• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

9411 build low budget

Redheart

17/5/19
Hi there,
I will do a 9411 build that is planned now!
Any ideas are welcome because I never tackled Tudor builds up until now.
My initial parts are a:
- 16613/16808 gen insert
- a 9411 dial from Vietnam/eBay

I need to buy all the rest and would appreciate any hints or tips for the parts.
And my idea is to begin with :
-JKF cartel snowflake watch
-a bezel that fits or a complete bezel?
-i don't need bracelet as it will live on a marine nationale strap or leather strap.

I really don't know if it's a good idea to go with the R factory bezel insert because the font is different, but still it looks lovely with serifs and a deep blue color.
But in the end I am hoping it will look fine because the dial is awesome in my opinion, especially considering the price (80$)

Any idea about the DW? Or any pieces that I forgot in my planning?
Any tips are welcome to improve this build ;)

I didn't have enough courage to go full swiss ETA and gen parts though, so please keep that in mind.

I didn't come across that info yet but have found several 16613 inserts that really look like silver fonts instead of gold fonts. So in my mind it looks like a brilliant idea for a blue Tudor build! Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance guys!

Last edited:

Redheart

17/5/19
Here my dial and a cheap insert I toyed with, it's not the gen Rolex one that will arrive anytime now..
with the flash it looks rather saturated blue in color, but in reality it's pretty dark and slightly muted, that I think look good for a snowflake dial.
ospg4.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: C Master

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Gonna be following this one with interest - as a) it's you Redheart, :) and b) I have the same Cartel snowflake tucked away in my box of watches lined up for modding one day.

Could I ask which gen insert you are getting? I have a gen insert for a 16613, but it doesn't fit the cartel bezel - the insert is quite a bit too big and would look completely wrong. :(

Any chance of a link to the dial supplier?

(Tries not to get distracted from the GMT project... fails.)

Redheart

17/5/19
Thanks Nobby! I will log all advancements in this thread for sure.

About the insert it should only take a little sanding, how could it be that bigger than a 1680 insert?

I don't know from which watch it came but it looks like 16613!

I saw a gen with that kind of font

I jumped on it because I bought it cheap!

​​​​​​Hope it fits in the end!

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
I think the key issue here is that the 9411 is - like the equivalent 1680 - a 4 digit model, whereas the bezel insert you're going to try and fit is for a 5 digit model.

The dimensions for the inserts that I measure on my unreliable digital calipers are:
Cartel insert: outer 36.5 inner 30.1
16613 gen: outer 37.7 inner 30.5

So there is half a mm of material to remove from the outer edges of the gen. And with the gen having a larger inner diameter you'll end up with an insert that might look peculiarly thin. The gen also has a metal surround around the pearl which isn't correct for the 4 digit model (although this could be replaced I guess).

I also got the impression that the inner diameter difference made the gen look too loose around the crystal as well - although that might just be because it's not seated in the bezel properly.

Last edited:

Redheart

17/5/19
I see now why those are so cheap!
Thanks a lot for the dimensions Nobby!
The seller measure this :
Outside diameter approx37.6 mm
Inside diameter & width approx31.0 mm

Even more extreme than your bezel!
I guess I will have to work it out! There is no way I am not using this blue bezel on my Tudor build!
:)

Sanding the material on the outside perimeter will take a long time not to marr the finish on the face of the insert I guess.
And the inside will leave a bigger gap.
But my guess is that the outside perimeter, especially around the triangle marker will be problematic! For the pearl not to be too close to the edge, I will have to act accordingly.

I noticed the hole for the pearl in this insert is bigger than on a 4 digit bezel!

Lots of issue, and definetly a cold shower on my not so bargain catch for that insert!
But all in all, it's an aluminium ring, and all those issue can be somewhat tamed with the tools I have!

Looking at those gens, the numeral are pretty close to the edge, so it might be OK with the 16613 insert trimmed down, let's see when I have the bezel.

Reactions: p0pperini

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Looking at those gens, the numeral are pretty close to the edge, so it might be OK with the 16613 insert trimmed down, let's see when I have the bezel.
Yes, that was what I noticed too - the Tudor insert numerals touch the outer edge of the insert, which is pretty much what you’ll get when the 16613 insert is shaved down. So, it might work out okay!

Redheart

17/5/19
I have just compared the 4 digits insert I have with a 5 digits and yes the size difference is a real problem, it will require tremendous sanding, putting in jeopardy the pearl placement, and the fonts spacing to the border...

I just need to try this and see for myself though!

Reactions: p0pperini

Redheart

17/5/19
Thanks man! I wouldn't have attempt if I paid more for that insert, but I just gotta try!
Looking at some gens, the font on the insert are really stuck to the edge though
But the pearl placement, damn, it will be a problem!

ebzen02

I'm Pretty Popular
12/4/10
Gotta love the mq dials!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Hey Redheart

My eBay dial and Tiger Concepts insert arrived today. Yay!

I took one look at the insert and thought the dimensions looked totally wrong - it appeared to be way too skinny/narrow. But I test fitted it in the bezel and it fits fine. I then checked against reference online and there are plenty of photos that show the insert as this thin, so visually it matches really well with gen ref. It looks like the supplied JKF insert is actually way wider that it ought to be.

qVRmL.jpg

qVFS8.jpg

The dial looks really nice. Way closer to gen than the JKF version, the triangle shape at 12 is great. And it's a lovely dark, desaturated petrol blue. I've tried to rebalance the colour, saturation and brightness of this quick pic I took to represent the way it looks.

qVfCR.jpg

Reactions: itgoes211

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
So, as your thread title says - for a low budget build, these parts are fitting the bill nicely!

Redheart

17/5/19
Yay! Did youalso get thé hands from TC?
i am still waiting for mine to arrive.
If the DW aligns then it's a home run!
Just slim the CG and you are a happy man! :D

Redheart

17/5/19
Atthaya still are out of the lume pip. He told me he could make it in January but I hope they finish their new run this month.
I am still waiting for those to order at the same time their crown!

Redheart

17/5/19
Slap a tropic acrylic without a cyclop IMHO and it's a killer cheap 9411.