• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Tudor 7995 - ranger - New Project

ken123

Known Member
8/9/19
First , here is my target, tudor ranger 7995 , 34mm , is selling at usd 5600 in my city, its quit expensive for me,

Then , I found this ( tudor 7995, which is selling at just 720 usd)
An ideal came up in my mind, Could it be possible just replace below dial and matching hands to become my target? is that simply?

Reactions: gunonemax

jelliottz

11/7/13
It is nearly that simple.

1) Avoid a red ranger dial. No one can prove they were ever produced. White is the way to go.
2) I have yet to see anyone properly capture the minute hand with it's wider hand and longer tip. There's some decent hour and second hands, but the hour is always tricky.
3) no date is easier than date. Most mess up "OYSTER PRINCEDATE" by putting a space between Prince and Date. Several other tells too that go wrong, but that's one of the really common ones.

Good luck. Ranger is a Grail for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: pompompurin

ken123

Known Member
8/9/19
It is nearly that simple.

1) Avoid a red ranger dial. No one can prove they were ever produced. White is the way to go.
2) I have yet to see anyone properly capture the minute hand with it's wider hand and longer tip. There's some decent hour and second hands, but the hour is always tricky.
3) no date is easier than date. Most mess up "OYSTER PRINCEDATE" by putting a space between Prince and Date. Several other tells too that go wrong, but that's one of the really common ones.

Good luck. Ranger is a Grail for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thank you for answering me

yes , i knew the red ranger is off.
i will try to urge mq to print in white

do u think the mq dial is qualify excepted the red ranger?

or do u have any recommended producers for the dial and hands?

est4129

Supporter
15/9/18
I am basically doing the same thing but piecing together the case, I have a midcase and bezel but no back. Since Tudor backs are rare I have been looking for a compatible Rolex back but haven't found one yet. The price of the watch you found is also very good.

I went with a no-date Yuki dial which has the correct text spacing.

The best hands are a Raffles Dials, many others do not have the correct lum length on the hour hand.

The minute hand comes in both the tapered "sword" version and the regular, I am not sure when and on what models each version was used but here is a 7995 with a regular minute hand.

https://monochrome-watches.com/tudor-heritage-old-new-tudor-ranger-face-face/

And here is a later 90220 with a regular hand.

https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/fs-rare-vintage-tudor-ranger-no-date-ref-90220.4005922/

ken123

Known Member
8/9/19
I am basically doing the same thing but piecing together the case, I have a midcase and bezel but no back. Since Tudor backs are rare I have been looking for a compatible Rolex back but haven't found one yet. The price of the watch you found is also very good.

I went with a no-date Yuki dial which has the correct text spacing.

The best hands are a Raffles Dials, many others do not have the correct lum length on the hour hand.

The minute hand comes in both the tapered "sword" version and the regular, I am not sure when and on what models each version was used but here is a 7995 with a regular minute hand.

https://monochrome-watches.com/tudor-heritage-old-new-tudor-ranger-face-face/

And here is a later 90220 with a regular hand.

https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/fs-rare-vintage-tudor-ranger-no-date-ref-90220.4005922/

is yours finished?

Could you post some photos here.

I also looked for the yuki dial but theirs are all with 2824 feet which should not fit for my 2483

est4129

Supporter
15/9/18
Mine is unfortunately a bunch if parts in a box. I am still looking for the caseback. Also the correct site for the hands is rafflestime, not dials.

You can use sticky dots to mount the dial if you get one for a 2824.

ken123

Known Member
8/9/19
Mine is unfortunately a bunch if parts in a box. I am still looking for the caseback. Also the correct site for the hands is rafflestime, not dials.

You can use sticky dots to mount the dial if you get one for a 2824.

thank you.

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
I had recently built a full rep 7995 for a member.

I sourced the dial from Yuki
Case is Raffles
hands - raffles
eta movement
domed crystal - yuki
bracelet raffles ( sure would like to find a source or good 19mm bracelets) wso has a good one but blank clasp Yuki and Silix used to carry them but I think I got one of the last once from silix a few years ago.

I aged the dial and hands with a dilute airbrush paint for a toasted almond tone.

Raffles claims that the solid tudor casebacks work with 2824 movements providing full perpetual function but in the half a dozen builds I have done using these cases I have not been able to make it work out of the box. I had to do alot of grinding and shaping to the inside of the caseback and the rotor in order to get enough clearance for the rotor to function. this took alot of time and it aint pretty but but it works now.

The ID of the bezel also needed to be enlarged to fit the domed crystal as well.... There were hours of work into this build with grinding test fitting and repeat...

Overall I am pleased with the results , as is he.

e71a6bb1213c2f2001797a2ba582d14a.jpg

68385564aeb2c0bf5bca30e099d18a8f.jpg

5544038a315d324817a6300a67285b88.jpg

592eb368f524ad8bb1dbfedc3b416531.jpg

161387c7353658091ddde56015bfe318.jpg

fed94f19dd309f49e626de9a7e762bd8.jpg

As mentioned previously Get a dial without the red text the MQ dial isn't perfect...No rep or refinished dials are but its close.

Good luck with your build..look fwd to seeing it complete.

joedevivre

Horology Curious
1/12/20
Hi guys,
Jumping in late.

Ken - Did you find a suitable dial in the end? I have a similar plan to you, but am thinking of using the newer 74000 case with the ETA 2484 movement.

The yuki one would have been perfect no longer seems to be for sale, and i'm really struggling to find a replica ranger dial to fit ETA.

Does anyone know any other possible suppliers??

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
Hi guys,
Jumping in late.

Ken - Did you find a suitable dial in the end? I have a similar plan to you, but am thinking of using the newer 74000 case with the ETA 2484 movement.

The yuki one would have been perfect no longer seems to be for sale, and i'm really struggling to find a replica ranger dial to fit ETA.

Yuki is back online I would contact them to see if they have stock.

I would use a raffles case for your build . I recently contacted a seller that had a tudor case set for sale and asked for the dial diameter at the rehaut and he told me his measured at 27mm that is the size of the dial itself. where as the raffles case is 26.4 which prevents the dial from falling through. perhaps someone who has built a ranger with a gen case can shed light on this.?
jmb I think i recall he built one with a gen case...wondering if he recalls any issues.?

ken123 have you taken any measurements of your case set? wondering if a 27mm dial will fit in a gen case?

est4129

Supporter
15/9/18
I have not been able to find a caseback for my gen case so I used a raffles case. I will switch it over when I can find a caseback.

Instead of enlarging the inside diameter of the Raffles bezel I bought a gen used Rolex 1500 bezel off of ebay. It fit the acrylic xtal and the case perfectly, no work needed, just pressed it on.

Last edited:
Reactions: esom and 369mafia

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
Hi guys,
Jumping in late.

I would use a raffles case for your build . I recently contacted a seller that had a tudor case set for sale and asked for the dial diameter at the rehaut and he told me his measured at 27mm that is the size of the dial itself. where as the raffles case is 26.4 which prevents the dial from falling through. perhaps someone who has built a ranger with a gen case can shed light on this.?
jmb I think i recall he built one with a gen case...wondering if he recalls any issues.?

ken123 have you taken any measurements of your case set? wondering if a 27mm dial will fit in a gen case?

ken123

Known Member
8/9/19

i believe only 26 mm dial fits for gen case , i would buy mq dlal

jmb

I'm Pretty Popular
16/8/09
I don't recall ever using a gen case. The ones I have built I used a rep Prince Date case with some mods...

Reactions: 369mafia

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada

The 26mm dial will fall through the dial opening as the gen case has a 27mm opening. I would double check the dial opening on your case set before ordering.

Reactions: pompompurin

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
That's beautiful man, I was really surprised when i saw the dial was from yuki. I did not expect this level of quality, may need one of these soon :hehehe:

Thank you. The aging on the dial and hands and the domed crystal really make this a sweet daily. I wish that there were available options for 19mm bracelets folded , riveted or even solid oyster would be great.. I think I got the last one from silix on a 15000 that I got from them a few years back

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada

This is an example of what I am talking about. The proportions are off

It appears that a rep dial may fit the case however there is a gap between the rehaut and the minute markers. That gap should not exist

I

joedevivre

Horology Curious
1/12/20
This is an example of what I am talking about. The proportions are off

It appears that a rep dial may fit the case however there is a gap between the rehaut and the minute markers. That gap should not exist

I

Hi,

Thanks for all your helpful replies on this. Sorry for the delay - I hadn't checked back here in a while.

So just to check I'm understanding correctly, the Yuki dial is 27mm which is the same size as the inner diameter of the rehaut and will therefore be too small... but the mq dial is even smaller and therefore also not suitable.

So are there are no aftermarket options that would fit a gen case?

Thanks all,

Joe

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
Hi,

Thanks for all your helpful replies on this. Sorry for the delay - I hadn't checked back here in a while.

So just to check I'm understanding correctly, the Yuki dial is 27mm which is the same size as the inner diameter of the rehaut and will therefore be too small... but the mq dial is even smaller and therefore also not suitable.

So are there are no aftermarket options that would fit a gen case?

Thanks all,

Joe

It appears that the dials do fit the gen cases...however the dials are printed to fit a smaller diameter rehault this is very apparent with the number of redials offered on ebay as of late. the dial fits the case but the proportions on the print are off to fit the gen case.

I do not have a gen case and was only told by a seller of a gen case that the diameter is 27mm of the dial opening on the case. I know of only 3 places that offer a dial
MQ
Yuki
Raffles.

I only have hands on experience with the raffles case and yuki dial it would be perfect if the rehault - dial opening was .5mm smaller to fit the raffles 34mm case.

Reactions: RolETA2824