• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rolex 5517 Milsub, Rolex 1520 movement, Phong case.

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Clamps should go beneath the lip, not above. I can see a space on the tab near the stem but not on the opposite side. Your movement holder likely needs to be modified to allow proper clamps fitment.

Marshal77

You're Saying I Can Sell?
31/8/21
Clamps should go beneath the lip, not above. I can see a space on the tab near the stem but not on the opposite side. Your movement holder likely needs to be modified to allow proper clamps fitment.
Thanks kilowattore! Clamps are beneath the lip, if they would be above, movement would drop away from the case without crown stem... But I bet the lip you mean is the very first (observed radially from center of the movement towards edge of the case) lip right after adapter ring? (marked with green arrows in pic)

If I remember correctly, I tried this lip (marked with green arrows) first, but the movement sits just slightly above this lip (or at the same level) , and in my opinion this is just vice versa what is expected when thinking how the clamps are shaped (bent upwards, toward the caseback IMHO) OF course I could install clamps "upside down" , like they would dive under the lip?
jpU6tD.jpg

If you mean by "movement holder" the movement adapter ring (?) it is ok (got it from HR), it got just proper spaces for the clamps in their original blue position, but in the photo clamps have rotated for some reason even I first screwed them in. I think one near crown stem had moved in use above the movement adapter ring.

Last edited:

kilowattore

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Yes I mean the adapter ring. And yes clamps must be shorter and be fitted right where you pointed with the green arrows

Marshal77

You're Saying I Can Sell?
31/8/21
Many thanks to Mr Seamaster and kilowattore, now the movement is secured for good and I am very confident its done properly now!

I had to modify movement adapter ring clamp grooves little deeper, because movement was almost at the same level as the case lip and as soon as I install one clamp, it was impossible to fit other clamp under the case lip, there was no lip or space visible at all. I am sure that this movement will no longer move anywhere, possible radial movement is blocked by adapter ring and clamps and possible tangential movement is blocked by clamps laying low in the adapter ring groove.

Last edited:

kilowattore

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Many thanks to Mr Seamaster and kilowattore, now the movement is secured for good and I am very confident its done properly now!

I had to modify movement adapter ring clamp grooves little deeper, because movement was almost at the same level as the case lip and as soon as I install one clamp, it was impossible to fit other clamp under the case lip, there was no lip or space visible at all. I am sure that this movement will no longer move anywhere, possible radial movement is blocked by adapter ring and clamps and possible tangential movement is blocked by clamps laying low in the adapter ring groove.

Well done :)

perfecto71

25/7/19
UK
If I understood correctly, youre saying that its a bad thing that movement retaining screws are not fully screwed in? May I ask why its bad thing? I always thoughts its a good idea to screw those fully down in order to have maximum spring force (From the movement clamps) to keep movement in place inside the case.

ps. Can you refresh those pics, cant see em anymore and would have been cool to see the pics :)

Reactions: KJ2020