• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

1675 GMT bezel turns very easily

shel504

Renowned Member
26/5/20
Hey guys, I have a 1675 that was ready built through a TD and I'm pretty pleased with the overall look (needing a better dial). My problem is that the bezel turns VERY easily. I've done quite a bit of reading and I'm aware that it's a bidirectional bezel and isn't supposed to click, but when turning, should have some resistance. I've read some say that on theirs, they kind of have to push the bezel down wards in order to turn it freely.

It's my understanding that under the bezel is supposed to be a tension/friction washer. I'm assuming this is missing, but if so, wouldn't my bezel have a little wobble to it? It's otherwise fixed in place well, just spins very easily. There's literally zero play in the bezel now for movement that could press against a washer.

I've looked up where to buy the washer, but with my inexperience, I'd rather not pop the bezel off before I could get a little more knowledge.

Appreciate any insight you have. Thanks

Hor-Fan

When the going gets weird
Supporter
Certified
14/1/17
Bat Country
Chances are the tension washer is in there, it just needs adjusting. Bend it into a slight taco shape to increase tension and reinstall.

shel504

Renowned Member
26/5/20
Chances are the tension washer is in there, it just needs adjusting. Bend it into a slight taco shape to increase tension and reinstall.

Ahhh, ok. Thanks!

would it be worth it to replace? If it's flattened out now and I bend it, wouldn't reinstalling just flatten it again. I'm guessing that a poor quality washer wouldn't create much resistance and would deform back to a flattened state easily?

Last edited:

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Ahhh, ok. Thanks!

would it be worth it to replace? If it's flattened out now and I bend it, wouldn't reinstalling just flatten it again. I'm guessing that a poor quality washer wouldn't create much resistance and would deform back to a flattened state easily?

They're flat to start with. They just need one or two bends put in them to make them create a little more spring/friction between the bezel and the case. If you buy another one, it'll be the same as the one you currently have.

shel504

Renowned Member
26/5/20
They're flat to start with. They just need one or two bends put in them to make them create a little more spring/friction between the bezel and the case. If you buy another one, it'll be the same as the one you currently have.

Well damn. There's my inexperience coming through. I'll pop it off later on and see what's inside. Thanks!

deadpan

1/6/19
Over the horizon
Ahhh, ok. Thanks!

They’re made of (somewhat) sprung steel, so bending a little (every now and then) stays there for quite a while. As the others have said, pop that bezel off and you’ll meet the washer immediately. Try popping the bezel off with your fingers rather than a case knife-in my experience a case knife can slip under the plexi retainer, and can take the whole lot off (not a massive deal if it does though). Putting too much of a bend in the tension ring can make the bezel tricky to install again (or lock it up), so just bend a little and keep refining until you’re happy. If you get stuck or need more help I can post pics of my 1680 bezel, spring and head so you have a visual to refer to.

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Actually, I say "flat" when I should say "inadequately curved"... :)

You'll see once you pop off the bezel - which should be an easy job. Unless your GMT is by BP - in which case you may find the bezel's held in place by a wire circlip holding the bezel onto the crystal retaining ring. If it's one of those, you'll need to remove the insert and prise out the circlip with something pointy like a 10a scalpel.

shel504

Renowned Member
26/5/20
They’re made of (somewhat) sprung steel, so bending a little (every now and then) stays there for quite a while. As the others have said, pop that bezel off and you’ll meet the washer immediately. Try popping the bezel off with your fingers rather than a case knife-in my experience a case knife can slip under the plexi retainer, and can take the whole lot off (not a massive deal if it does though). Putting too much of a bend in the tension ring can make the bezel tricky to install again (or lock it up), so just bend a little and keep refining until you’re happy. If you get stuck or need more help I can post pics of my 1680 bezel, spring and head so you have a visual to refer to.

Really appreciate the advice and help. Once I get the bezel off later on, I'll check it out and incrementally adjust is as you say. I'd be thrilled with even a little resistance. I'll post back with the finished results or more complications. Hopefully the former. lol

shel504

Renowned Member
26/5/20

Alright, I managed to get the bezel off, and here's what I'm dealing with. When the bezel popped off, a thin plastic gasket looking thing came with it. No tension/friction washer. I included a pic of the underside of the bezel. Here's where I am, is the plastic gasket looking thing supposed to be there at all? can a tension washer fit under my bezel as it's shown in the pic?

