• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Project "RWI Raffle Win"... a 1675 Build

deadpan

1/6/19
Over the horizon
There followed a comedic 45 minutes or more (I'm not sure exactly how long it was - two mugs of tea went cold in the process) while I tried in vain to get the movement tabs in. My how I laughed... Anyway, eventually the screw for the second tab was catapulted into the carpet for about the 25th time, and lost forever. So, I raided my big box o' movement tabs 'n' screws, and wouldn'tcha know it... the new screw went in first time, no fuss whatsoever.

Amazing p0pperini - congratulations! You may already be doing this, but I’ve found that Rodico is the best ‘get that screw started in the movement tab’ method. Someone on here suggested this, and (when rolled into a point with the screw on the end) it really works (for me at least).

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Amazing p0pperini - congratulations! You may already be doing this, but I’ve found that Rodico is the best ‘get that screw started in the movement tab’ method. Someone on here suggested this, and (when rolled into a point with the screw on the end) it really works (for me at least).

Thanks! And thanks for reminding me of that one deadpan. The problem is that I read this sort of fiendishly handy hint, and then while I'm doing stuff, I forget all the handy hints I've read that would help - even if they're things I've actually done before..! I really, really need to make a checklist - with handy hints incorporated - and print it out.

Reactions: deadpan

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
BTW, there's nothing like working on these miniature marvels to ram home the inescapable fact that the only way to improve is to practice, practice, practice.

And it's nice to find that some of the processes are getting easier. Now, I find that I'm setting the watch hands without too much fuss. And it's become (almost) a "tweezers only" process - I position a hand so it's resting on the pinion using brass tweezers, and then use them turned edge-on to apply the pressure to seat the hand, pressing with the tweezer arms positioned either side of the pinions.

Reactions: deadpan

cjt202020

Renowned Member
Supporter
3/2/14
Getting movement tabs in, what a riot! I’ve never managed to succeed, it’s amazing how they just ping off and disappear forever

Great work! Don’t give up now, you’re so close !

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
Good job. Glad you got there (almost) in the end.

I find that it's always harder working on something you care about when starting off.
If you have a couple of old shitters, practice on those.

And + 1 for putting movement tabs and screws in with Rodico. Put a little ball on the end of a toothpick. Its sticker when it's warmer too.
I must have about 50 screws lying dead somewhere in my office carpet from before I learned that.

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
I find that it's always harder working on something you care about when starting off.
If you have a couple of old shitters, practice on those.
I've already aged/vintagized more than half a dozen watches before this, so you'd think I ought to be getting the hang of it at least a bit. But I a) constantly forget what I did last time, and b) come up against new/different issues from one project to the next. This GMT has proved to be particularly taxing, but it's all good, self-teaching fun.

The near success with the GMT prompted me to return to a "Willard" Seiko that's been sitting in the projects drawers unfinished. I'd squirrelled that one away because I was having similar issues with having clipped the dial feet on the replacement (the watch came with a sterile dial) and failing to epoxy new feet on successfully. I cracked on with rebuilding it using dial dots, and it went together in the space of an hour or so with absolutely no issues! (Well, apart from the bezel insert, which I over-scratched trying to make the watch look like it had seen some shit in 'Nam - but went too far - so I was forced to totally ghost it... I'm not happy with the result, so I've ordered a replacement).

vGE4s.jpg

Carlytoss

Certified
18/3/16
Snitching your TLS connexion
Finally after waiting over three months for my parts... thanks to Covid-19 :(
I’ve finally received everything so I spent the day building this.

I still have a few issue... need to realign dial as date wheel is left justified... need to fix the keyless that got messed up while trying to fine tune the stem’s length.

But I’m happy as a child with a new fire truck for Christmas!!!

cee7a3b79912a0e812d5868e2c13f14b.jpg

450c12d354f88d826dde9619720de281.jpg

Thank you guys for the inspiration, the help provided to my questions.
And hourra to RWI

Cosmograph4Ever

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
3/3/20
5b05aad2291bd22de140fbd0adb505a1.jpg
2c2a7752c2fcaac4146877f4a10c5fdf.jpg
72086372f87fb9d5f1cb8e478f579859.jpg
3598dae888fee8e2b012a3e89349c273.jpg
5d0f2fd45435361d3ccbe60a5bf3dd59.jpg
51f6af383366620d07e7ea706c2ce1d8.jpg

This thread is a true treasure trove for the Milk 1675 and beyond. Thank you to all contributors and the OP for the inspiration, the good questions and good answers. Can’t wait to get this gem together. :)

ToaTilan

Horology Curious
23/2/20
Hey guys,
maybe it has been already mentioned in this thread, but what movement can be used to fit milks case?

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
2836 or gen

Or DG3804 (2813 with GMT module) or 2879... Whatever movement you use ToaTilan (sorry can't tag you - I get a post error when I do), you'll probably need a custom movement spacer to hold it. I sent tripdog the dimensions of my case, and he made me a spacer. However, it wasn't quite correct due to... reasons (which had nothing to do with tripdog, obvs!). See below.

And on that teaser, here's an update on my project. In my previous posts I mentioned how tricky the build had turned out (for someone with my extremely limited experience) and how I'd sent it to ado213 to get it put together properly. So, I heard from Ado this weekend. Here's his report on what he had to do to rescue the poor GMT from my amateur efforts...

If ever you are building a watch in the future with a dial without dial feet, the movement spacer is very critical. More so than when you build a watch with dial feet.

Your movement spacer was 0.3 mm too big on the inside diameter and around 0.2 mm on the outside, this allows the movement/dial to move in the watch when you pull the crown out. An Eta movement is 26 mm diameter your case inner diameter was 28.6 mm (off memory).

Now as you know the normal way of doing this type of build is to bond the dial spacer to the movement and the dial to the dial spacer. I find this a bit counterproductive as if you want to service the movement you have to do the bonding all over again.

what I do is make the movement space a very slight "interference fit"with both the case and the movement. I make sure the movement spacer goes all the way down, to the underside of the rehaut.

This way you actually clamp the dial to the rehaut, whilst capturing the movement.

The height of both the movement spacer and the tab groove in the case are also critical, I had to adjust your case tab groove to get a good fit for the movement tabs. So in short your compress the dial to the rehaut by using the compressive force of the movement tabs. I've done a few like this and its a far better way of doing it, it makes a better build.

At some point you will be able to see how I've done it if and when it needs servicing again.

The dial spacer you had on was 0.8 mm thick which is a standard height dial spacer. This height whilst clearing the date wheel overlay did not clear the GMT gearing, which meant it was touching the underside of the dial.

It was also too thin for the stem to be centred in the case tube, always check this height before you do a build and make sure the stem is centred to the case tube

I have put you a 1.1 mm dial spacer in, the dial now clears the GMT gears and the stem height is pretty bang on.

Now the bezel, this when fitted didn't turn at all. It happens oh to often with these GMT's. When you press the crystal retainer over the plexi the retainer swells so as to get a interference fit. This inevitably stops the bezel from turning, there are lots of way of solving this, but I have a lathe so i just bore the bezel ever so slightly bit by bit, its not really something you can measure, more of a feel. It does take some time to do this, as too much and its a piss fit, too little and it wont turn, so it's "gently Bentley", a bit at a time.

But finally he ends with:

The GMT is done now.
WOO!

I sent him the GMT with two Kermits that needed work at the same time, so I've not got it back yet - but it's fantastic to hear that it's done, and has been rebuilt properly by someone who actually knows what they're doing! :) Pics will follow, as soon as it's back in my clutches!

Last edited:

FREEWIFI

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
24/2/19
2836 or gen

That is what milk told me yesterday via PM because I asked the same question- No experience in 1675 builds.

I’m about to take a case from him and actually sourcing parts hope they appear soon :)

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
My “Project RWI Raffle Win” Milk case GMT is complete! Fresh back from expert final assembly by ado213 (as detailed above). I’ve been busy today, so only had time for a couple of snaps. A proper photo session will follow soon.

bf638b1daedb87ebb7d58628dea49a6f.plist

2e081b91daa6af34f3a855f1f1088139.plist

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Replica01

I'm Pretty Popular
27/11/16
My “Project RWI Raffle Win” Milk case GMT is complete! Fresh back from expert final assembly by ado213 (as detailed above). I’ve been busy today, so only had time for a couple of snaps. A proper photo session will follow soon.

Looks very very nice my friend, enjoy!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G981B met Tapatalk

Reactions: p0pperini

cjt202020

Renowned Member
Supporter
3/2/14
Looks tremendous - enjoy!! Please don’t say we’ve reached the end of this thread ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18

Beautiful bro. A perfect addition to your vintage collection. Congrats!