• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Cartel 5517 Issues

SenorCoveyy

You're Saying I Can Sell?
18/3/20
So I have a cartel 5517 a-2836 that just outta no where is having major issues. I pull out the stem to set the time and nothing at all happens. The area between the crowns is like a hotdog down a hallway in high school. So I leave it alone and today I go to see what’s up with it and now I can set the time and still the whole movement moves inside of the case. Obviously there is a major issue going on and being a noob I want to fix it myself. I appreciate it

Mr Seamaster

Renowned Member
27/4/12
Got a caseback opener?

Thats step one.

I believe one of the movement screws is loose which causes a movement that’ll move free in the case.

As for the stem/crown/ winding issue. This could be due to the above said.
Otherwise the keyless works might be screwed.

Open it up and shoot a pic.

Reactions: SenorCoveyy

SenorCoveyy

18/3/20
Sorry if the pic is horrible. Do I need demagnetized a screwdriver or does it not matter?

chrome72

7/12/17
Houston TX Baby
looks like you are missing a movement holder, it should be a somewhat thick brass or plastic ring. It fills in the gap between the movement and the case

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
Did the crown tube unscrew from the case ??

deadpan

1/6/19
Over the horizon
Did the crown tube unscrew from the case ??

Well spotted. Yes-agree. At least on the vid it looks that way.

OP if this is the case, you’d need to release the stem from the movement, remove the tube from the crown, and then (carefully) try and re-engage it (taking care not to cross thread it) into the case. Sounds simple, but if it’s stripped the threads it may not be. Someone way more knowledgable than me might chime in here with better guidance.

SenorCoveyy

18/3/20
Well spotted. Yes-agree. At least on the vid it looks that way.

OP if this is the case, you’d need to release the stem from the movement, remove the tube from the crown, and then (carefully) try and re-engage it (taking care not to cross thread it) into the case. Sounds simple, but if it’s stripped the threads it may not be. Someone way more knowledgable than me might chime in here with better guidance.

Would a better crown tube be a good idea or should I just buy a HR case now and save the money

deadpan

1/6/19
Over the horizon
Would a better crown tube be a good idea or should I just buy a HR case now and save the money

Really not knowledgable, but what I do know is that different crowns/ tubes have different threads, and (as I understand most of the time) when you upgrade the crown/ tube, the threads need to be re tapped. Really depends what you want to spend/ where you are in the world/ how handy you are with tools etc. There are plenty of watchsmiths and modders on here that could either fix or upgrade your crown for you.

In in terms of your “should I buy an HR case”, as far as I’ve read, the HR 5517 isn’t overly accurate either. Really depends what you want to spend, and what your desired level of accuracy is I think. But don’t take my word for it, as I’m still scratching around in the dirt here. manodeoro kilowattore tripdog are all (amongst others) super knowledgable on here about vintage Rolex generally, and can tell you far more than me!

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Any modder or watchsmith should be able to fix the tube issue. You can install an athaya crown and tube set if you want to upgrade your watch but I would not do any case swap at this point.

SenorCoveyy

18/3/20
Any modder or watchsmith should be able to fix the tube issue. You can install an athaya crown and tube set if you want to upgrade your watch but I would not do any case swap at this point.
Definitely the plan then...things escalated very quickly

all I was supposed to do is remove the stem and then whammy. Glad I purchased some things recently

Mr Seamaster

Renowned Member
27/4/12
Is the tube that tight that you’re unable to unscrew it from the crown?

If not, unscrew it and screw it down to the case again (just the tube), some glue on the tube helps to keep it in place.

As it seems u have no movement spacer, I have a few left if u should need one.
Just shoot me a pm!

It’s plug and play and the movement should sit tight in the case with the holder.

Cheers

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
Heres what i would do ......

Get some loctite , pit a small amount on the tube threads , screw it back into the case , WITHOUT THE movement .

Let it sit 24-48 hours , then unscrew the crown , see if the tube stays in the case , if it does , you can put it back together .
If the tube comes out again , id replace both the crown and the tube .

Last edited:

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Definitely the plan then...things escalated very quickly

all I was supposed to do is remove the stem and then whammy. Glad I purchased some things recently

I know the feeling... Once you open a watch you just can't resist the urge to take it apart ;)

bc1221

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/4/14
Heres what i would do ......

Get some loctite , pit a small amount on the tube threads , screw it back into the case , WITHOUT THE movement .

Let it sit 24-48 hours , then unscrew the crown , see if the tube stays in the case , if it does , you can put it back together .
If the tube comes out again , id replace both the crown and the tube .

Was about to say the same.
Honestly though, you should just order a atheya crown and tube. It’s $40 bucks and makes it look soo much better. You wouldn’t have to tap it again. They screw directly in to cartel cases.

If you don’t have a tube screw tool, do what Dave said. Threadlock. Let it sit for at least 24hrs. When you unscrew the crown, you’re gonna want to make a quick and hard first turn. If that doesn’t unscrew the crown only, go back to step 1.

If that still doesn’t work, your tube/crown got cross threaded and is most likely stuck. If you actually are able to get the crown out without the tube. I would put a little silicone grease on the thread so that it screws and unscrews a little better.

I would still get a 702 atheya crown and tube.

Definitely makes the watch look a LOT better imo.

You may also want to take the movement tabs out and flip them over. They look very bent towards the face of the watch. Most likely from wiggling it around like that. Flip both tabs over and screw them down about half way and screw them in tight. I say half way at first because if one side is too tight, the other side will be a pain in the ass to get the tab under the lip.

Either way, should be an easy fix. I just wouldn’t mess with it too much right now. The more you mess with it, the more damage you can do.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SenorCoveyy

18/3/20
Is the tube that tight that you’re unable to unscrew it from the crown?

If not, unscrew it and screw it down to the case again (just the tube), some glue on the tube helps to keep it in place.

As it seems u have no movement spacer, I have a few left if u should need one.
Just shoot me a pm!

It’s plug and play and the movement should sit tight in the case with the holder.

Cheers

Hey sorry for such a late reply had a major family issue come up. Anyways yeah i can’t get them separated at all. I do have a spacer
55f4c63daf77116b79934e8348b74b6d.jpg

Being that correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk