Problem with a vintage Rolex 15210 build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with a vintage Rolex 15210 build

Hello i am currently building a vintage Rolex 15210. When I install the VR3135 movement inside the case it seems to fit nicely, it lines up perfectly with the crown tube etc. But when i mount the caseback, the rotor is slightly hittigt the caseback, which leaves a very unpleasent sound.

I havent got the caseback gasket yet, would this solve the problem? i mean the gasket should extend the distance between the rotor and caseback by a few mm?

I hope someone knows how to fix this.

Thanks in advance and have a lovely day!

Originally posted by simonm View Post
    I havent got the caseback gasket yet, would this solve the problem? i mean the gasket should extend the distance between the rotor and caseback by a few mm?
    In order for that to happen, wouldn't there have to be a gap left between the caseback and the case when the gasket is fitted? I don't have an Oyster Perpetual, but all the other Rolex I have screw down the same amount, with or without the gasket. The gasket is compressed into its groove, allowing the caseback to screw completely flush to the case. This would lead me to assume the gasket won't fix your problem.

Comment

Ah okay that makes sense.

Then i dont know how to fix the problem, it seems wierd tbh. since the case is made for a 3135 movement.

Comment

Maybe pompompurin could help - he's a master of the Rolex dress watch builds.

Comment

Originally posted by p0pperini View Post
          Maybe pompompurin could help - he's a master of the Rolex dress watch builds.
          You might be right!

pompompurin your input will be much appreciated

Sendt fra min SM-G986B med Tapatalk

Comment

Hello i am currently building a vintage Rolex 15210. When I install the VR3135 movement inside the case it seems to fit nicely, it lines up perfectly with the crown tube etc. But when i mount the caseback, the rotor is slightly hittigt the caseback, which leaves a very unpleasent sound.
            FYI, I have the same problem.

I serviced my VR3135 and noticed there's an uncomfortable amount of slop/play in the rotor axle bearing. Gen 3135s produce the same symptoms when the rotor axle starts to get worn out.
            I'm wondering if all VR3135 are the same, or the 34mm Oyster cases have tighter tolerances than their 36mm cousins? All the gen case DateJust folks don't report this issue.

Comment

Originally posted by riderocket View Post

FYI, I have the same problem.

I serviced my VR3135 and noticed there's an uncomfortable amount of slop/play in the rotor axle bearing. Gen 3135s produce the same symptoms when the rotor axle starts to get worn out.
              I'm wondering if all VR3135 are the same, or the 34mm Oyster cases have tighter tolerances than their 36mm cousins? All the gen case DateJust folks don't report this issue.
              Thank you for your input. I'm sad that you have the same problem, but it could be a general problem with the vr3135.

Do you think a all gen automatic module would solve the problem?

Comment

I have the same problem with a gen 16xxx case and a vr3135. I cannot screw the caseback tight in. I want to try inserting a second gasket. Other solution were to thin the casebac from the inside with a lathe. Im not in a hurry because it works with the caseback screwed right enough to fit, but not to its end position.

Comment

Originally posted by Docrolex View Post
                  I have the same problem with a gen 16xxx case and a vr3135. I cannot screw the caseback tight in. I want to try inserting a second gasket. Other solution were to thin the casebac from the inside with a lathe. Im not in a hurry because it works with the caseback screwed right enough to fit, but not to its end position.
                  Please let us know if you find a solution with either a lathe or a gasket!

Comment

Do you think a all gen automatic module would solve the problem?
                    My thinking exactly. That's an expensive route to try but sooner or later I'll end up on that...

Comment

Originally posted by Docrolex View Post
                      Thanks for reporting in, good to know we're not alone.
                      On the lathe part: for sure I won't machine my gen caseback
                      I'd rather let it happen naturally
                      Last edited by riderocket; 29-06-20, 21:50.

Comment

Originally posted by riderocket View Post

Thanks for reporting in, good to know we're not alone.
                        On the lathe part: for sure I won't machine my gen caseback
                        I'd rather let it happen naturally
                        Would it be possible to mount the rotor on a lathe and skim it slightly?

Comment

Originally posted by deadpan View Post
                          Would it be possible to mount the rotor on a lathe and skim it slightly?

The whole outer edge needs to be worked on. A dremel type tool could work too.
                          Not elegant, but could solve the issue.

Comment

Good idea. Will try when enough time. Will use indicator spray to mark where it touches the caseback and then reduce the rotor at this spot.

Comment

Ok, couldnt wait and went for the watch and did the procedure. As you can see, it is not the outer edge which tauches the caseback. Interesting: i tried a 1500 four digit caseback and it worked fine. But it is part of a complete but movement watch, i didnt want to sacrifice it. As i had a new spare gasket, i simply used two gaskets on the caseback and everything is fine. For me it is good now, i will wear the watch like it is. I am glad that i could save this beauty with a rep movement, as gen. Movements have become crazy expensive.

Comment

Working...
                              X