• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

1016 Franken Qs: ETA main plate mod; bezel; more

Serafino

You're Saying I Can Sell?
4/1/12
Anyone out there who can mod an ETA 28XX to take gen 1570 dial feet? I know it can be done, but it seems to be a labor of love as you come very close to moving parts. Thoughts on how to go about it also appreciated, as I am going to do it myself if I can't get someone else to do it. Hand filed slots seems to be the safest procedure. Just the thing for a capable machinist though, that would be awesome if the holes were drilled instead of slots. (If anyone has drawings of a 1570 I would love to get my hands on that, I can measure my dial but I'd love to work this out with official dimensions before I start filing.)

Anyone making 1016 bezels? JMB isn't, last I heard.

Seems ETA hand height kits are not hard to find lately, i.e. H3 or H4. Is this work about the same cost as a service or significantly less time-consuming?

I was all set to use a 2824-2, and may still due to the availability of higher quality movements, but finding out, finally, how a 2836 can have exactly correct stem height in a 160XX case has made me pause to think for a bit.

I'm also concerned to minimize shifting of the movement and dial in the case, mainly to help preserve the dial. I plan to use a Raffles movement ring but is there any benefit to using the Tudor/34mm version? Do those go on around the dial spacer?

Also with regard to sparing the dial, is there a reliable way to keep it attached to the movement? I was wondering if there might be a way to add locking screws to the main plate at the newly cut slots. I hear hypo cement is not good enough for keeping dial and movement together over time. I would consider epoxied feet in ETA positions, I think that is reasonably reversible?

Tobi007

17/1/17
Last edited:
Reactions: 369mafia

bc1221

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/4/14
You CAN use the dial with the feet but you have to basically strip down the movement and drill holes where the gen dial feet are. That is not an easy thing to do. I haven’t tried it but I can’t imagine it being easy. Drilling holes in anything in a movement can be tricky. One slip and it’s bye bye. If you have any spare movements, you can try it a few times on the main plate and see if it’s something you can do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Serafino

4/1/12
Yes drilling would require exquisite technique along machinist lines. Doing it with files seems a bit more accessible. Thanks Tobi007 for the practice plate ideas! I have a 2873 and a 2846 sitting around, maybe I'll try on those. Oh I see I can also test the reducing-dial-spacer-height idea on the 2846.