• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rolex Red Depth Explorer ref. 6610

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Yes, it was a Custom dial I asked to be made, but the factory always makes a few when I commission a dial, so there were a few others made too.

Pad printing I think, can't see it being silkscreen.

Thanks tripdog really interesting ... could you please tell us some more about it ?

About the printing ...
Is the gilt part real negative gilt (black on gilt) or gilt printed on a black dial ?
From the pics you posted I would say real negative but could you please confirm ?

About the case ...
Did JMB or you reengraved the case and caseback ?
If YES could you please post some pics ?
I'm working on an early Red Depth 6610 (SN 113XXX) with open 6 on the "165 ft" and it seems those earlies had specific engravements (BREVET +, specific font, etc ...)

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
Thanks tripdog really interesting ... could you please tell us some more about it ?

About the printing ...
Is the gilt part real negative gilt (black on gilt) or gilt printed on a black dial ?
From the pics you posted I would say real negative but could you please confirm ?

About the case ...
Did JMB or you reengraved the case and caseback ?
If YES could you please post some pics ?
I'm working on an early Red Depth 6610 (SN 113XXX) with open 6 on the "165 ft" and it seems those earlies had specific engravements (BREVET +, specific font, etc ...)

It's a true gilt dial - negative relief.

The case was engraved with the standard 1610 Explorer references, that's how it was sent to me, but obviously jmb could do the correct engravings if you asked him to..

I don't have the watch any longer, it was built for someone.

Erinoush

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
10/7/19
UAE / EUROPE
Yes, it was a Custom dial I asked to be made, but the factory always makes a few when I commission a dial, so there were a few others made too.

Is there a chance you could do custom dials for other watches Tripdog ?

BTW great watch...

Last edited:

headtub

You're Saying I Can Sell?
10/8/16
Switzerland

How Can I get my hands on one... been looking high and low for a nice explorer dial..

DrHuHill

27/11/18
the deep blue sea

Are these hands, that you used, from slays 6538 hand set?

I used it for my early 1960s 1016 build sn#5xx.xxx
But I shoved off the white painting from the second hand
9aa9b22dfef8dbfaf86d0720fc258fd9.jpg

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
How Can I get my hands on one... been looking high and low for a nice explorer dial..

The clue is in the quote - it was a commissioned dial, so it would need to be re-commissioned, which can take anything from 2 to 6 months to complete.

custer

You're Saying I Can Sell?
29/5/10
What a great build. I NEED one of those dials:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Horseback Leader

Horology Curious
29/12/21

Obviously I’m very late to this convo but as I just picked up a Jmb 6610 case, have to ask if any of this batch of dials are still available?