• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

JK Factory 1680 Red Sub build

Milf-hunter

Looking Around
22/11/19
Hey all,

I just picked up a JKF 1680 Red Sub and decided to do a build. Thought I’d share details and a diary of the build.

Here is the list of mods I’m going to carry out:
  • JKF 1680 Red Sub ​​​​​​Base
  • Genuine (New old stock) Swiss ETA 2846 low beat
  • bleached and aged bezel insert
  • shave crown guards to 1.35mm gen spec
  • drill lug holes to 1.3mm to accommodate 2mm spring bars
  • athaya 702 Crown and Tube
  • 580 end links
  • possibly some aged lume and work to the dial later in time.
Cheers

Guy

Reactions: Wonky Cyclops

Milf-hunter

Looking Around
22/11/19
1st Mod: Bezel Bleach

I decided to do one of the more simpler mods on the list first to add some extra patina to the watch.

I know that bleaching a bezel is very subjective, from a light fade to a full ghosted out finish. I’m going to aim towards a middle of the road finish.

Here is a wrist shot or two of the watch the first day I got it totally standard:

unfortunatey I didn’t take any photos of dismantling the bezel and applying the bleach, but it consisted of popping the bezel off and leaving in a container of bleach in the sunshine for around 5 minutes, gentle agitating it every 30 seconds to release the paint from the insert.

here is the finished result, which I’m happy with:

Milf-hunter

Looking Around
22/11/19
1st Mod: Bezel Bleach

I decided to do one of the more simpler mods on the list first to add some extra patina to the watch.

I know that bleaching a bezel is very subjective, from a light fade to a full ghosted out finish. I’m going to aim towards a middle of the road finish.

Here is a wrist shot or two of the watch the first day I got it totally standard:
XYb52.jpg
[/url]

unfortunatey I didn’t take any photos of dismantling the bezel and applying the bleach, but it consisted of popping the bezel off and leaving in a container of bleach in the sunshine for around 5 minutes, gentle agitating it every 30 seconds to release the paint from the insert.

here is the finished result, which I’m happy

XyANS.jpg
[/url]

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
Supporter
18/1/17
Looks good. 3-5 minutes is about right imo - just enough to take the gloss off it and add a few years.

HAMMER DOWN

12/5/12
I like the effect of the edges being a bit darker than the center. I did the same on my cartel 1680. I had a gen faded that way years ago.