• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Problem with a vintage Rolex 15210 build

simonm

Known Member
15/2/15
EU
Hello i am currently building a vintage Rolex 15210. When I install the VR3135 movement inside the case it seems to fit nicely, it lines up perfectly with the crown tube etc. But when i mount the caseback, the rotor is slightly hittigt the caseback, which leaves a very unpleasent sound.

I havent got the caseback gasket yet, would this solve the problem? i mean the gasket should extend the distance between the rotor and caseback by a few mm?

I hope someone knows how to fix this.

Thanks in advance and have a lovely day!

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
I havent got the caseback gasket yet, would this solve the problem? i mean the gasket should extend the distance between the rotor and caseback by a few mm?
In order for that to happen, wouldn't there have to be a gap left between the caseback and the case when the gasket is fitted? I don't have an Oyster Perpetual, but all the other Rolex I have screw down the same amount, with or without the gasket. The gasket is compressed into its groove, allowing the caseback to screw completely flush to the case. This would lead me to assume the gasket won't fix your problem.

simonm

Known Member
15/2/15
EU
Ah okay that makes sense.

Then i dont know how to fix the problem, it seems wierd tbh. since the case is made for a 3135 movement.

riderocket

18/9/18
Hello i am currently building a vintage Rolex 15210. When I install the VR3135 movement inside the case it seems to fit nicely, it lines up perfectly with the crown tube etc. But when i mount the caseback, the rotor is slightly hittigt the caseback, which leaves a very unpleasent sound.

FYI, I have the same problem.

I serviced my VR3135 and noticed there's an uncomfortable amount of slop/play in the rotor axle bearing. Gen 3135s produce the same symptoms when the rotor axle starts to get worn out.
I'm wondering if all VR3135 are the same, or the 34mm Oyster cases have tighter tolerances than their 36mm cousins? All the gen case DateJust folks don't report this issue.

Reactions: KSwatches

simonm

Known Member
15/2/15
EU
FYI, I have the same problem.

I serviced my VR3135 and noticed there's an uncomfortable amount of slop/play in the rotor axle bearing. Gen 3135s produce the same symptoms when the rotor axle starts to get worn out.
I'm wondering if all VR3135 are the same, or the 34mm Oyster cases have tighter tolerances than their 36mm cousins? All the gen case DateJust folks don't report this issue.
Thank you for your input. I'm sad that you have the same problem, but it could be a general problem with the vr3135.

Do you think a all gen automatic module would solve the problem?

Sendt fra min SM-G986B med Tapatalk

Docrolex

Known Member
28/12/19
Germany
I have the same problem with a gen 16xxx case and a vr3135. I cannot screw the caseback tight in. I want to try inserting a second gasket. Other solution were to thin the casebac from the inside with a lathe. Im not in a hurry because it works with the caseback screwed right enough to fit, but not to its end position.

Reactions: riderocket

simonm

Known Member
15/2/15
EU
I have the same problem with a gen 16xxx case and a vr3135. I cannot screw the caseback tight in. I want to try inserting a second gasket. Other solution were to thin the casebac from the inside with a lathe. Im not in a hurry because it works with the caseback screwed right enough to fit, but not to its end position.
Please let us know if you find a solution with either a lathe or a gasket!

riderocket

18/9/18

Thanks for reporting in, good to know we're not alone.
On the lathe part: for sure I won't machine my gen caseback ;)
I'd rather let it happen naturally

Last edited:

Docrolex

Known Member
28/12/19
Germany
Good idea. Will try when enough time. Will use indicator spray to mark where it touches the caseback and then reduce the rotor at this spot.

Docrolex

Known Member
28/12/19
Germany
Ok, couldnt wait and went for the watch and did the procedure. As you can see, it is not the outer edge which tauches the caseback. Interesting: i tried a 1500 four digit caseback and it worked fine. But it is part of a complete but movement watch, i didnt want to sacrifice it. As i had a new spare gasket, i simply used two gaskets on the caseback and everything is fine. For me it is good now, i will wear the watch like it is. I am glad that i could save this beauty with a rep movement, as gen. Movements have become crazy expensive.
38905375so.jpeg

38905376gr.png

38905377zj.png

riderocket

18/9/18
Ok, couldnt wait and went for the watch and did the procedure. As you can see, it is not the outer edge which tauches the caseback.

Perhaps we have slightly different issues then. For my 34mm case it rubs at the outer edge of the caseback. Not as seriously as yours though, it's only ever so slightly, and only dial up position.

simonm

Known Member
15/2/15
EU
Perhaps we have slightly different issues then. For my 34mm case it rubs at the outer edge of the caseback. Not as seriously as yours though, it's only ever so slightly, and only dial up position.
I have this exact problem. Which is why I think we might be able to solve it only by adding a slightly thicker gasket. I just can't seem to find one that fits

riderocket

18/9/18
I have this exact problem. Which is why I think we might be able to solve it only by adding a slightly thicker gasket. I just can't seem to find one that fits

Do you also sourced your VR3135 from the same guy in Singapore?
I'll try a different batch and see how it turns out. Although it will take time to get a new VR.

It's just my opinion but I don't see the gasket swap as a good enough solution for this. Over time it will compress and caseback needs to be tightened then the issue returns.

simonm

Known Member
15/2/15
EU
Do you also sourced your VR3135 from the same guy in Singapore?
I'll try a different batch and see how it turns out. Although it will take time to get a new VR.

It's just my opinion but I don't see the gasket swap as a good enough solution for this. Over time it will compress and caseback needs to be tightened then the issue returns.
Yes I did.

Let me know if a new movement solves the problem

I'm also considering a gen automatic module and rotor.

You are right regarding the gasket solution, it was only ment as a cheap solution haha

riderocket

18/9/18
Yes I did.

You are right regarding the gasket solution, it was only ment as a cheap solution haha

Not just that but sourcing a slightly thicker than gen spec gasket can be inconvenient.
I'll let you know how does it go with the new VR3135. Still cheaper than buying the gen autowind module. TBH I'm afraid I'll end up doing that anyways.

Let's hope it's not the train bridge, mainplate, etc. too thick :D