• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Tudor 9411 Vietnam build

Parto

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
2/7/18
UK
Decided to play around with a spare dial to try and get the texture on the dial and lume I'm after.

This is the effect I'm after with bubbling/flaking on the dial
20201017-130254.jpg

I triwd a few different effects in each quarter of a spare raffles dial using various thickness and acrylic colour combinations. I then placed under a very hot grill to blister the lume. Need to improve my colour application on the lume (which I rushed) and smaller acrylic dots are the way to go I think (top right quarter of dial)
Before
20201017-125446.jpg

After
20201017-125805.jpg

Parto

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
2/7/18
UK
Still waiting for hands but the crown tube has arrived so I've fitted that. After my dry run on a spare dial I've now aged the Vietnam dial to give it some texture and quite pleased with the result
20201025-134315.jpg

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16
Still waiting for hands but the crown tube has arrived so I've fitted that. After my dry run on a spare dial I've now aged the Vietnam dial to give it some texture and quite pleased with the result
20201025-134315.jpg

Good work mate, how did you manage to keep the printing on the dial fairly white

Parto

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
2/7/18
UK
Today I shortened the crown tube as was obstructing the crown and leaving too big a gap to the case. Then test fitted the dial and realised there isn't enough clearance for the hour hand so going to have to change the pinions. One step forward two steps back at the moment.!!
20201026-140741.jpg

Parto

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
2/7/18
UK
Good work mate, how did you manage to keep the printing on the dial fairly white

I didn't splatter the acrylic paint I put it on by hand using a pin. I rounded the pin head first as my test dial had small holes in the acrylic where I applied it. I also noticed the gen dial doesn't have spots/dots but tends to have uneven shapes so I tried to replicate this

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16
Today I shortened the crown tube as was obstructing the crown and leaving too big a gap to the case. Then test fitted the dial and realised there isn't enough clearance for the hour hand so going to have to change the pinions. One step forward two steps back at the moment.!!
20201026-140741.jpg

Looking very good, about your hand set/pinions, they may not need changed over to be higher. Did you test fit the hands? Because I thought I ran into the same building mine 79090 the hour hand sits very close to the dial indeed, may want to test fit first unless you want the hand stack to be bit higher.

cheers! Looking great all around keep us updated

Reactions: Parto

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16
I didn't splatter the acrylic paint I put it on by hand using a pin. I rounded the pin head first as my test dial had small holes in the acrylic where I applied it. I also noticed the gen dial doesn't have spots/dots but tends to have uneven shapes so I tried to replicate this

Oh, I thought you baked it didn't know it was paint looks great!

Parto

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
2/7/18
UK
Oh, I thought you baked it didn't know it was paint looks great!

In the end decided not to bake as it can destroy the lume and like you say tends to darken all the white text. Paint is much easier to control and a lot less risky

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16
In the end decided not to bake as it can destroy the lume and like you say tends to darken all the white text. Paint is much easier to control and a lot less risky

Well it turned put great! Nicely applied looks like real aged patina and you nailed it on the grooves/bumps

I guess a little show and tell while we're at it lol
here's my yuki dial I relumed the hr markers plots because original was flat and unappealing.. maybe someday I'll replace it with Vietnam dial

Reactions: 369mafia and Parto

stufuse

Put Some Respect On My Name
22/10/17
UK
Nice puffy lume !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
Well it turned put great! Nicely applied looks like real aged patina and you nailed it on the grooves/bumps

I guess a little show and tell while we're at it lol
here's my yuki dial I relumed the hr markers plots because original was flat and unappealing.. maybe someday I'll replace it with Vietnam dial

You're getting there. The genuine lume is very lightly domed but generally fairly flat in nature.
You see the dimples in the centers of the plots? This is a result of too-soupy a lume mix too thickly applied. Basically, due to the thickness the inside doesn't dry as fast as the outside cause the dimple.
On your next go around, use a little less lume on each plot.

Reactions: Parto

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16
You're getting there. The genuine lume is very lightly domed but generally fairly flat in nature.
You see the dimples in the centers of the plots? This is a result of too-soupy a lume mix too thickly applied. Basically, due to the thickness the inside doesn't dry as fast as the outside cause the dimple.
On your next go around, use a little less lume on each plot.

Lol I remember you said this to me last time,

I'll make a note of it though ;)

Reactions: hanski

Redheart

17/5/19
20201025-134315.jpg

Wow, that is very inspiring! Looks like a great technique.i always loved the textured tudor dials, but was afraid to bury the text under applied make up. Yours looks very sharp! How did you achieved that?

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16
Hands arrived so I aged and installed today. The bezel isn't a particularly tight fit and spins freely so I some further work needed but quite pleased with how its looking
20201104-222703.jpg
20201104-222748.jpg

Looking great! A little over bleached insert for my liking but to each his own!

The bezel is an easy fix you'll need a thicker tensioner spring, (flat washer) in between bezel and retainer ring. I purchased mine from st

Reactions: fuzzmex and Parto

Finchoz

Known Member
29/7/18
looks good boss! You're not intending on selling it by chance?

mrbrown0916

Certified
24/1/15
Can anyone here suggest a good datewheel for a Tudor Sub without having to purchase an entire movement?