• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Project "RWI Raffle Win"... a 1675 Build

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Hey all,

I was extremely fortunate to win a beautiful gen spec 1675 case, plus bezel and crystal, in the RWI 2019 raffle. So I thought it would be nice to catalogue the progress from its arrival today to completion - and along the way to get advice and recommendations from you, the vastly more experienced RWI crowd. My huge thanks go to milk051506 for these cases, yodog for the scalloped edge bezel, and tripdog for his reworking of the case prior to it being sent to me.

Trip's photo review of the case is here.

I also went ahead and bought two of milk's bezel inserts. One fuchsia and one BLRO. This chap is a goldmine of lovely GMT parts for us!

I've only just received the case today, so I've just had the briefest of ganders this evening and taken a couple of snaps.

WSWsk.png

WSUnD.png

This weekend, I'll start to give more thought to the other parts I'll need to source to get on with the project.

I've already had some advice from tripdog: "I would look at early versions of the 1675 GMT if I were you, the case and lugs are quite slim, so an early gilt dialed 1675 would be the obvious choice for me as the cases from these watches would have been polished and brushed many times since the late 50's/early 60's. A gloss gilt dial, dwarf GMT hand, 7206 rivet bracelet - would make a great looking watch." He recommended Ruby's for a dial - so I'm currently looking at those. Any other thoughts and advice would be welcome.

I'll post progress pics as the project advances.

Thanks again to RWI for the great raffle prizes!

thewaters

Horology Curious
5/11/18
Nice! I picked up one of these cases recently and I'm slowly working on sourcing parts for it. Still need to have the case reworked though.

Your cgs look great after the reshaping work.

Reactions: p0pperini

Redheart

17/5/19
Congrats mate! This is a very beautiful case! I am also working on it, and I did the PCG. I was inspired by this gen. I don't want to hijack your thread, but I just wanted to share with you my progress ;)
Will do my own thread when the watch is done!

The blade PCG GEN :

And my own version with Milk case!

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Redheart Thanks for posting - and for sharing your build pics. As I said at the top, all advice and comments are welcome and appreciated.

Damn, I LOVE the work you've done on the CGs!

I was literally just taking a sneaky peek (I'm at work) at potential inspirations for my build when I got notified of your post, so your timing was perfect. I was just looking at this one: https://www.hqmilton.com/timepieces/...gilt-dial-3473 which represents a GMT that came into being a year after I did! I'm liking the level of bezel fade and the rich lume colouration on this one.

Last edited:

Redheart

17/5/19
Hey all,

This weekend, I'll start to give more thought to the other parts I'll need to source to get on with the project.

I've already had some advice from tripdog: "I would look at early versions of the 1675 GMT if I were you, the case and lugs are quite slim, so an early gilt dialed 1675 would be the obvious choice for me as the cases from these watches would have been polished and brushed many times since the late 50's/early 60's. A gloss gilt dial, dwarf GMT hand, 7206 rivet bracelet - would make a great looking watch." He recommended Ruby's for a dial - so I'm currently looking at those. Any other thoughts and advice would be welcome.

I'll post progress pics as the project advances.

Thanks again to RWI for the great raffle prizes!

About the dial, a gilt is for sure a nice choice. Regarding the chapter minute track or no chapter, I would choose no chapter.
Simply because I wish I made that choice! The reason is I also have a nice 5512 with chapter and gilt from Ruby also, and I just wish for variety that I would have a non chapter gilt 1675.

Redheart

17/5/19
Redheart Thanks for posting - and for sharing your build pics. As I said at the top, all advice and comments are welcome and appreciated.

Damn, I LOVE the work you've done on the CGs!

I was literally just taking a sneaky peek (I'm at work) at potential inspirations for my build when I got notified of your post, so your timing was perfect. I was just looking at this one: https://www.hqmilton.com/timepieces/...gilt-dial-3473 which represents a GMT that came into being a year after I did! I'm liking the level of bezel fade and the rich lume colouration on this one.

Thanks mate! This is a nice choice! If you like it, go ahead! Milk mega font insert might just be the ticket for this kind of look, but I am sure it will be very very hard to replicate, I mean that gen insert is glorious!

Speaking about the SCG, I am not a fan of the over polished look, for this specific reason. I already did a 1655 build with SCG look like that, so again, for "Variety".
But that is just my taste!
On a more rational level, I think we must take advantage of the Milk case, on what it offers that the viet case, or the cartel case don't offer. Amongst those things what I like about Milk case, are the big fat CG.

But if your plan is to replicate that gen but keeping your actual SCG, yes, it will be glorious mate!

Reactions: 369mafia

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Thanks for your thoughts Redheart. I readily admit I know far less about the history and variations of the GMT than I do about the Sub (and that's not much better really - I'm just always re-reading the Guido book on the Sub!). So I wasn't planning to rush into this - but try and take some time to get a better feel for the vintage GMTs. So that HQ Milton example was just the first one I'd seen on my Google ramble that looked the part (and I liked its birth date - heh).

When you say, "Speaking about the SCG, I am not a fan of the over polished look" - I take it you're referring to the HQ Milton example? I noted that it has really soft CGs - but I'm not planning to replicate them. And although I do love a set of PCGs, the case I've received is so nice I think I'd prefer to work with it as it comes and not touch it further. I'd prefer to put the effort into getting the look right for the insert, dial and hands.

Redheart

17/5/19
Yes of course, I was speaking about the gen from your link. And taking your time is a very good idea, that kind of build is so special, you will sure keep this one and it will be a treasure!

49361711807_f4ea20cd93_3k.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: p0pperini

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
SuperTopGun Thanks for more inspiration! Your dial is lovely.

What’s interesting is that although your dial is white print, you’ve got one with the sans serif font that is also used on the gilt dial example I’m favouring (HQ Milton link in my post above). But on Ruby, all the gilt dials have a copperplate style font (they have small sharp serifs). So what I really want is your dial - but a gilt version.

BTW, does anyone know whether there are any downloadable books about the GMT, in PDF form? I’ve got a couple (Sub and Daytona histories) that I discovered links to on the fora, but haven’t come across anything similar about the GMT. Alternatively, maybe I’ve missed a really informative article or site online. Again, any advice would be appreciated. Cheers!

Last edited:

SuperTopGun

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
10/2/15
Beautiful! Thanks SuperTopGun. I dread to think what it costs... but I shall find out.

Friend is certainly more expensive than others but he is the only one I have found

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Friend is certainly more expensive than others but he is the only one I have found
I'm not aware of this dial design being available anywhere else either. I'll have to decide whether to man up and pay up, or wimp out and go with a Ruby's dial. I am planning on selling a couple of surplus ARF Daytonas, so that might sway my decision. Watch this space... :)

Mr Seamaster

Renowned Member
27/4/12
As others already said. I’d get a Ruby’s gilt dial, gen 5.3mm crown, 2836-2, some nice aftermarket hands and a jubilee/ rivet.

Congrats again to your awesome win!

SuperTopGun

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
10/2/15
As others already said. I’d get a Ruby’s gilt dial, gen 5.3mm crown, 2836-2, some nice aftermarket hands and a jubilee/ rivet.

Congrats again to your awesome win!

For your project, or to sell?