• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

HELP with v72 6263 daytona build looking for builders

Peguine

Mac and Cheese sucks
18/3/19
At a mcdonalds birthday party
Hey guys, i recently commissioned a 6263 v72 daytona build from kilowattore, unfortunately something went wrong and he is unable to complete the build. I am looking for builders familiar with the v72 and the ruby case and phong hands that can work on the build. Do let me know thanks! Cosmograph4Ever slay can you guys do it? kilowattore says that the hands don't really fit on the tubes and the pushers don't activate when the watch has been cased.

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
V72 doesn't fit the case with gen spec pushers, Phong hands don't fit anything, let alone V72.

sputim

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Patron
Certified
20/1/13
I built countless v72 tonas and unfortunately phong hands are the only route unless going gen. I never encountered issues with a vn case and gen or gen spec pushers (be it p302 or mkII). Some gen spec pushers have a pusher stem which is too long. To fix this issue it needs to be installed with threadlock and then sanded down to the exact right length. Be careful as you don‘t want to sand down too much and once sanded down they can‘t really be removed without damaging the pusher stem.

Back to the hands, trip is right they never fit haha! Every single hand except the hour hand needs a lot of attention. The worst are the subdial hands, which usually need to be broached with the smalles drill you can imagine (google micro/ dentist drill to see what I mean). The large chrono hand from phong is a nightmare too! Broaching gets even more difficult and usually they come with a loose pinion so the chrono won‘t perfectly set back to zero as it wobbles basically. In order to fix this you have to glue it with a micro drop from the underside (ofc not closing the pinion hole).

Last but bot least the tolerances of the VN cases are good but usually not good enough. Most cases I get need some serious attention to make the movement fit and to ensure that everything works as it should. The slightest pressure might stop the movement or chrono from working! Hence, a proper v72 build is probably one of the most difficult vintage builds and it takes me hours and tons of headache to complete it.

Good luck! And one of mine as motivation

a269ce6dceb12c88adf8060981d63444.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
I built countless v72 tonas and unfortunately phong hands are the only route unless going gen. I never encountered issues with a vn case and gen or gen spec pushers (be it p302 or mkII). Some gen spec pushers have a pusher stem which is too long. To fix this issue it needs to be installed with threadlock and then sanded down to the exact right length. Be careful as you don‘t want to sand down too much and once sanded down they can‘t really be removed without damaging the pusher stem.

Back to the hands, trip is right they never fit haha! Every single hand except the hour hand needs a lot of attention. The worst are the subdial hands, which usually need to be broached with the smalles drill you can imagine (google micro/ dentist drill to see what I mean). The large chrono hand from phong is a nightmare too! Broaching gets even more difficult and usually they come with a loose pinion so the chrono won‘t perfectly set back to zero as it wobbles basically. In order to fix this you have to glue it with a micro drop from the underside (ofc not closing the pinion hole).

Last but bot least the tolerances of the VN cases are good but usually not good enough. Most cases I get need some serious attention to make the movement fit and to ensure that everything works as it should. The slightest pressure might stop the movement or chrono from working! Hence, a proper v72 build is probably one of the most difficult vintage builds and it takes me hours and tons of headache to complete it.

Good luck! And one of mine as motivation

Exactly what he said ^^, but I've never found gen spec pushers that weren't too long for a V72.

sputim

Supporter
Patron
Certified
20/1/13
Exactly what he said ^^, but I've never found gen spec pushers that weren't too long for a V72.

Me neither unless gen ofc. Makes me wonder why as they are not a fraction too long but rather substantially. However, the sanding down method works quite well at least.

d4v3

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
20/3/13
Gen v72 hands have 3 different hole sizes (0.28 x 0.25 x 0.23mm) one its easy to spot the other two not so.

