• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Project "RWI Raffle Win"... a 1675 Build

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
And thanks Mr. Seamaster. I have a gen crown incoming soon (fingers crossed, just waiting to check some pics of it).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mr Seamaster

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
So I've had this dial offered to me by MQ. I asked for the price and have just had an email to say "Price for Rolex Dial GMT Ref 1675 Depth Gilt & Glossy Dial Original Rare! is 6200EUR"... I've replied asking for confirmation of whether he actually means 620EUR. :)

What does the collective think? Is it worth paying 3 times the price of a dial from Ruby? I'm torn... I do love the originality of this...

ao1uL.jpg

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Here's the closest Ruby dial, for comparison:

aonZR.jpg

Parto

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
2/7/18
UK
As a cheaper alternative maybe send an image of that dial to Helenarou. A custom printed dial from them will be <$200.

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
As a cheaper alternative maybe send an image of that dial to Helenarou. A custom printed dial from them will be <$200.

Thanks Parto. It certainly would be a cheaper alternative, as I've just had a reply from MQ confirming that the price for the 1675 dial is 6200€... The "original and rare" description being the clue... 8O

I've emailed Helenrou for a quote, and to find out what format they would want artwork done in. I can reproduce the MQ dial in Illustrator/Photoshop.

Last edited:

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Thanks Parto. It certainly would be a cheaper alternative, as I've just had a reply from MQ confirming that the price for the 1675 dial is 6200€... The "original and rare" description being the clue... 8O

I've emailed Helenrou for a quote, and to find out what format they would want artwork done in. I can reproduce the MQ dial in Illustrator/Photoshop.

Helen Rou does not make true gilt dials fyi

Reactions: Parto

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
If I can manage to find a couple if things, then I'd continue with my own dial print projects. Note that I'm not talking about pad-printed in the traditional way, but rather by using a water-slide transfer to layer the dial print over a brass blank. See this thread: https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...l-printed-dial

However, what I still need to source are:
1) a printer (laser preferably) that will print at 1200 dpi or better
2) a film that will dry and adhere without wrinkling (which has been the problem to date).

I bought a B&W laser that was advertised as being able to print up to the target res - but then found the terrible driver software meant it was impossible to achieve this. And I have also found that my water slide film wrinkles as it dries (but this could be down to my defective workflow/application attempts!).

The closest I've come to success is this:

aoBW1.jpg

This is with a Canon inkjet printer that does 1200dpi. But this print lifted a little at the edges, so I damped it down to flatten it - and it wrinkled! In retrospect I probably didn't need to worry about the edges having lifted slightly as they'd have been flattened by the dial against the inside of the case.

But I also think the print resolution is below the standard I'd like. I'll need to experiment with the MQ dial details, and see how it goes.

Just to double-check here, the dial diameter I need to work with is 27.3mm - correct? (I haven't actually checked with anyone yet to find out what dial/movement combo fits the milk case lol! I just assumed it was 27.3 and an Asian/ETA 2836 GMT movement...)

Last edited:
Reactions: SuperTopGun

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
7/10/15
Ireland
All I will say is nipple dial Root Beer :)

I am looking forward to see how that case gets used :)

Reactions: EagleBear

Mr Seamaster

Renowned Member
27/4/12
So I've had this dial offered to me by MQ. I asked for the price and have just had an email to say "Price for Rolex Dial GMT Ref 1675 Depth Gilt & Glossy Dial Original Rare! is 6200EUR"... I've replied asking for confirmation of whether he actually means 620EUR. :)

What does the collective think? Is it worth paying 3 times the price of a dial from Ruby? I'm torn... I do love the originality of this...

ao1uL.jpg

MQ is the man lol jesus 6.2k..

As you’ve already said, I’d either get a Ruby’s (easiest way) or make one yourself- which is less easy but I‘d love to see the outcome.

Reactions: p0pperini

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Just to double-check here, the dial diameter I need to work with is 27.3mm - correct? (I haven't actually checked with anyone yet to find out what dial/movement combo fits the milk case lol! I just assumed it was 27.3 and an Asian/ETA 2836 GMT movement...)

What you could check on the watch case is both dial seat diameter and dial opening diameter (inside rehaut diameter).

DIAL-SPECS.jpg

Starting with those infos + the lenght of the minute hand you want to use you can design a "perfect" GMT gilt dial

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
What you could check on the watch case is both dial seat diameter and dial opening diameter (inside rehaut diameter).

Starting with those infos + the lenght of the minute hand you want to use you can design a "perfect" GMT gilt dial

Wow manodeoro - I was just planning to measure the cavity in the case with my lovely cheap digital calipers and call it job done - but your instructions are much more thorough! Cheers! :)

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Wow manodeoro - I was just planning to measure the cavity in the case with my lovely cheap digital calipers and call it job done - but your instructions are much more thorough! Cheers! :)

You're welcome n0bby ... always happy to share ideas ...

BTW ... about making your own gilt dials ... this WE I've been tinkering with film-free decals and it seems that could be a way to get nice results ...
I've made some errors, like letting the glue cure too long before applying the decal and not applying the squeegee with enough strength, so there are some black parts missing after removing the decal film from the dial plate ...
Nevertheless I really think that with some more training I can get really good results and the closest "real gilt printing" that I could get ... apart from paad-printing of course ...
What is really interesting with that method is that the black parts are scratchproof and waterproof ... something you can't achieve with classic decal method ...

BTW ...
I've designed that dial on Illustrator, exported it .TIFF at a 24000 ppi def (highest you can get while exporting .TIFF using Illustrator), modified the .TIFF with Photoshop to 6000 ppi, then printed it on a laser copier at 1200/1200 ppi.
Result in real is much better than what you see here... my Moto G7 phone is not really good for taking close-up pics ... I'll try to do better later with the next dial tests ...

IMG-20200114-085238722.jpg

Last edited:

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
Redheart Beautiful job on the pcg mate. They look awesome. This is my plan for my '62 exclamation point 1675 I have a custom Bart Cordell gilt print dial in a model bp case . My build desereves better and and have considered for months picking up a vietnam case to finish my build but ruby didnt have the correct date stamp that I wanted and the price was becoming difficult to justify.

Milks case sets are perfect for this. meaty lugs and a blank slate so that I can send it over to JMB for proper year appropriate engravings.

I think I will be attempting for lugs like this on mine.

Congrats n0bby on the win!! Look fwd to seeing progress on your build.

This is my 1675 currently and will create my own thread once I have received a case set started work on it.

Reactions: p0pperini