• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Tudor 7032 build with Valjoux 7734

mnkoshka

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/12/09
Hi guys, I’m starting a Tudor 7032 build and have a brand new Breitling 7734 45min counter movement.

ive been reading mixed reviews on the stem removal position.

some say remove stem in hand setting position and some say in winding position.

has anyone here got any experience with working on the 7734 than can give me some advice I’ve never worked on a Val 7734 before so any pointers will help with my install. Thanks in advance

mnkoshka

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/12/09
Sadly, this is the new one. The subdials are the other way around on the original 7032. Too bad, because decent 7032 dial are next to impossible to find.

I'll be watching this thread carefully, I plan to do this kind of build myself at some point.

It’s so true... I saw a gen dial for 11k online lol. I bought a case and movement now I’m in deep and have to finish this build. I love the Daytona but it’s too small so when I looked at the 7032 / 31 it grew on me straight away.

I just need a Bakelite black bezel in a good price range also

Peter of A.

Horology Curious
4/9/14
Belgium
It’s so true... I saw a gen dial for 11k online lol. I bought a case and movement now I’m in deep and have to finish this build. I love the Daytona but it’s too small so when I looked at the 7032 / 31 it grew on me straight away.

I just need a Bakelite black bezel in a good price range also

Ask this seller, he might have more.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Tu...=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

However, I've no idea about quality. Never ordered there.

The main issue for me with Yuki's dial is the date window at 6, it cuts into the white outer ring... Hope to find a better one at some point.

mnkoshka

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/12/09
Ask this seller, he might have more.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Tu...=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

However, I've no idea about quality. Never ordered there.

The main issue for me with Yuki's dial is the date window at 6, it cuts into the white outer ring... Hope to find a better one at some point.

Thanks mate I’ll check it out. I think most of the Vietnam dials either cut into the white chapter ring or The subdial recess is off. I’ll keep the build up to date here once I receive the parts

mnkoshka

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/12/09
Has anyone got a good source for An aftermarket 7836 bracelet? I know yuki did them a while back but can’t seem to find anything even close

mnkoshka

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/12/09
Dial update: I bought the yuki dial and hands but noticed the subdials don’t have that depressed concave chamfer leading in to the centre which left the dial pretty undesirable.

the solution was to machine up a small male and female die set for the press and try to press the 3D form into the subdials without damaging the paint.

Pretty successful and after filing the backside extrusion of the dial it sits pretty nice and flush. Finished off with a light textured semi gloss airbrushing to give it a nice vintage look. All in all pretty happy, maybe I’ll relume but not sure yet.

Mapearso

Patron
11/9/16
nice work. those recessed subdials look great in the pics.

regarding your question on the bracelet, try marywatch

Reactions: mnkoshka

Pickledbeetroot

I'm Pretty Popular
12/12/12
How will that effect the stem alignment? You’ve effectively put a small spacer in between the dial and the movement, the tolerances on these are pretty slim anyway.

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Dial update: I bought the yuki dial and hands but noticed the subdials don’t have that depressed concave chamfer leading in to the centre which left the dial pretty undesirable.

the solution was to machine up a small male and female die set for the press and try to press the 3D form into the subdials without damaging the paint.

Pretty successful and after filing the backside extrusion of the dial it sits pretty nice and flush. Finished off with a light textured semi gloss airbrushing to give it a nice vintage look. All in all pretty happy, maybe I’ll relume but not sure yet.

Excellent job :thumbup:

mnkoshka

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/12/09
this is correct - these cases have very low tolerance for stem position

Yeah I only depressed the subdials by half the dial thickness then filed the back side flat so the there’s no change in overall tolerance.

I noticed these Vietnam cases also have the gasket groove in the case itself and not the case back like the gen 7031-32. Lug shape is also wrong, looks like they just based the case off a 7149 and engraved it 7032.

I’ll be machining the case today to get more of a 7032 profile... hopefully

mnkoshka

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/12/09
How will that effect the stem alignment? You’ve effectively put a small spacer in between the dial and the movement, the tolerances on these are pretty slim anyway.

Only depressed the subs by half the dial thickness and filed the back flat so there’s no change in tolerance

mnkoshka

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/12/09
Just received the NOS Breitling valjoux 7734 the movement is new never mounted, one problem the person who shipped it forced the movement unprotected into a small box breaking the 4th wheel running seconds pinion... I couldn’t be more frustrated. The whole movement will have to be torn down to replace this.

Is there any watchmakers on here that can do the job? I’m having a bit of trouble trying to find someone trustworthy to work on it. Any help is much appreciated