• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

5512 Gilt Dial Recommendations

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
Hey All Y'All Vintage Lovers! I'm embarking on a franken 5512 build with a gen Rolex 1560 movement. Intent right now:

- Gen 1560 movement
- Gen 700 crown (and tube)
- GS Crystal
- VN Rounded CG Case Set (Ruby or Phong)
- Slay Kissing 40 Insert OR crownartcustom Insert
- VN "Gilt" Dial
- VN Hand Set (Ruby, MQ, or Phong)

That is the short term plan, I think. Long term I will slowly invest in parts to swap out gen for aftermarket. Basically, I want a high-end build to enjoy now but will continue to make it more and more gen with time (and funds).

With that in mind, the question is how much I invest now - and I'd love your thoughts.

MQ dials look great but they're $1000. Phong's dials are only Matte with white but they're $265. Ruby dials look decent. Which would you buy? Do you know any other good dial sources?

Should I go gilt or matte?

Oh and to preempt some comments: I know I'm not buying 1:1 gen spec perfect dials. I know they all have issues. I'm debating the cost:value ratio between the sellers.

Gen:
1964-1965-01.png

Ruby:
D-1-3-5512-Ruby.jpg

Phong:
5512-4-L-1.jpg

MQ:
Screen-Shot-2020-01-31-at-10-27-43-AM.png

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
With the quality of the internals/components/case you're using, I'd have thought that an MQ dial would be obligatory!

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
With the quality of the internals/components/case you're using, I'd have thought that an MQ dial would be obligatory!

You think MQ dials are better than Phong? I’m up in the air - considering going matte white dial too.

I have a few other gloss and matte Phong dials. I have to say they’re pretty darn good.

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
You think MQ dials are better than Phong? I’m up in the air - considering going matte white dial too.

I have a few other gloss and matte Phong dials. I have to say they’re pretty darn good.

At this point I have to confess total ignorance of anything other than forum background reading... And getting quotes from MQ for some lovely looking but phenomenally expensive dials. I guess that's the price for true gilt.

However, if you ever decide to part with any of those Phongs... :)