• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

First Vintage build.

Nozzle3

Horology Curious
18/11/19
Estonia
Hi guys, I am going to be building my first vintage watch and I have a few questions if you don't mind my asking. I was first looking at dials on Yukiwatch and noticed most were made to fit genuine movements. Where would I go about finding a gen movement? Also, this website:http://vintagewatchesmq.com/minhquy/index.php I found has a lot of great vintage dials but I am unsure if they are gen or rep and wanted to know if anyone has any experience with them. Thanks so much for helping me out, and any other tips you may have about a vintage build would be really helpful!

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
This is a hard question to answer. I too have started the vintage build road...have a whole thread on a cheap build 6538. I think you need to settle on which model then do a ton of research. There are a few case options, dial options, crown options, hand options, movement options...you get my point. And the mix and match has it's own set of issues you need to overcome. To minimize costs, try and figure out by research which mix and matching makes the best combo for what you want...and the price points vary... A LOT!

Reactions: Perpetual

Serafino

You're Saying I Can Sell?
4/1/12
The usual procedure is to get mostly or all rep parts and a comparatively less expensive movement (in the watches I am familiar with those are usually ETAs or clones thereof). My guess is that most less expensive rep dials with gen-style feet have their feet lopped off and get attached to the movement in other ways. I would not look for a gen dial at MQ site. For some reps, dealers of those and similar products from that part of the world are sometimes considered the best but you pay top dollar and you should read up stories so you have an idea about alternatives and what to expect, and not expect when dealing with them.

As you move up in price point and accuracy, the situation varies on the rarity of the watch. Gen dials are insanely expensive for some, and fairly affordable for others. Correct original cases range from impossible to find to relatively affordable (although that is dwindling in the Rlx world). Gen movements can be fairly easy to source, or very expensive, and some of the older expensive ones can be expensive to service, sometimes prohibitively so.

So yeah, decide on a watch first. There will be PLENTY to research and understand even after you have narrowed the field considerably. It's taken me 8 years to find the answers to some of my questions!

Last edited:

Redheart

17/5/19
Hi guys, I am going to be building my first vintage watch and I have a few questions if you don't mind my asking. I was first looking at dials on Yukiwatch and noticed most were made to fit genuine movements. Where would I go about finding a gen movement? Also, this website:http://vintagewatchesmq.com/minhquy/index.php I found has a lot of great vintage dials but I am unsure if they are gen or rep and wanted to know if anyone has any experience with them. Thanks so much for helping me out, and any other tips you may have about a vintage build would be really helpful!

The Yuki dials are not the best, but if you like it, cut the feet and use epoxy to attach new feet.

Minh Qyu website clearly separate gen and refinished dials.

Very good advices given by the two previous members!

Reactions: Perpetual

Nozzle3

Horology Curious
18/11/19
Estonia
The Yuki dials are not the best, but if you like it, cut the feet and use epoxy to attach new feet.

Minh Qyu website clearly separate gen and refinished dials.

Very good advices given by the two previous members!

So the refinished dials are replicas? They don't advertise the prices there, in what ballpark would a dial be? Thanks so much for taking your time to reply though.

bc1221

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/4/14
So the refinished dials are replicas? They don't advertise the prices there, in what ballpark would a dial be? Thanks so much for taking your time to reply though.

The refinished dials are borderline reps. They’re printed on genuine beyer or singer plates and have the same dial specs as gen but the print isn’t gen.

MQ or ruby is about the best you can get. The prices for dials vary depending on the model. Expect something around $300-500 mark.

A gen 1570 or 1575 caliber movement is gonna cost you roughly $2k, more or less.

If you’re going with a gen movement, you’re going to need a gen spec case which would be ruby or phong. Ruby is about $600 the last time I talked to her. I think phong costs a lot more. ST has good looking cases but need a lot of work. However, they don’t sell to the public. You have to be a member of some watching making thing. Idk. They didn’t give me too much details except “we can’t sell to you”. There are some members that can help with that but I don’t know who all can and willing.

If this is your first vintage build, I would recommend starting out with basic cartel watches and mod them. You’re going to make some mistakes and you do not want to make mistakes on expensive builds.

I’d say start out with a no date 5513. Those can take gen spec dials bc the cartel cases fit 26mm dials which 5513s are. If you want to build a 1680 and want to use a good dial like MQ or Ruby, they will not fit unless you shave them about .5mm. 1680s will also help you learn how to align datewheel overlays. That can be easy or you can spend days trying to get it right. You may luck out the first time.

You also need all of the correct tools so if you don’t have them, don’t start yet.

I’d recommend starting out with just basic cartel everything. Practice luming. Practice everything. One thing that will drive you crazy is keyless works. The first few builds I did, ended up in the trash bc I screwed the keyless works up bad and had no idea wtf I was doing. Plus, if you reset that enough times using too much pressure, you’re going to need some new parts bc it won’t push back hard enough to set it tight.

So practice practice practice before starting anything expansive. You do not want a $400 project turning in to a $1000+ project because you broke stuff that needed to be replaced or thrown away. Hell, I’ve done a number of builds and recently broke a few things during a build. It’s not just something you just pick up. Definitely not like modding cars. Those parts can be forgiving. Tiny watch parts, not so much. I’m no pro but I have made plenty of mistakes in this hobby. I’ve had plenty of $300 builds turn in to ones that end up costing me a $100 + more.

Even the pros make mistakes and some of them do these daily. Watches are not the most forgiving things to mod. They don’t like it when you try to change stuff and they remember. Lol.

Seriously though, get the correct tools (they can get pricey) and start out with a cheap build. If it goes well, sell it and start a higher end build. Slowly move up the budget until you get the build you wanted when you started the hobby.

