands need attention, and the bezel, and insert, and so on and so on... Whereas you can take the stock JKF, and do the mods you're thinking of, and have a perfectly decent modded 5513 at the end of the process with no additional costs.

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
Hello guys,

I'm just a noob when it comes to rep world and sorry if I duplicate an existing thread. I want to build a pretty much budget 5513, only with a dial upgrade, leaving the bracelet, crystal etc. as it is.

I'm thinking of

- ordering a JK Factory 5513
- polish and shape the lugs
- ordering a Raffles 5513 dial and age it

5513 definitely needs the dial upgrade but I will pretty much distress the case, bracelet and other parts so they will look the part I guess. So I need a 2813 movt compatible dial, do you think the below Raffles dial will look the part while fitting the 2813 movt?

http://rafflesdials.com/vintage-sub...yota-8215-movement-29mm-white-super-luminova/

I will age this dial somehow (baking, tea soaking or another method) so should I also order hands or the stock JK hands will look good with Raffles dial when they are both aged?

Many thanks!
Why did you post this 4 times?

Fedon06

Known Member
31/8/20
M Town
Nice project. My advice would be - stick with the stock JKF on your first build. It's an inexpensive way to get into modding, without disappearing down the rabbit hole of upgrades and aftermarket parts. As soon as you start looking to upgrade the dial, then you'll realise that you probably want to get a better one than the Raffles, and then the hands need attention, and the bezel, and insert, and so on and so on... Whereas you can take the stock JKF, and do the mods you're thinking of, and have a perfectly decent modded 5513 at the end of the process with no additional costs.

I'm sorry I realized now that. My connection was bad yesterday and I got errors while posting and clicked post several times. Can a moderator help delete the extra posts?

Fedon06

Known Member
31/8/20
M Town

Thank you :) I think I'll just get the raffles dial for a beginning as the stock dial is horrendous. It looks not bad for the price :D

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
The dial comes with 4 feet to fit either ETA or 2813 movement, and you snip off the ones you don't want.

The hands are for the ETA movement and won't fit the 2813. Raffles don't appear to have any suitable silver hands in stock, but there are plenty available on eBay.

Reactions: LetMeHearItNow

Fedon06

Known Member
31/8/20
M Town
The dial comes with 4 feet to fit either ETA or 2813 movement, and you snip off the ones you don't want.

The hands are for the ETA movement and won't fit the 2813. Raffles don't appear to have any suitable silver hands in stock, but there are plenty available on eBay.

Ah okay, thanks! Then I'll check for some hands :)

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
I too am getting ready to do my first 5513. I am basically going to followtripdog advice in this thread below. I ordered cartel watch, on its way from Ken over at CT. Already got a ETA 2846 low beat movement ready to go. Going with MoChaCha dial and hands...he makes a 5513 for ETA. Probably go with a Clark's crystal, I have had really good luck with his stuff.

I did a 6538 build and used a Raffles dial...absolutely hated it. The dial quality was very noticeable. It wasn't a month out and I changed it.

https://forum.replica-watch.info/forum/flame-free-zone/7824633-preparing-budget-5513-build

Fedon06

Known Member
31/8/20
M Town
I too am getting ready to do my first 5513. I am basically going to followtripdog advice in this thread below. I ordered cartel watch, on its way from Ken over at CT. Already got a ETA 2846 low beat movement ready to go. Going with MoChaCha dial and hands...he makes a 5513 for ETA. Probably go with a Clark's crystal, I have had really good luck with his stuff.

I did a 6538 build and used a Raffles dial...absolutely hated it. The dial quality was very noticeable. It wasn't a month out and I changed it.

https://forum.replica-watch.info/forum/flame-free-zone/7824633-preparing-budget-5513-build

Checked the link, great asvice from Trip for the beginning :) 2 votes against the Raffles, abort mission then :D

Also, do you know a good quality dial & hands supplier (DG2813 compatible) that accepts TransferWise or Bitcoin? I live in Turkey and Paypal is not operating here...

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
dials....you may just have to clip the dial feet and go with it....hands...not sure, maybe TigerConcepts?

kelt

You're Saying I Can Sell?
1/8/13
What is wrong with the JFK dial?, with a careful relume to age it nicely and resolve the 12 Oclock "shorty" triangle, its a good budget 5513.

TrulyCraven

Horology Curious
30/1/20
What is wrong with the JFK dial?, with a careful relume to age it nicely and resolve the 12 Oclock "shorty" triangle, its a good budget 5513.
The JKF 5513 dial most closely resembles a matte, meters first 5513 made between 1966 and 1970. The biggest issues with the dial are:

- The equal sign after "200 m" is too far down, it should be higher up. Additionally, there is too much space around the equal sign.

- The "Swiss - T
- The triangle at 12 is too small. This can be fixed when you relume during aging. Like the above issue, I've seen photos with both size triangles, so not sure what JKF currently offers.

- The kerning in "Oyster Perpetual" is off.

Also, for those considering a raffles dial, I believe they are 29mm while the JKF 5513 takes a 26mm dial. So you may end up shaving off quite a bit of the minute markers and "Swiss - T

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: deadpan

Byby75

Horology Curious
24/9/16
Hi, I am sorry to join the post

I am also looking for JKF 5513 but none of the trusted dealers seems to have it currently in stock.
Can you tell me where you bought it? (If you don't want to make any advertise feel free to PM me)

Thanks ;)

Daithi66

Horology Curious
20/8/20

I am also looking for JKF 5513 but none of the trusted dealers seems to have it currently in stock.
Can you tell me where you bought it? (If you don't want to make any advertise feel free to PM me)

Thanks ;)

I'm new to this stuff, but I've seen Marvelous Replica mentioned several times in regards to a TD offering an inexpensive 5513. Have you checked with him to see if he has any in stock?

Last edited:

Fedon06

Known Member
31/8/20
M Town

Thanks ;)

Well I got one from TrustyTime, it wont be a problem to mention him as he is a TD in the forum :)

Fedon06

Known Member
31/8/20
M Town
So I am having some issues on finding an aftermarket dial because Paypal is not available in our country and I cannot make the payment.

Jkf dial is pretty ugly but I may need to do my best with what I have now. I found a master dial refurbisher here in my town, will try to mod the dial towards gen specs, for the next step.

will share with you once I have the results!

TrulyCraven

Horology Curious
30/1/20
So I am having some issues on finding an aftermarket dial because Paypal is not available in our country and I cannot make the payment.

Jkf dial is pretty ugly but I may need to do my best with what I have now. I found a master dial refurbisher here in my town, will try to mod the dial towards gen specs, for the next step.

will share with you once I have the results!
If you are able to use ebay, searching for refinished dials will usually bring something up.

Also, if you are going to be aging the watch, the JKF dial is good to practice on! And while the dial is not supe accurate, it still looks great after you age it.

Last edited:

Fedon06

Known Member
31/8/20
M Town
If you are able to use ebay, searching for refinished dials will usually bring something up.

Also, if you are going to be aging the watch, the JKF dial is good to practice on! And while the dial is not supe accurate, it still looks great after you age it.

Thanks for the advice! I will then try to age the dial and cover up the giveaways of it..

also on the reluming, how can I do it or what should I say to my watchmaker to describe it? What lume should we use or other details?

Can we solve the triangle issue with just extending lume paint?

sorry I dont have much info on lume types and how they’re applied :D