• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Built: 1983 Submariner 16800 "Tropical Beater"

Waffel2012

You're Saying I Can Sell?
17/8/20
Hello Community,
Today I want to present you my first replica built. Due to some lucky coincidences I got my hands on the base watch for 20 EUR. I thought since this was a 16800, why not build my birthyear watch? I researched that the modern, glossy dial was introduced in late '83 - which was a perfect match!

The case and crystal had lived a rough life and espercially the latter was pretty scratched. But I though that it gave the watch some character and decided to keep it this way.
First, I reshaped the crownguards and glued in the crystal (UV active glue & GS cement) to improve water resistance and replaced tube and crown with a new set from Raffles Dials.

To create a tropical vibe on the dial, I painted the lume with a colour gradient from orange to beige and baked it to turn the lettering grey. Subsequently, I then ever so slightly sprayed it with matte clear coat introducing an aging effect to the glossy surface. The hands' lume was simply painted orange. I put everything back on the DG2813 and reassembled the watch with new gaskets. The bezel inset was aged with Clorix. The (I think) period correct bracelet that came with the watch was added and 'voilà' born was my daily beater.
I love the result mostly because it is not flashy at all and can be worn with every outfit (except black tie - duh).

I hope you like my attempt and if you have any suggestions for improvement - please let me know!

-Rob-

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Nice first try, congratulations.
I like the gradient indices, it's a cool effect :)

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Nice, crusty “I’ve had a hard working life” Sub. The level of discolouration to the lume is quite possibly a little heavy (for a watch of this age), but it’s cool nonetheless. Ultimately, it’s entirely up to you how you want the watch to look!

Reactions: Rx4Time and pimsis

Waffel2012

17/8/20
Thanks everyone for the positive feedback. p0pperini is of course right: Discolouration is a bit intense but I try to convince myself that the previous (fictive ;-)) owner had it stored on top of an uncovered table right in the middle of a tropical beach - since 1983 :-D

Cheery everyone!

Last edited:
Reactions: p0pperini

Waffel2012

17/8/20
A litte update: Based on your comments I reconsidered the level of discolouration and took out some orange. For I also thought that the matt clear coat was a bit much, I wiped it off, too. I think it runs in the watch's favour and adds more accuracy.

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: great stuff buddy! Toning the effect down has really improved it - IMHO.

Reactions: Waffel2012

bc1221

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/4/14
You should pick up one of these weathering kits for models or whatever. Recently got one and have been playing with it on some crap dials I had. They do look pretty good if applied right. I’ve just been playing around with it and it gives it a nice rusted look.

This one was fairly extreme because I was playing with different colors and effects (metallic and rusted metallic and matte rusted).

79721e8ede3e1949edd01579a9b51400.jpg

I’ll prob use it on one of my 16800 builds and see how it turns out.

A few users here has this done and they do look pretty crazy (in a good way).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Waffel2012

17/8/20
WoW, bc1221 That is quite extreme :-D (But I might have a project in mind for something like this. For the 16800, I installed a new sapphire to push it back to "less beaten to death":

bc1221

30/4/14
WoW, bc1221 That is quite extreme :-D (But I might have a project in mind for something like this. For the 16800, I installed a new sapphire to push it back to "less beaten to death":

Haha no. That was just a test dial. I’ve never used the weathering kit before so I just tested it on some crap dials I had laying around.

bc1221

30/4/14
The reference 16800 is so underrated. I really love this tropical build. I think you were ultimately right about changing the crystal. Looks wonderful. Gratz on your build !

The best sub imo. You get the vintage look without the vintage plastic crystal.

Idk. That’s always been the sub I wanted.

Thecloudhopper

21/3/16
Hello Community,
Today I want to present you my first replica built. Due to some lucky coincidences I got my hands on the base watch for 20 EUR. I thought since this was a 16800, why not build my birthyear watch? I researched that the modern, glossy dial was introduced in late '83 - which was a perfect match!

The case and crystal had lived a rough life and espercially the latter was pretty scratched. But I though that it gave the watch some character and decided to keep it this way.
First, I reshaped the crownguards and glued in the crystal (UV active glue & GS cement) to improve water resistance and replaced tube and crown with a new set from Raffles Dials.

To create a tropical vibe on the dial, I painted the lume with a colour gradient from orange to beige and baked it to turn the lettering grey. Subsequently, I then ever so slightly sprayed it with matte clear coat introducing an aging effect to the glossy surface. The hands' lume was simply painted orange. I put everything back on the DG2813 and reassembled the watch with new gaskets. The bezel inset was aged with Clorix. The (I think) period correct bracelet that came with the watch was added and 'voilà' born was my daily beater.
I love the result mostly because it is not flashy at all and can be worn with every outfit (except black tie - duh).

I hope you like my attempt and if you have any suggestions for improvement - please let me know!

-Rob-

what factory is the base watch?