• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

JK 1680 build!! :-)

WeylandYutani

Horology Curious
8/5/20
United States
I've been lurking around this forum for a while now and have learned so much from searching around. I ordered my first rep yesterday night 5/13, and I have already received my qc pics.
I​I think​think they​they are good for a starting point. I will be replacing to Crystal with a Clark's and I wanna do a crown and tube replacement. Oh and maybe a slays insert or a wso insert and assembly. Not sure though. This is gonna be a daily "beater". Eventually I wanna get a lower beat rate eta to replace the a2836 that's in here. Any other ideas, options, and or suggestions would be awesome. Also do you guys think there would nee any modifications to the crown guard or the end lugs? enjoy and have a great day.

Reactions: watchlover128

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
Supporter
18/1/17
Mine is on the way from Sead now. I got the 2836 with silver DW. Open 6 and 9's.

I was going to go with the 2813 movement, but it turns out thats high beat anyway.

I'll rub out all the sharp edges with a Bergeon stick when it arrives, clean and oil the bracelet, swap out the insert and plexi and then do some work on the dial and hands. Afew dozen turns in an ice cream tub of sand, grit and bolts helps as well.

Such a shame its not possible to swap in a better dial...

0514-5.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: WeylandYutani

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
Supporter
18/1/17
The problem is the case on these cartel watches - they only take a 26mm dial, which means shaving .5 from the dial, or milling the case.

WeylandYutani

Horology Curious
8/5/20
United States
Oh hmm, so I've got a newb question, so no matter what factory these come from they are considered cartel cases or is that just a description of this style of case? Sorry, I guess I don't understand what cartel means in reference to this. I've seen lots of threads talk about cartel cases but I guess I'm not understanding.

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

Mattjames84

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
8/5/19
That's a great question.. I'd like to know the same.. I know theres cartel, mbw, mbk, phong, vietnam.. lol.. what tells them apart. I know some things like lug holes to no lug holes eliminate possibilitys

HAMMER DOWN

12/5/12
Very nice, but since you got the eta clone you could do a Yuki dial, iaI think they are a bit more accurate from some of my comparison's. Here's the link https://m.yukiwatch.com/catalog/item/7518423/10278887.htm

​​​​​​They make a direct swap for eta movements. With the feet in the correct spot.

I'll probably soften up the edges a bit too depending.

The dial feet are in the right spot (or almost close enough to really annoy you til you snip them off anyways)

But the deal breaker is the date window is in the ETA position, not the correct position to use a DWO with correct fonts and a gen-spec cyclops Plexi. The fonts on the stock ETA DW suck pretty bad IMHO. Gotta have those open 6's and 9s to be a 1680

Reactions: mir36

WeylandYutani

Horology Curious
8/5/20
United States
The dial feet are in the right spot (or almost close enough to really annoy you til you snip them off anyways)

But the deal breaker is the date window is in the ETA position, not the correct position to use a DWO with correct fonts and a gen-spec cyclops Plexi. The fonts on the stock ETA DW suck pretty bad IMHO. Gotta have those open 6's and 9s to be a 1680
Ahh so even if they are "in the correct spot " it still won't line correctly unless you cut them off and adjust so it works. So your saying having the feet in the right spot doesn't really matter so much.

WeylandYutani

Horology Curious
8/5/20
United States
The problem is the case on these cartel watches - they only take a 26mm dial, which means shaving .5 from the dial, or milling the case.
Yeah but if you break that .5mm over the circumference of the circle it's a miniscule amount. Would you really be able to notice it?

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
Supporter
18/1/17

Choosing the right DW is a must. I didn't know until Sead told me, but there are 3 date wheels for this watch available - white closed 6+9, white open 6+9 and silver open 6+9.

You have to let the TD know when you buy it which one you want.

I'm not a fan of the magnification on the cyclops, even if it is somewhat correct. I'm on the lookout for a nice thick top hat. (not related to my avatar)

Last edited:

WeylandYutani

Horology Curious
8/5/20
United States
Choosing the right DW is a must. I didn't know until Sead told me, but there are 3 date wheels for this watch available - white closed 6+9, white open 6+9 and silver open 6+9.

You have to let the TD know when you buy it which one you want.

I'm not a fan of the magnification on the cyclops, even if it is somewhat correct. I'm on the lookout for a nice thick top hat. (not related to my avatar)
It seems to me and through my research that a Clark's 25-127 is what most people use. Correct me if I'm wrong. Have you tried that one. Here's a link. https://www.ebay.com/itm/233409415880

WeylandYutani

Horology Curious
8/5/20
United States
Yeah when I picked mine I actually wasn't too worried about the date wheel. I was more worried about case shape. But I will have to see when it gets here hahahaha. I guess if it's wrong I'll have to figure out what to do at that point.

HAMMER DOWN

12/5/12
Ahh so even if they are "in the correct spot " it still won't line correctly unless you cut them off and adjust so it works. So your saying having the feet in the right spot doesn't really matter so much.

What I would do is just buy the one meant for the 1575, snip off the feet, dial dot it on, that way the date window will line up with the DWO. Dial dots would be perfectly adequate in my opinion. I wouldn't be doin that with a gen dial tho.

WeylandYutani

Horology Curious
8/5/20
United States
What I would do is just buy the one meant for the 1575, snip off the feet, dial dot it on, that way the date window will line up with the DWO. Dial dots would be perfectly adequate in my opinion. I wouldn't be doin that with a gen dial tho.
I got ya. Yeah that would make sense. Thats not a bad idea. It would work. Very cool.