Again, I appreciate all the help gang. I'm looking forward to learning more about working on my watches, but not gonna lie. Even the simplest thing seems scary as hell. lol

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Keep the plastic ring safely, you will need to fit the bezel assembly back in place again.
The bezel assembly can be separated in 4 parts:

retaining ring
friction washer
outer bezel
aluminium insert

Slide a blade under the insert and lift it up, it's glued to the outer bezel. Once you've done this you should separate the three metal parts by inserting the blade between the outer bezel and the retaining ring

Reactions: Carlytoss

shel504

Renowned Member
26/5/20
I'm assuming that what I'm describing as a gasket is the retaining ring? It's currently back on the rest of the watch, sitting around the outer edge of the crystal.

I don't see a friction washer though. It didn't come off as a separate piece and I don't see anything still on the watch or under the bezel.

Will the aluminum insert need to be separated from the rest of the bezel in order to reassemble properly? I'd rather not take those two pieces apart if I didn't have to.

Hor-Fan

When the going gets weird
Supporter
Certified
14/1/17
Bat Country
No, gasket is a gasket. The retaining ring is part of the bezel assembly. The friction washer is sandwiched between the retaining ring (bottom) and bezel ring (top). The insert is held in the bezel ring with adhesive. Heat it up with a hair dryer and the insert should be easy to remove. Then pry the retaining ring loose from the bezel ring to access the friction washer.

shel504

Renowned Member
26/5/20
Alright, I have the aluminum insert out, and it's laid aside. Now I can see what you were referring to, as in the inside of the bezel assembly stays put while the outer rim that's attached to it spins.

Based on the description above, I should have three pieces left, correct? That being said, I can't seem to get the remaining pieces of the bezel apart. I'm sure there's at least two pieces there (as I said above). At this point, should the friction washer just fall out? I still can't tell that there is a third piece present.

deadpan

1/6/19
Over the horizon
Plexi retainer ring is like a top hat without the top. That’s the lower piece when on the watch. On the ridge of the retainer ring sits the washer. You can’t see it yet due to it being sandwiched between the plexi retainer and the bezel itself. You might be able to pop the retainer ring out now, but don’t bend it. When what you have has happened to me (in that it all comes out together) I usually pop it out by applying pressure down with thumbs through the bezel itself. (Hard to describe here)

shel504

Renowned Member
26/5/20
IMG_1845.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1845.jpg Views:	2 Size:	39.2 KB ID:	9329049

IMG_1846.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1846.jpg Views:	2 Size:	46.0 KB ID:	9329050

IMG_1847.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1847.jpg Views:	1 Size:	39.0 KB ID:	9329051

This is where I am. The first two pic are looking at the top side of the bezel assembly. If the insert were there, you'd be looking at it. The third pic is the underside. When you say apply pressure, it sounds like the direction you're describing is to push the center portion of the ring shown through the bottom of the assembly. Is that correct?

***** Sorry about the attached pics. No idea how those got there. The numbered pics I was referring to are above.

Attachments

• IMG_1845.jpg
    IMG_1845.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1846.jpg
    IMG_1846.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

deadpan

1/6/19
Over the horizon
Absolutely. Index fingers wrapped under the bezel, both thumbs applying pressure to push the inner (retaining ring) out through the bottom of the assembly.

shel504

Renowned Member
26/5/20
ok, It's apart, but that was tough. Now, I have the outer bezel ring with the teeth, a very fine plastic "O" ring, and the inside of the bezel. I looks like there might be a round flat piece of metal inside the last portion mentioned, but I haven't been able to separate it yet. If it's a separate piece, it's laying dead flat and tight on top of this inner metal portion

shel504

Renowned Member
26/5/20
IMG_1848.jpg

IMG_1849.jpg
I'm assuming that the piece in the second pic would the one that should have the friction washer on top of it? I think I can picture how that would work. However, I don't see anything there. At first, I thought I could make out a faint line, and was thinking that maybe that was the edge of the washer, but I think that was just a line created by part rubbing together. Even with a magnifying glass, I can't see another piece to come apart.

deadpan

1/6/19
Over the horizon
Well done. Sometimes, the friction washer gets stuck in the bezel itself (sits against the insert which you’ve removed), but is usually easy to see. If it’s not there, then that prob. Explains what’s wrong. You can buy them on the popular auction site.

shel504

Renowned Member
26/5/20
Already ordered my man. I really appreciate all the help! I'll follow back up once the part arrives.