• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rolex 6542 new custom bezel rim

santre22

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/12
Hi all vintage Rolex lovers!

I bought the 268$ cheap version of the 6542 from Intime a while back and the “coin edge” if the bezel is terrible. So I decided to make a new one.

I was using 316L stainless steel and a lathe with milling attachment and a dividing-plate to mill the slots (76) which give an angle of about 4,73 degrees between each slot and that’s a number I calculated from pictures of the gen I’ve looked at on Chrono24 and more.

The setup was simple turn the inner dimensions, exact copy of the rep bezel to fit the case.

Then turn the geometry of the outside by hand (manual lathe) to desired design.

Make a custom holder for the bezel to hold it for milling if the “coin edge”

Then just milling the 76 slots and deburr any sharp edges and finally give it a polish.

It’s my first attempt so there is still room for improvements but I’m still happy with the results.

On to the pictures:

rep bezel

custom bezel

setup in lathe with milling-attachment

philwongnz

I'm Pretty Popular
27/1/14
Nice work! I wonder anyone can mill these pushers? Is Millerighe, similar to MK1 pushers. The tip is flat (just like the 6528 bezel), the bottom groove is actually aligned to the main pushers.
bca04b4ffb5e267fec422d3c8a7e3882.jpg

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

deadpan

1/6/19
Over the horizon
Excellent work! I have a Silix 6538 (think they’re actually stamped 6541), and the bezel is the thing that bugs me most about it. Have been wondering how easy it would be for a machinist to make a new brass one.

Reactions: Bubbe Back1

santre22

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/12
I actually have a brass rod that’s ø50mm and maybe 100 mm long that I can use to make one. I was actually thinking of using brass first as it’s easier on the tools. But I don’t have any nickel-plating equipment so I did it in 316L Stainless Steel instead.

It will be a project for tomorrow as I don’t have the energy for another 4-5 hours in the workshop.

Earlier for another project I made this brass bezel so it will be something like that.
only I will try to get the profile and high right for the 6542.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Really beautiful work bro. Those skills are so useful in this hobby!

santre22

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/12
I spent another evening/night in the workshop and made a brass version of the bezel. I think I got the angles and teeth of the coin edge better this time. But a CNC machine would definitely save a lot of time. To get the 0,01 mm tolerances I want on a manual machine is very time consuming.

now I need a custom insert that’s 37,6 mm with some patina look and I maybe give it to someone to nickel plate and then give it a gentle brush so the brass show on some surfaces. Polished it looks little like gold so I may go for a light brushed look. What does you guys think?

Then for the rest of the build I will relume the dial/hands with vintage puffy lume as the cheap 6542 only have printed flat lume. I would like to change the clasp also to the correct version for this model.

Any one have another idea of a upgrade for the watch? (Without spending a fortune)

and of course the pictures:

Hor-Fan

When the going gets weird
Supporter
Certified
14/1/17
Bat Country
Looks awesome! I think a used gen crown would be a worthwhile upgrade, if you shop around you should be able to find one for not a whole lot of money.

deadpan

1/6/19
Over the horizon
Yes-looks fantastic! If you want to tone down the brass (without plating) use some ‘liver of sulphur’ liquid. Will go almost black if you want it to.

Mbari

7/1/13
Subscribed! Great work.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

MrHEPennypacker

You're Saying I Can Sell?
20/5/20
now I need a custom insert that’s 37,6 mm with some patina look and I maybe give it to someone to nickel plate and then give it a gentle brush so the brass show on some surfaces. Polished it looks little like gold so I may go for a light brushed look. What does you guys think?

Then for the rest of the build I will relume the dial/hands with vintage puffy lume as the cheap 6542 only have printed flat lume. I would like to change the clasp also to the correct version for this model.

Any one have another idea of a upgrade for the watch? (Without spending a fortune)

By the way, I’m very interested to see what you end up finding insert-wise. It seems that there were some makers doing them in the $100-$200 range a couple years ago, but now I’m hard-pressed to find one for even double that.

oldtools

Renowned Member
14/6/11
Athaya is planning on making some no hash silver triangle Thin Font insert and no hash red triangle Thick Font Insert for 6204, 6205, 6536, 6538, etc. I don't know when he will have these ready for sale. At least it is something to look forward to. He is also planning on making a 24-600 Dash crown and a 24-600 Brevet crown. Here is a link to his website: http://www.athayavintage.com/

Reactions: MrHEPennypacker

santre22

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/12

I did some tests with inverted engraving on plexiglass to check if it’s possible to make a insert. I used standard 1 and 8 for the engraving template so I will make new templates with correct fonts, basically an inverted print in HD of a genuine bezel. Also I will use other color for the background as I only had a red permanent marker and chalk in the workshop.

Reactions: deadpan and Hor-Fan

santre22

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/12

I tested the new templates but there is still room for improvements. As it’s handmade it will for sure have a very vintage look as it’s very hard to engrave like a CNC machine by hand. I filled the engravings with chalk and it will look better with yellow/brown lume instead.

Reactions: Bubbe Back1