• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Project "RWI Raffle Win"... a 1675 Build

chubbychaser911

31/10/19
Lol. There are different size screw threads on the winding stem. The way the thread size is described is called the tap size. I found a chart which converts thread size to tape size. .9mm is tap 10. If your winding stem has a different threaded size than your crown you have to buy a converter. They’re only a couple of bucks but they have names like tap 10 to tap 9 winding stem adaptor. Trust me I’m learning a lot here too. Who would have thought that winding stem sizes would have such a variety and such a weird name? Must date back hundreds of years or something.

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Lol. There are different size screw threads on the winding stem. The way the thread size is described is called the tap size. I found a chart which converts thread size to tape size. .9mm is tap 10. If your winding stem has a different threaded size than your crown you have to buy a converter. They’re only a couple of bucks but they have names like tap 10 to tap 9 winding stem adaptor. Trust me I’m learning a lot here too. Who would have thought that winding stem sizes would have such a variety and such a weird name? Must date back hundreds of years or something.

:D well, I was being a little ignorant for comic effect, and what you just wrote there actually does make some sense to me cc. :)

A very, very long time ago I did a bit of metalwork and thread cutting so I'm familiar with taps and dies. But we're probably talking over 25 years ago, and I've long since forgotten all the terminology!

The Fetishist

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
28/1/20
guys do you have any advice on which glue to use to paste the date for an overlay? also which glue to use to glue the dial on the movement ring?

mclarendude

𝙟𝙚𝙩𝙨𝙥𝙚𝙚𝙙
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
16/2/11
ATL
guys do you have any advice on which glue to use to paste the date for an overlay? also which glue to use to glue the dial on the movement ring?

Epoxy, GS Hypo Cement, dial dots... I have been using dial dots for overlays and have had good results. GS Hypo Cement tends not to be a good choice anymore but it's good to practice. 15 minute epoxy is the consensus from what I have gathered.

Reactions: KJ2020

The Fetishist

Banned
28/1/20
Epoxy, GS Hypo Cement, dial dots... I have been using dial dots for overlays and have had good results. GS Hypo Cement tends not to be a good choice anymore but it's good to practice. 15 minute epoxy is the consensus from what I have gathered.

thanks a lot sir, I checked but there are multiple versions, you can attach a link of the exact one in order not to make mistakes

JohnnyBe

Put Some Respect On My Name
3/1/16
My "milk" case build says hello

oIPii.jpg

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Epoxy, GS Hypo Cement, dial dots... I have been using dial dots for overlays and have had good results. GS Hypo Cement tends not to be a good choice anymore but it's good to practice.
I hadn't come across GS Hypo before I started playing about with watches. It's a curious glue... Seems a lot like Evo-Stick or other general purpose adhesives, but with the added complication of being incredibly stringy. I can never get a clean application of the stuff because of the hair-fine strand that is whisped across my work as I move the needle-point applicator off the target surface. Did I just get a bad tube or is it always like that?

I've also used Slo-Zap thick CA cement (superglue). It's a gel-like glue (thicker than normal super glue's watery consistency) and it has a slower curing time so you don't have the usual heart-stopping 2 nanoseconds to get the pieces positioned right before they're forever stuck together slightly wrong - which is everyone's experience of regular super glue... :)

Last edited:

The Fetishist

Banned
28/1/20
I hadn't come across GS Hypo before I started playing about with watches. It's a curious glue... Seems a lot like Evo-Stick or other general purpose adhesives, but with the added complication of being incredibly stringy. I can never get a clean application of the stuff because of the hair-fine strand that is whisped across my work as I move the needle-point applicator off the target surface. Did I just get a bad tube or is it always like that?

I've also used Slo-Zap thick CA cement (superglue). It's a gel-like glue (thicker than normal super glue's watery consistency) and it has a slower curing time so you don't have the usual heart-stopping 2 nanoseconds to get the pieces positioned right before they're forever stuck together slightly wrong - which is everyone's experience of regular super glue... :)
so what advice can you give me based on your experience

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
Last edited:
Reactions: mclarendude

The Fetishist

Banned
28/1/20
the bonus to using this shit is it never really dries , the red is thinner than the blue , it can be removed easy with a razorblade

i use 4 tiny drops on the DW at 12,3,6,9 positions

you should have about 10-15 minutes to get it positioned

https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-8116...34594292&psc=1

thanks a lot raddave really appreciated your advice surely i will go this way, i can use the same glue to attach the dial to the movement ring

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
thanks a lot raddave really appreciated your advice surely i will go this way, i can use the same glue to attach the dial to the movement ring

You can , but be advised , the RTV is stinky , lets off a vinegar smell . , make sure it cures fully , 24-48 hours , before you case it up , or it could put residue on the inside of the xtal

The Fetishist

Banned
28/1/20
You can , but be advised , the RTV is stinky , lets off a vinegar smell . , make sure it cures fully , 24-48 hours , before you case it up , or it could put residue on the inside of the xtal

very well i will let you know how it went, thank you very much

Reactions: Raddave