• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rolex Red Depth Explorer ref. 6610

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
We built the Rolex Explorer because there isn’t any watch repair shop on top of the Matterhorn.

1.jpg

Rolex has always relied heavily on clever marketing for their watches - that above was the headline of a 1964 ad for the Rolex Explorer. Its launch coincided with the use of the Rolex Explorer ref 6098 by Sir Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay in the successful conquest of Mount Everest in 1953.

2.jpg

I'm not a fan of the Rolex Explorer line, cases on the older versions are quite small and I don't really like 3 - 6 - 9 dials, no matter what the case size.

3.jpg

But this one is a little different, the gilt dial adds a little something and the red depth text adds a little bit of much needed color and visual interest.

4.jpg

Some history: The reference 6098, introduced in 1953 was followed by the 6298, the 6150 and the 6350. The 6610 was introduced in 1955/56 , and came with some important changes - words “Officially Certified Chronometer” on the dial, and the movement was also upgraded from the A296 to the 1030.

5.jpg

It had a 36 mm stainless steel case and featured a gilt chapter ring dial. It seems the 'red depth' version was only produced in 1956.

6.jpg

Because the dials were lumed with radium - the radium accelerates corrosion of metals, and damages paint etc - they can be found in all sorts of condition. From dials and hands heavily marked by the radioactive lume to examples which for some reason remain in very good condition with even patina.

7.jpg

No gen parts on this one, aside form the Swiss ETA inside, but IMO it's a great looking watch, thanks in large part to the dial.

Thanks for looking.

Lawny

23/7/19
UK
Great read trip thank you. I myself have never been a fan of the explorer but this one certainly has plenty of character. I would choose this any day over the newer models. Very nice.

Reactions: tripdog and stufuse

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
What a beautiful piece trip. I never knew this dial existed, it's the crown jewel of another masterful creation, wow!

Reactions: tripdog

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Beautifully built and completely authentic looking piece, as always - bravo trip!

sfgerl

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
25/10/18
I have never seen this dial either, and agree it does add something extra to what I had always thought was a somewhat boring dial. Nicely done, Trip - as always!

I actually love looking at the old Rolex ads. I think it was brilliant marketing - clever one-liners attached to interesting photos.

Speaking of, is there a thread on this forum devoted to them? I'm going to go search....

Docrolex

Known Member
28/12/19
Germany
I love those watches for understatement and ease of wear. I built a 99% full gen parts Explorer 5500 with expandable rivet bracelet many years ago and it probably is the watch which got the most wrist time of all my watches till now. I understand that most guys here prefer Submariners and GMTs, but to me they look all the same unless you look at them through a loupe. These old watches were distinct and nowdays you wont see them on any wrist , that makes them so classy.

Reactions: sfgerl

philwongnz

I'm Pretty Popular
27/1/14
Amazing work, here's a gen I had seen in a shop
b2b77e2855a3435d247dd82a4626566d.jpg

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

DARKEST

5/4/06
We built the Rolex Explorer because there isn’t any watch repair shop on top of the Matterhorn.

1.jpg

Rolex has always relied heavily on clever marketing for their watches - that above was the headline of a 1964 ad for the Rolex Explorer. Its launch coincided with the use of the Rolex Explorer ref 6098 by Sir Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay in the successful conquest of Mount Everest in 1953.

2.jpg

I'm not a fan of the Rolex Explorer line, cases on the older versions are quite small and I don't really like 3 - 6 - 9 dials, no matter what the case size.

3.jpg

But this one is a little different, the gilt dial adds a little something and the red depth text adds a little bit of much needed color and visual interest.

4.jpg

Some history: The reference 6098, introduced in 1953 was followed by the 6298, the 6150 and the 6350. The 6610 was introduced in 1955/56 , and came with some important changes - words “Officially Certified Chronometer” on the dial, and the movement was also upgraded from the A296 to the 1030.

5.jpg

It had a 36 mm stainless steel case and featured a gilt chapter ring dial. It seems the 'red depth' version was only produced in 1956.

6.jpg

Because the dials were lumed with radium - the radium accelerates corrosion of metals, and damages paint etc - they can be found in all sorts of condition. From dials and hands heavily marked by the radioactive lume to examples which for some reason remain in very good condition with even patina.

7.jpg

No gen parts on this one, aside form the Swiss ETA inside, but IMO it's a great looking watch, thanks in large part to the dial.

Thanks for looking.

The "gen part" on this one is you Trip. Always love the historical context given in your presentation. Kind of understand where your coming from in terms of not being a fan of the Explorer line but I think on a given day it has a place on the wrist. Would you mind giving a breakdown of the components/costs used aside from the jmb case and the ETA machine.

d4v3

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
20/3/13
Awesome watch and magnificent thread tyvm for the information trip, the white seconds hands looks fabulous!

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Are these dials for sale anywhere or is that a custom job?

- negative gilt dial
- 3D red depth
IMHO that dial is a complete custom ... padprinted or decal

maybe tripdog could confirm ... or not

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
- negative gilt dial
- 3D red depth
IMHO that dial is a complete custom ... padprinted or decal

maybe tripdog could confirm ... or not

Yes, it was a Custom dial I asked to be made, but the factory always makes a few when I commission a dial, so there were a few others made too.

Pad printing I think, can't see it being silkscreen.

Reactions: KJ2020