• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Problem with a vintage Rolex 15210 build

simonm

Known Member
15/2/15
EU
Not just that but sourcing a slightly thicker than gen spec gasket can be inconvenient.
I'll let you know how does it go with the new VR3135. Still cheaper than buying the gen autowind module. TBH I'm afraid I'll end up doing that anyways.

Let's hope it's not the train bridge, mainplate, etc. too thick :D
Haha Yeah let's hope that, then it's going to be expensive.

I get the feeling that you do a lot of the modding yourself. Is it a hard procedure to change the automatic module?

Sendt fra min SM-G986B med Tapatalk

riderocket

18/9/18
I get the feeling that you do a lot of the modding yourself. Is it a hard procedure to change the automatic module?

That's right, I'm quite deep in :(

Changing the auto assembly shouldn't cause a trouble. 2 screws and aligning one pinion to it's jewel hole. If you put together your watch, this should be in your comfort zone.
Still it's a good idea to watch one of the excellent 3135 videos on the tube.

simonm

Known Member
15/2/15
EU
That's right, I'm quite deep in :(

Changing the auto assembly shouldn't cause a trouble. 2 screws and aligning one pinion to it's jewel hole. If you put together your watch, this should be in your comfort zone.
Still it's a good idea to watch one of the excellent 3135 videos on the tube.
Okay, untill now I have done the modding my self, but I have not done any modding to a movement.

But I will check YouTube, thanks mate

riderocket

18/9/18
Okay, untill now I have done the modding my self, but I have not done any modding to a movement.

But I will check YouTube, thanks mate

Good luck and let us know the outcome.
If I get a new VR3135, I'll let you know too.

Docrolex

Known Member
28/12/19
Germany
In my case, I used a VR 3135 and had the problem, so dont put too much hope in that. I have two gaskets now and everything is fine. Would also be possible, to lathe or 3d print a thin circular insert in replacement for the second gasket. But by now, it works fine, and i will focus on my next project.

simonm

Known Member
15/2/15
EU
In my case, I used a VR 3135 and had the problem, so dont put too much hope in that. I have two gaskets now and everything is fine. Would also be possible, to lathe or 3d print a thin circular insert in replacement for the second gasket. But by now, it works fine, and i will focus on my next project.
Do you have a link for the gaskets you used?

Or did you have a 36mm datejust? I don't know if the caseback is bigger in diameter on that one compared to the 34mm cases on the date model

Docrolex

Known Member
28/12/19
Germany
This is the gasket I used, must been in my drawer for more than 10 years.
38920554au.jpeg

But as I stated before, i was able use a gen. 1500 caseback on my gen. 16000 case, so the gasket should be the same. Which seems logical to me, as the 34 mm and 36 mm watches use the same movements.

Last edited:

riderocket

18/9/18
Let me know if a new movement solves the problem

Got my new VR3135. There is definite improvement.
Not perfect, but rubs way less. The rotor on this autowind module is considerably tighter, I did some A-B comparison between the two.

Who knows, perhaps a gen autowind module could solve the issue altogether. I won't spend that kind of money on one.

My 2 cents.

simonm

Known Member
15/2/15
EU
Got my new VR3135. There is definite improvement.
Not perfect, but rubs way less. The rotor on this autowind module is considerably tighter, I did some A-B comparison between the two.

Who knows, perhaps a gen autowind module could solve the issue altogether. I won't spend that kind of money on one.

My 2 cents.
Thank you for getting back to me. Would you mind to pm me the source of the new vr-movement?

riderocket

18/9/18
Thank you for getting back to me. Would you mind to pm me the source of the new vr-movement?

Bought it here M2M. This was the last one unfortunately, but I send you the contact in PM anyway.

simonm

Known Member
15/2/15
EU
Now my build is finished, and I "solved" the problem with a slightly thicker gasket. The rotor does not hit, and the watch is waterproof to 6 bar.

I think this my way to go around the problem for now

Docrolex

Known Member
28/12/19
Germany
Well done, great watch. Btw, does anyone know, if a vr 3135 could be fitted into a 15xx four digit case?

riderocket

18/9/18
Now my build is finished, and I "solved" the problem with a slightly thicker gasket. The rotor does not hit, and the watch is waterproof to 6 bar.

Congratulations mate. Nice build.
Mind sharing the source of the slightly thicker gasket?

Thanks

simonm

Known Member
15/2/15
EU
Well done, great watch. Btw, does anyone know, if a vr 3135 could be fitted into a 15xx four digit case?
It won't, the case is made for the older movements. You would need to go with the ETA movements for that case

simonm

Known Member
15/2/15
EU
Congratulations mate. Nice build.
Mind sharing the source of the slightly thicker gasket?

Thanks
Sadly I sourced it from my local watchsmith, so I don't have a link or anything. But it sounded like it was a generic gasket with the right diameter, that is just a bit thicker than the genuine one

riderocket

18/9/18
Sadly I sourced it from my local watchsmith, so I don't have a link or anything. But it sounded like it was a generic gasket with the right diameter, that is just a bit thicker than the genuine one

No worries, thanks anyway