• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Gen 6mm crown tube and rep case

HAMMER DOWN

12/5/12
Hey friends, I've got a TS 6542 rep with a gen spec 6mm crown tube. This tube differs from the rep in that it has a countersunk/ angled shoulder rather than a square shoulder.

This means the tube sticks out a bit farther than the stock tube.

On a gen case, will there be a standard 90 or 82deg counterbore drilled into the stem hole to accommodate the shoulder of the tube?

or is there another style of crown tube with a square shoulder that needs to be used?

Here is a pic of what I have now, as you can see it appears that perhaps the tube needs to be screwed farther into the case, but the angled shoulder of the tube prevents this.

IMG-20200623-115650-2.jpg

Thanks

bc1221

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/4/14
From what I’ve seen, pretty much all waterproof Rolexes’ tubes have that angle. There should also be a rubber gasket right below there too but I’m not a 100% sure on that model.

As dog said, countersink they tube hole and you should be good to go but if it is sticking out that much, you may need to use a actual tube tool because screwing that in with the crown is not gonna be easy and you may end up getting the crown stuck to the tube.

I may have done that a few times. lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: HAMMER DOWN

HAMMER DOWN

12/5/12
Thanks, yeah I was thinking the same thing, I have a tube tool on the way as I have also had the tube stuck in the crown, and I'd like to avoid that again lol. I was going to use a larger drill bit as a counterbore, I think a standard drill bit has an 82° angle IIRC, and it looks kinda like the same angle the tube has. If I use a new bit that is sharp as hell, I'm thinking I can get big enough bite on it by hand, it doesn't seem like I have to do too much, as long as the stainless doesn't work harden on me. I have a 3mm x.35 tap that I can chase and clean up the thread so I can get the tube back in relatively easy (with purple loctite)