I have ordered 6 sets from Phong, 3 came just fine, 3 needed attention as tripdog and sputim well said

a set for 7032 was really problematic holes were not fitting and the "tube" of one of the hands was too short ( compared to the donor movement hand)

have you tried the startimes supply v72 hands?

they have decent quality but i still havent had the chance to try them ( got 2 pairs but projects still pending)

sputim

Supporter
Patron
Certified
20/1/13

Me neither unless gen ofc. Makes me wonder why as they are not a fraction too long but rather substantially. However, the sanding down method works quite well at least.

Reactions: d4v3

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Thanks all for the advice.

Sanding down the pushers sounds like a reasonable option. I assume once I got them the right length they will activate the chrono correctly? Chrono works pretty fine out of the case (well except hands resetting to any position they like...).
Of course I realized the three chrono hands were different size. I was so naive to assume phong's hands would have fitted snugly on the v72 pinions, especially the large chrono hand is a negative surprise. Recurring to glue is not what I like to do though, I'd like to find a better solution.

Luckily case set seems not to cause too much pressure on the movement, which is working fine both outside and inside the case.

sputim

Supporter
Patron
Certified
20/1/13
Thanks all for the advice.

Sanding down the pushers sounds like a reasonable option. I assume once I got them the right length they will activate the chrono correctly? Chrono works pretty fine out of the case (well except hands resetting to any position they like...).
Of course I realized the three chrono hands were different size. I was so naive to assume phong's hands would have fitted snugly on the v72 pinions, especially the large chrono hand is a negative surprise. Recurring to glue is not what I like to do though, I'd like to find a better solution.

Luckily case set seems not to cause too much pressure on the movement, which is working fine both outside and inside the case.

I can guarantee you there is no other way around glue if the center chrono hand is loose! It you want to avoid glue you need to go gen. The sub hands don‘t need glue and there I would refrain from it. And ofc I am not talking about glueing anything to the movement pinions!!!

yodog

Patron
Certified
2/9/11
In my parent's basement
I just built one and would echo everything people have said and throw you another wrench:

1. phong hands are the best after broaching and cutting of the chrono tube which is too long for a non converted v72

2. pushers too long, I just cut them down. hopefully you dont need to change them :)

3. on my most recent build, the movement and dial itself was not lining up with the stem hole. the topside of the v72 I was using I guess was too thick, and one clue that supports that idea was that the gen spec dial feet didnt even reach the retaining screws.

a rolex 727 I guess had a bunch if stuff done to it aside from the bridges...

Reactions: tripdog

jcher

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
1/8/17
I just built one and would echo everything people have said and throw you another wrench:

1. phong hands are the best after broaching and cutting of the chrono tube which is too long for a non converted v72

2. pushers too long, I just cut them down. hopefully you dont need to change them :)

3. on my most recent build, the movement and dial itself was not lining up with the stem hole. the topside of the v72 I was using I guess was too thick, and one clue that supports that idea was that the gen spec dial feet didnt even reach the retaining screws.

a rolex 727 I guess had a bunch if stuff done to it aside from the bridges...

I also just built one here are my key take away to complement your answer:

1) In most cases a v72c is used for these builds - if the chrono wheel isn't changed for the short version (9 mm) Phong's chrono hand will be seating too high.
5AB3637F-17C9-48F8-972F-747AB44448966a970befd96c2a79.jpg

2) For my build, I went for the cousins pushers P302 and bought the shortest version of the 2 - yet they were way too long, best advice is to cut them, sand them (emery paper 240), redo the thread with a piercing saw so they can be removed again ;-)
ACE858EE-2BAF-4BF7-8658-B77AA6EEADBA0b6510a4cac3ac32.jpg

3) Still on a converted v72c, while the calendar plates are removed the hour wheel needs to be changed, else as you described it the dial won't fit properly. Nonetheless, even after the hour wheel is replaced for the correct one the dial won't sit properly as half of the dial will be "floating".

Here is of picture of the correct hour wheel:

AF32E193-8AB1-4C2D-8753-F8ACE5FE56FDca0615718f7f8f30.jpg

Last edited: