• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

1680 TROPICAL DIAL - PRE SERIES MK0 - one of a kind ;-)

dharma

F.a.i.g.a. addicted
13/11/14
The Hive
Hi guys, i want to share with u my new baby.....
The base is a 1680 JKF with DG2813, deeply reworked by a friend, with a particular, slightly aged Ruby's Tropical dial i really love.......should be a Pre series MK0 variated to brown....
I discovered that pre series dial had a pigment wich very, very, very hardly varied in brown (pratically never ...) so mine is a super rare one ;-)

The effect on the wrist is superb, really amazing.......enjoy some pics, guys, and let me know your opinion, remembering it is not a high end Vintage rep (Trip Dog style) but an about 650,00 euro entry level one ;-)

Here a link to the gen one:
https://www.mazzariolstefanolibrary...riner-ref-1680-red-writing-english-blog-demo/

buluth

You're Saying I Can Sell?
19/6/15
Damn that watch looks amazing and that dial is simply gorgeous.

PAM1101

Renowned Member
3/11/12
Nice — first pre series in a very good colour combi — rare to see....good pic‘s :thumbup:

deadpan

1/6/19
Over the horizon
Congratulations-The 1680 is such a lovely watch all around. I haven’t seen this dial before. If it were mine that Lume job would really bug me (seems to be smeared around the 10 marker and some others). I’m a big fan of chipped and puffy Lume, but the Lume doesn’t look the best-maybe it’s the angle, and if not it may just be my personal tastes. Love your choice of strap-really sets the dial off.

Last edited:

dharma

F.a.i.g.a. addicted
13/11/14
The Hive
Congratulations-The 1680 is such a lovely watch all around. I haven’t seen this dial before. If it were mine that Lume job would really bug me (seems to be smeared around the 10 marker and some others). I’m a big fan of chipped and puffy Lume, but the Lume doesn’t look the best-maybe it’s the angle, and if not it may just be my personal tastes. Love your choice of strap-really sets the dial off.

I agree with u mate......for my taste lume is a little bit exaggerated, but I find some gen very similar to mine

deadpan

1/6/19
Over the horizon
I agree with u mate......for my taste lume is a little bit exaggerated, but I find some gen very similar to mine

Agree-there probably are examples out there of this kind of Lume job. Outside of use on this forum, it probably doesn’t even get noticed, and luckily could always be redone. Congrats on a great piece, and thanks for the reference website-full of info ;-)

Malaka

Known Member
5/9/19
Germany
Dial is awesome but the lume job is not really good, I am sorry. Lume color is good but you can still see the white "original" lume below... Nah, sorry. That needs to be reworked.

deadpan

1/6/19
Over the horizon
Dial is awesome but the lume job is not really good, I am sorry. Lume color is good but you can still see the white "original" lume below... Nah, sorry. That needs to be reworked.

I don’t think that’s original Lume. I have seen many dials with the dial markers/printing (in white or gilt) peeking out around the edges, which is what I think you’re referencing? The Lume texture isn’t to my taste, but each to their own.

deadpan

1/6/19
Over the horizon
Here’s some examples of Lume having flaked way from the markers/ plots (which are white below). Unless that is old Lume below (I always assumed it was part of the printing process as ‘guides’ for the Lume). Maybe a more knowledgeable member can chime in?
gLgeJ.jpg
gLV0o.jpg

in the 7021 you can see it around all markers. In the 1680 you can see it at the top of the 12 & 6 markers, and slightly on the 5 marker.

Last edited:

Malaka

Known Member
5/9/19
Germany
Interesting. To me, dharma's lume looks way to rough and DIY than the one in your pictures. Maybe the texture is more the problem, yes.

tribal

Renowned Member
27/3/06
Germany
u need a gen Tropic 127, the magnification is horrible.

Gesendet von meinem Mi MIX 2S mit Tapatalk

dharma

F.a.i.g.a. addicted
13/11/14
The Hive
I would prefer a plexi with no mag.....but now the watch is on sale, the buyer will think about it....;/)

deadpan

1/6/19
Over the horizon
I would prefer a plexi with no mag.....but now the watch is on sale, the buyer will think about it....;/)

You can grind that mag window flat with increasing grits and then polywatch to make it clear again. Seen it in the forum somewhere. It was a lovely dial regardless of Lume.

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12

Lol.

Who the hell are you ?

The white 'original' lume as you so quaintly call it is paint - all the indices on a matte dial have a white background - the white is paint, not lume.

Show us some pics of your watches - I'm sure they're all 1:1 gen spec - and waterproof to boot.

Reactions: Tione12 and deadpan

Malaka

Known Member
5/9/19
Germany
Oh, so friendly...
​​​​Let me be more precise. I have never seen lume flooding over the marker like here on 9. That looks very rough, IMHO. But I am happy to see gen ref pics. I am always keen on learning something new. Funny, that people get so fast pissed off...
And yes, I wrote lume because I do not know if the base rep dial had only paint or lume and if it was badly relumed or intentionally.