• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rolex 5513, gloss 'spider' dial.

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
Got to love the Rolex 5513, whether it's a gloss dial or matte, it's one of the great classics in vintage Submariners.

Specs on this one are refinished Vietnam case, Swiss ETA 2842 movement, Rolex 704 crown, Rolex T19 crystal, Rolex 93150 bracelet, and Rolex gloss 'spider' dial with an unusual yellow ochre patina to the lume.

No idea why someone would think 'spider' is an accurate way of describing the cracked surface. This defect only happened on gloss dials, mainly on those produced in the 80's GMTs, 16610s and 5513s were affected by it.

At a guess I would say the black paint has a coat of lacquer on it and somehow there was a disagreement between the black paint and the lacquer, and these cracks appeared over time. It looks like shattered glass and is only visible really at certain angles - as borne out by my pics, where it's not really that visible. . . Lesson to be learned ? check your damn pics whilst you're taking them.

Fortunately I have a pic of the dial before it went into the case.

Spider-dial.jpg

IMG-4136.jpg

IMG-4137.jpg

IMG-4141.jpg

I noticed it's become quite trendy lately to charge a fee for building a watch, then to add on lots of supplementary charges for work that should be included in the build fee - so I thought I'd join in the fun !

Cost breakdown:

Assembly fees: $356.72
Crystal installation: $75
Crystal adjustment: $25
Bezel assembly installation: $55
Bezel assembly adjustment: $18
Gasket greasing: $4. 89
Gasket installation: $42.11
Countersinking case for case tube: $48.43
Tube installation: $21
Tube adjustment: $8
Water proofing (act of) $58
Water resistance test (testing of) $52
Crown adjustment (screwing down before shipping):$14
Crown torque check: $17.33
Bracelet installation: $45
Bracelet adjustment: $19.56
Clasp adjustment: $31.22
Packaging fees: $39

Sales Tax: 24%

Thanks for looking.

Mr Seamaster

Renowned Member
27/4/12
As always, fantastic trip!
Might share what you did to the crowntube/ stem height problem?
Using longer cannon pinions and a spacer to get the movement sitting more away/ lower from the dial?

Cheers

cpd2186

Runway Model
Supporter
5/4/16
Is that your hand holding the dial? I thought you were black!!!!!

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
As always, fantastic trip!
Might share what you did to the crowntube/ stem height problem?
Using longer cannon pinions and a spacer to get the movement sitting more away/ lower from the dial?

Cheers

The 2842 has the correct stem height for a gen' spec' 5513 case, so no issues there.

Is that your hand holding the dial? I thought you were black!!!!!

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

Nope, not mine, not gonna put my fingerprints up on the 'net for everyone to see.

That there is a rental hand.

Replica01

I'm Pretty Popular
27/11/16
Countersinking case for case tube: $48.43? Are you out of your mind?!

Reactions: tripdog

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Lovely dial and build but 14 usd for screwing the crown in is way too cheap... are you hiding something?

Reactions: cpd2186 and tripdog

sfgerl

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
25/10/18
How about the time spent arranging the photo shoot, camera usage and time posting photos (cost per minute)?

Reactions: stufuse and tripdog

DaleM

I'm Pretty Popular
25/8/18
Central Florida
Got to love the Rolex 5513, whether it's a gloss dial or matte, it's one of the great classics in vintage Submariners.

Specs on this one are refinished Vietnam case, Swiss ETA 2842 movement, Rolex 704 crown, Rolex T19 crystal, Rolex 93150 bracelet, and Rolex gloss 'spider' dial with an unusual yellow ochre patina to the lume.

No idea why someone would think 'spider' is an accurate way of describing the cracked surface. This defect only happened on gloss dials, mainly on those produced in the 80's GMTs, 16610s and 5513s were affected by it.

At a guess I would say the black paint has a coat of lacquer on it and somehow there was a disagreement between the black paint and the lacquer, and these cracks appeared over time. It looks like shattered glass and is only visible really at certain angles - as borne out by my pics, where it's not really that visible. . . Lesson to be learned ? check your damn pics whilst you're taking them.

Fortunately I have a pic of the dial before it went into the case.

Spider-dial.jpg

IMG-4136.jpg

IMG-4137.jpg

IMG-4141.jpg

I noticed it's become quite trendy lately to charge a fee for building a watch, then to add on lots of supplementary charges for work that should be included in the build fee - so I thought I'd join in the fun !

Cost breakdown:

Assembly fees: $356.72
Crystal installation: $75
Crystal adjustment: $25
Bezel assembly installation: $55
Bezel assembly adjustment: $18
Gasket greasing: $4. 89
Gasket installation: $42.11
Countersinking case for case tube: $48.43
Tube installation: $21
Tube adjustment: $8
Water proofing (act of) $58
Water resistance test (testing of) $52
Crown adjustment (screwing down before shipping):$14
Crown torque check: $17.33
Bracelet installation: $45
Bracelet adjustment: $19.56
Clasp adjustment: $31.22
Packaging fees: $39

Sales Tax: 24%

Thanks for looking.

Is this sales tax VAT?

Danster

Known Member
11/8/18
So nice! Love that the dial is so subtly crazed...you can just pick it out in some of the pics...I'm assuming at certain angles / lights it looks like the dial pic..?