• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Project "RWI Raffle Win"... a 1675 Build

Dan71

Renowned Member
24/4/15
Italy
I follow with interest nice project ..
I have a question i remember that you have a 6542 do you have try to make a decal dial on it ?

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
I follow with interest nice project ..
I have a question i remember that you have a 6542 do you have try to make a decal dial on it ?
Hi Dan, yes that's right, I have two of the 6542 GMTs - the Serpico y Laino dial versions from TS-Station. As yet I haven't done the decal dial on one of them, it's still a project for the future. I'd temporarily given up on producing my own decal dials due to the poor resolution of my printers. But I got re-enthused about the idea when I won this case, and fortunately I found a laser printer that seems up to the task. So this project will be the proof of whether or not I can pull it off... :)

Reactions: Dan71

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16
Okay, dial (now the right diameter) epoxied in position on the dial feet! Once they’ve had time to properly set, I’ll remove the dial and spacer and then clip a little from the dial spacer (as chubbychaser911 was suggesting), so it clears the flat parts of the feet and the dial can sit against the spacer.

11a5dc2620ecabd8cb48b023b14ffc35.plist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perfect position on the center dial hole mate good job:punk:

Reactions: p0pperini

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16
Thanks lawlessflyer, appreciate it. We all pick up useful tips from each other! The Dremel workstation is a very inexpensive but handy piece of kit. As you can tell from the polish splattered all over mine, it gets plenty of use!

Thanks for the link and infornation mate! I'll be purchasing this, as I too am a dremel fanatic :cool:

Redheart

17/5/19
Yes GingerBubba, that's what I think I'll be doing - I'm going to try some very light gloss clear cote over it to add a little of the lacquered look back, that's been lost to the bleaching.

In order to restore some shine to the insert, you can use 6000 or 8000 grit paper and wet sanding. Check often by drying to not remove any paint.

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
In order to restore some shine to the insert, you can use 6000 or 8000 grit paper and wet sanding. Check often by drying to not remove any paint.
Oooooh... that’s an excellent tip! Thanks Red!

Redheart

17/5/19
Okay, dial (now the right diameter) epoxied in position on the dial feet! Once they’ve had time to properly set, I’ll remove the dial and spacer and then clip a little from the dial spacer (as chubbychaser911 was suggesting), so it clears the flat parts of the feet and the dial can sit against the spacer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey, just a sneak peek at my next Milk case 1675! And let me cheer you up to do yours bud!

Last edited:

chubbychaser911

31/10/19
Quick question red heart. How do you get the insert to fit without sanding the outside edge? I can see that there’s no paint removed on the edge

itgoes211

10/4/19
Thanks for the link and infornation mate! I'll be purchasing this, as I too am a dremel fanatic :cool:

Floor Drill Stand Rotary Flex Shaft Tool Stand Holder Accessory For Hand Drill 1/2-Inch, Stand Table for Drill Press Workbench https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MRO3CVF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_dlEvEbC5AVZAChttp://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MRO3CVF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_dlEvEbC5AVZAC

...Is another option for those in the US. It’s also handy for dremels and hand drills as well in case you want to do some lugholes etc.
Hope this helps.

Btw, great thread. I’ve been swamped with no time lately to to do any building, so with the little time spurts I have lately, this is one of the threads that keeps me sane (and from a buying spree). Thanks for keeping it going. Looking forward to more...
cheers all!

rwatch0

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
12/11/16
Belgium
Thanks lawlessflyer, appreciate it. We all pick up useful tips from each other! The Dremel workstation is a very inexpensive but handy piece of kit. As you can tell from the polish splattered all over mine, it gets plenty of use!

Great thread! And thanks for the tip and link to the dremel station, that will make things a lot easier when I'm drilling lugholes etc
Kudos on your work and the great info here!

Redheart

17/5/19
Quick question red heart. How do you get the insert to fit without sanding the outside edge? I can see that there’s no paint removed on the edge

I didn't fit anything, it's just roughly held by my fingers. I must sand it down, and it's time consuming!

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
You can touch up the edge of a sanded aluminum insert with a correct color sharpie. Alcohol takes off any excess spillover onto the top.

Last edited:

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
p0pperini - in case you’re still looking for a dial :)
Thanks Mr. Solution, appreciate the heads-up. Not sure I'd be willing to part with that sum for a dial posted on eBay, just because the seller says, "100% ORIGINAL ROLEX". I really don't have anything like the depth of knowledge to know if I'm being sold a pup... :)

Fortunately I'm not looking for a dial - I have my blank all prepared, and my dial decal printed and ready to apply. I just need to get myself organised and ACTUALLY DO IT! (I did warn right at the start of this that my progress on projects is always glacial, to put it mildly).

Reactions: Solution6

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
"Stoopid Saturday" update... This morning I got up, the sun was shining and I was feeling motivated. I'll get the decal applied to the dial blank! Ah, the blank is a little tarnished, I'll just give it a light sanding to get it shiny again. Oh, now I've knocked both the dial feet off... again. Right - better epoxy them back on. Oh, now I've dropped the movement, and it looks like the seconds pinion is broke. (Checks reference photos) Ah no, it's not broke - they don't stick out from these movements like they do from a 2813. Phew. Okay, sod it - I'm going to get the decal on, and then epoxy the dial to the feet.

Wish me luck - pics to follow later!

Reactions: GingerBubba

Redheart

17/5/19
"Stoopid Saturday" update... This morning I got up, the sun was shining and I was feeling motivated. I'll get the decal applied to the dial blank! Ah, the blank is a little tarnished, I'll just give it a light sanding to get it shiny again. Oh, now I've knocked both the dial feet off... again. Right - better epoxy them back on. Oh, now I've dropped the movement, and it looks like the seconds pinion is broke. (Checks reference photos) Ah no, it's not broke - they don't stick out from these movements like they do from a 2813. Phew. Okay, sod it - I'm going to get the decal on, and then epoxy the dial to the feet.

Wish me luck - pics to follow later!

I am rooting for you! I am sure your 1675 is gonna be killer! Don't let the usual quirks building custom vintage watches get in the way of the finished build! It's gonna work out in the end, it always does!

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
I am rooting for you! I am sure your 1675 is gonna be killer! Don't let the usual quirks building custom vintage watches get in the way of the finished build! It's gonna work out in the end, it always does!
Thanks Redheart, don’t worry, I’m not downhearted, just lazy and flitting from one thing to another! Also I didn’t post an update because I can’t post to RWI from Tapatalk at the moment, so posting quick pics from my phone wasn’t possible. But basically the decal dial is going to look amazing, once I get one to fully adhere to the dial. My first attempt only partially stuck and had a lot of tiny air bubbles. So, my technique needs refining.

Okay, I’ve just uploaded a few pics to clickpix... here you go:
YTlLD.jpg

YTBGY.jpg

YTC7o.jpg

YTp8k.jpg

YTTzJ.jpg