• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

6239 Daytona - yet another ongoing P0ps project

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
One of the (too many) projects I currently have ongoing is a 6239 Daytona. I've got a donor Cartel watch and a Vietnam dial. This project was meant to be a simple dial swap, but it's going the way of all my projects... I predict that eventually the entire watch will be different parts to the ones I started with.

I mentioned in another thread how I disassembled the watch and then absent-mindedly threw the hands into the welcoming jaws of the carpet Gods when I moved my work mat and forgot I hadn't stored the hands. I found all of them over the course of the next couple of days, bar one subdial hand. So I ordered a couple of sets of hands from Alpha Watch. Then, I vibrated all the paint off the bezel markers in the ultrasonic cleaning bath. The Cartel bezel is pretty awful anyway so I wasn't too upset, and I have a replacement incoming from WSO.

Anyway, that's the gruesome background to another comedy p0pperini build.

Now to my first request for crowd-sourced advice... The Viet dial has a suitable "old dial" look, but it's missing the 12 and 6 lume plots.

ZhDTAt.jpg

My question is, does anyone have any advice regarding the repainting of these plots? I've made two attempts so far, using a fine oiler with a) some cheap Anchor lume powder and binder, and b) "Zupa Paint" powder with "Killabitz" medium.

First off, getting the right consistency is a bugger. If it's thick enough not to spread, it doesn't want to snuggle up to the metal plot by capillary action. But I'm scared of thinning it too much and it spreading. Plus, I don't have any "proper" lume paste thinner. I used water with the option B ingredients (I bought it because it can be mixed with water) but the result was the mix was then a bit transparent which looked useless on the black dial print.

So I'm after general advice. Can anyone give me any pointers to getting some form of replacement "liquid" into those lume positions (ie, I don't really care if it's not actually lume). It just needs to be something that's the right colour and consistency. If anyone who's done this can give me some ideas on it, that'd be swell!

Reactions: stufuse

buluth

You're Saying I Can Sell?
19/6/15
You dont need the 12 oclock lume because the original also doesnt have it. You only need the 6 oclock one.

deadpan

1/6/19
Over the horizon
I’m by no means, in any way whatsoever, at all skilled at applying lume (or in my case paint) to dials, but...looking at the shape of the plots (bead like), I feel like I’ve read somewhere that someone drips lume onto a bit of plastic (Jiffy bag might do)/ waits for it to set, and then literally glues it in place. Just wondering if that or a variant of it might work (at least then you can get the practice in without risk of ruining the dial)?

Last edited:
Reactions: p0pperini

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
You dont need the 12 oclock lume because the original also doesnt have it. You only need the 6 oclock one.
Well, that’s made the job 50% easier! :)

Every photo of the PN has the chrono seconds hand obscuring this detail - so I’d never noticed. And the Cartel dial has lume on the 12 marker. So thanks for pointing it out.

Reactions: DaleM

Mr Seamaster

Renowned Member
27/4/12
I‘ve heard something of using varnish and mixing it in a bowl with some water color pigments.

I‘d give it a try.

Im talking about this water color box.
Don’t know how it’s called in english lol

f2b36da6a803eafed3f82890f09379d3.jpg

I‘d scrape some off, mix it to the color I want, put some varnish to it, mix the whole thing again and apply.

Should work just fine.

Cheers mate!

And while you’re working on yours, here’s some eyecandy of mine.
53b05876361c910f120c29538c500351.jpg

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Thanks MrS - I’m tending to think I’ll probably end up using paint of one sort or another. The house is full of it, what with Mrs. p0ps being an artist and all... also, nice ‘tona!

Also, cheers deadpan - the suggestion to make the plot from a lil blob and glue it is worth considering too.

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
If you don't want to invest a lot of money into a proper lume kit, you could try pigments used for models like Ak Interactive or Tamiya with the proper binder. You should make a thick enough paste and apply with a very fine oiler. Thick like honey is correct

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
If you don't want to invest a lot of money into a proper lume kit, you could try pigments used for models like Ak Interactive or Tamiya with the proper binder. You should make a thick enough paste and apply with a very fine oiler. Thick like honey is correct
Cheers for the tips KW. I’m still working on getting the right consistency/opacity to the base liquid. I’m beginning to think I need to at least get some decent lume medium/thinners, in order to have a basic fluid with which to get the right flow. Trying to emulate lume with acrylic mediums, acrylic paint, poster paint is going nowhere. And the surface of a matt dial is very porous - anything water-based soaks straight in (I know you know all this - I’m just thinking out loud!).

I have plenty of paint and pigments - as I mentioned, both the wife and me are artists and I also used to do a lot of scale military model making. So colouring the base liquid is no problem.

Reactions: stufuse

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Cheers for the tips KW. I’m still working on getting the right consistency/opacity to the base liquid. I’m beginning to think I need to at least get some decent lume medium/thinners, in order to have a basic fluid with which to get the right flow. Trying to emulate lume with acrylic mediums, acrylic paint, poster paint is going nowhere. And the surface of a matt dial is very porous - anything water-based soaks straight in (I know you know all this - I’m just thinking out loud!).

I have plenty of paint and pigments - as I mentioned, both the wife and me are artists and I also used to do a lot of scale military model making. So colouring the base liquid is no problem.

As you already figured out it's all a matter of finding the right binder for your pigment. Good luck!

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
10/3/18
London
I think you are gonna find that the replacement bezel is not going to fit if it’s gen spec. You can’t replace the bezel on a cartel Daytona as they won’t accept gen spec parts with major mods. You’ll be be better off re blacking the cartel bezel if you are working to a budget.

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
I think you are gonna find that the replacement bezel is not going to fit if it’s gen spec. You can’t replace the bezel on a cartel Daytona as they won’t accept gen spec parts with major mods. You’ll be be better off re blacking the cartel bezel if you are working to a budget.

It's a WSO bezel. I have no idea whether it's gen spec or not. But I'll find a way - Dremel, sandpaper, hammer and glue are all my middle names. The cartel bezel is pants - if I wanted to replace it with another, I already have a spare. "Working to a budget" - lol, everything I touch ends up costing 500 times what I initially set out to spend.

Bad Wolf

Horology Curious
12/1/23
United Kingdom
Hello,

Sorry for the thread necromancy, but do you remember which vendor you got the dial from ? It has exactly the correct amount of patina for a build I am contemplating.

Reactions: bca77

Procurator

Strawcruncher
Gold Patron
Certified
15/1/20
SEA
I mentioned in another thread how I disassembled the watch and then absent-mindedly threw the hands into the welcoming jaws of the carpet Gods when I moved my work mat and forgot I hadn't stored the hands.
🤣🤣🤣 I love you man 🤣 You never fail to crack me up 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 369mafia