I finally got my 16800 and I still have stuff I want to change that I can’t afford or source right now. This is THE watch I wanted when I started out on reps and then found out that they didn’t rep those so the modding practice began. This was about 7 years and many watches ago.

Remember, if you break something or don’t know why something isn’t working right, this forum is a amazing place for info. The pros here REALLY know their stuff. Hell, you can post a picture of any vintage Rolex and member like KJ and yodog can literally tell you which part came from where. Which parts are reps and which parts are gen. The stuff they know is mind blowing to me. I’m a Rolex junkie and I still have tons to learn.

Good luck and wish you the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Redheart

Nozzle3

Horology Curious
18/11/19
Estonia
Good luck and wish you the best.

Thanks so much for the detailed response, that was amazing and very helpful. I don't think I'll do anything super complicated myself, and hopefully will have someone assemble/age dials and lume plots for me as I don't trust myself. And I probably won't start with all this nice stuff first since it seems like altogether it could be 2-3000 for a good build.

Redheart

17/5/19
Thanks so much for the detailed response, that was amazing and very helpful. I don't think I'll do anything super complicated myself, and hopefully will have someone assemble/age dials and lume plots for me as I don't trust myself. And I probably won't start with all this nice stuff first since it seems like altogether it could be 2-3000 for a good build.

You can do a very good build for under 500/1000$ depending on your involment and research. There is no free lunch.
or you can laze 1500 $ to someone to do it for you!

Yes it can be risky and nerve wracking but in the end your build is gonna even more rewarding. I guess it all depends on one's inclinations to those specific kind of handwork. If you like precise stuff, very slow and very precise hand work, then this is for you! Do you like working details out and other stuff for hours straight? :D

Reactions: Nozzle3

bc1221

30/4/14
You can do a very good build for under 500/1000$ depending on your involment and research. There is no free lunch.
or you can laze 1500 $ to someone to do it for you!

Yes it can be risky and nerve wracking but in the end your build is gonna even more rewarding. I guess it all depends on one's inclinations to those specific kind of handwork. If you like precise stuff, very slow and very precise hand work, then this is for you! Do you like working details out and other stuff for hours straight? :D

For me, modding is way more fun than actually wearing the watch. Plus, you get more attachment to the watch because you built it. I have a hard time wearing a watch I just bought and didn’t do anything to except wear it. Those usually end up being sold after a few rotations. When I mod a watch (heavily), I love wearing those bc I built the majority of the watch. That makes me proud to wear the watch. Rep or gen. I have a few gen pieces that I did minor mods to (outside of warranty) and love wearing those.

That’s how I am anyway.

Good luck with whatever you decide to build.

Reactions: Redheart

Nozzle3

Horology Curious
18/11/19
Estonia
For me, modding is way more fun than actually wearing the watch. Plus, you get more attachment to the watch because you built it. I have a hard time wearing a watch I just bought and didn’t do anything to except wear it. Those usually end up being sold after a few rotations. When I mod a watch (heavily), I love wearing those bc I built the majority of the watch. That makes me proud to wear the watch. Rep or gen. I have a few gen pieces that I did minor mods to (outside of warranty) and love wearing those.

That’s how I am anyway.

Good luck with whatever you decide to build.

I think I'll build an albino dial 1016 explorer, but the only dial available is from yukiwatch, which seems to be the not best quality but good for my first time right? I can probably assemble it myself but unsure how to age it. But I definitely agree with your sentiment about building the watch. I would love to do everything to it but I am afraid I'll screw it up somehow. Do you have pictures of any of your projects? It would be cool to see. Thanks again for the help though.

itgoes211

10/4/19
Nozzle3 :
Hi, and welcome to the forum. I’ve made a few albino dials (I love any albino dial) including 1016. No where near Yuki or mq quality, which are about as close to perfection as humans can currently reach - unless you have your own pad printer, laser-etcher, and some really good ink.

I prefer the aged look, so i tend toward the “loved” with a history, “grandpa’s watch”, or even “found on a reef in the tropics”, especially since these models are older and no longer in production. I’m happy to work with you if you’d like to make your own dial. You can save some dough, have some fun, a learn a bunch here . There are also some other good threads here with great info, and some super-knowledgeable and kind members who share experience - both successes and mistakes to learn from. You’ve already got some great input above.

Good luck with your first build! You can definitely do it for under $500 if you put some time into it. I’m excited to follow how it progresses - I’m subscribed. Cheers

Nozzle3

Horology Curious
18/11/19
Estonia
Good luck with your first build! You can definitely do it for under $500 if you put some time into it. I’m excited to follow how it progresses - I’m subscribed. Cheers
I'm excited to progress with it too. Thank you for the warm welcome, these forums seem full of nice people. I hope to start simple and not too costly first with my build but I have so many options I don't know where to start, but If you like I'll definitely continue this thread when the process starts. Do you have any pictures of the projects you built? I like the same worn and aged look as well. Thanks again!

bc1221

30/4/14
I think I'll build an albino dial 1016 explorer, but the only dial available is from yukiwatch, which seems to be the not best quality but good for my first time right? I can probably assemble it myself but unsure how to age it. But I definitely agree with your sentiment about building the watch. I would love to do everything to it but I am afraid I'll screw it up somehow. Do you have pictures of any of your projects? It would be cool to see. Thanks again for the help though.

Yuki has decent explore dials but there are not many options out there. I think whoppy made the best 1016 dials but his dials are long gone. They do sometimes show up in M2M.

Have you tried richview’s dials? They’re not bad but I think they’re better than yuki’s.

https://www.mochacha.org