• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Project "RWI Raffle Win"... a 1675 Build

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Bezel insert NEWS... The maker himself, milk, confirmed that these don't fit the bezel OOB and need to be thinned/shaved, and reports here confirmed this. So this morning (planning to spend today on doing all the shaving - inserts and dial) I tried a test fit, to see how far out the inserts were from snapping in. And... they snapped straight in!

In fact, they're the first bezel inserts I've ever owned that actually snap into the bezel as designed, and stay in place perfectly without anything sticky added to keep them from falling back out. :)

mDcnP.jpg

mDbQk.jpg

mDGxY.jpg

mDFXs.jpg

The key differentiating factor in my case set is the bezel being a yodog one. So, a note to yodog, milk051506 and also tripdog who finished this sweet case - the milk/yodog insert/bezel combo is perfect! Thanks again!

:D

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Wow that’s great. Yodog’s bezel is a coin edge bezel right?
Hey cc, yodog’s bezel (as shown in the photos above) has “scalloped” edges. The coin edge bezel is a square, hard-edged profile design, like you’d see on the 6542 or the big crown Sub.

Reactions: chubbychaser911

chubbychaser911

31/10/19
Ah gotcha. I didn’t even know that about the coin edge being 6542 reference. I looked at gmt master history and noticed there’s an early bezel and later bezel. Yodogs looks like the early version. I figured that was what people meant when they said coin edge. The bezel from milk is later bezel style.

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Ah gotcha. I didn’t even know that about the coin edge being 6542 reference. I looked at gmt master history and noticed there’s an early bezel and later bezel. Yodogs looks like the early version. I figured that was what people meant when they said coin edge. The bezel from milk is later bezel style.
The term “coin edge” is very literal - the knurled edge on these bezels look just like the knurling on the edge of some coins.

Redheart

17/5/19
Sharing the advancement of my Milk case 1675 project with the winner of the end of decade raffle!

First the 3 gen 1675 from R factory that started my lust for a better than cartel base 1675! :
1-the first 1675 crown guards that made me badly want those sick looking blade PCG
49452476472_6b68e5e9ac_o.png

2-a nice combi of fuchsia insert and all red with chapter dial, man that is flashy 1675!
49452476387_485a65d08d_o.png

3-and the most fat blade PCG I found ( nice insert too, damn that's sexy!)
49452245221_755b5d1c75_o.png

And now another gen 1675... No I am just kidding, it's mine!
Still need to finalize by swaping the hands for better ones, and sorting a stem issue, but here are my 1675 with Milk case!

49451764483_82ca029577_o.jpg

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Awesome post Redheart! I love your GMT... If you have time at some point, it would be great to get a breakdown of all the components you ended up using.

Last edited:

chubbychaser911

31/10/19
Nice. I never realized how long the pointy crown guards could be. I think all of the examples I’ve seen have been very polished and the CG’s shrank.

Redheart

17/5/19
Awesome post Redheart! I love your GMT... If you have time at some point, it would be great to get a breakdown of all the components you ended up using.

Thanks Nobby ;)
- mid case, bezel from Milk
- mov holder from Milk (needed a little mod)
- insert from Instagram
- 2836 and roulette DW from Li 6542 as well as thé hands
- gen crown
- Viet dial
- all red gmt from raffles
- Clark's crystal

The Fetishist

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
28/1/20
I read this thread carefully, I can't wait to see it completed

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Okies, so a lil' update before bed tonight...
Things are coming together slowly.
I've got a good bunch of the parts I need now, and the last ones incoming.

In the bag:
milk case
yodog scalloped bezel
2x milk inserts (direct fit to bezel)
HZ6460 (2836-2 GMT clone) movement
Roulette DWO
gen crown (need to find out whether it'll fit the stem of the 6460 mvmt)
Big GMT hand (in a recent M2M deal)

In progress:
The gilt dial project

Incoming:
Movement holder (Raffles-time)
Merc Hands (Raffles-time)
Sternkreuz plexi XS302.450 (Cousins)

The only thing I'm currently not sure about is the stem/gen crown situation, so I need to research that further (hint hint...) ;)

Quick pic of the movement and DWO...

mvXR8.jpg

Also, a little light relief... a shot of my latest M2M buy, once I removed the bezel. The plastic gasket had been lost so the owner before the chap I bought from had resorted to good old blu tack to keep the bezel on.

mvTBR.jpg

Sadly the advertised Clarks plexi was cracked all around its edges and only good for the bin, so I ordered a bunch of the Sternkreuz plexis from Cousins.

Redheart

17/5/19
Okies, so a lil' update before bed tonight...

The only thing I'm currently not sure about is the stem/gen crown situation, so I need to research that further (hint hint...) ;)

Don't worry, the gen crown is taking 0.9mm stems, and that is the size of those eta clones stems!

Redheart

17/5/19
why did you choose roulette dw? Unless I am mistaken this is kind of fantasy on a 1675 hehe :)
Me I chose a roulette DW because that's what came with my 2836, and it looks pretty cool!

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
why did you choose roulette dw? Unless I am mistaken this is kind of fantasy on a 1675 hehe :)
Me I chose a roulette DW because that's what came with my 2836, and it looks pretty cool!
Thanks for the confirmation on the stem size Redheart!

I chose a roulette date wheel because I really like them! I’m thinking that, as a high-rolling customer ordering my GMT, I can have whatever I want. :D

(I reserve the right to cancel my order for a roulette DW if getting it lined up proves too much of a PITA...) :)

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
n0bby cannot wait to see how it will come out :) Your test prints look :daydreaming:
I have also ordered from Sunnyscopa but it seems they are not in a rush - it took them more than a week to post an order through Ebay.

Your post is perfectly timed - the package from Sunnyscopa arrived today! At the recommendation of RWI member manodeoro I ordered the type W1 glue and 10 A4 sheets of "Type A" film-free waterslide paper (I'll cut the paper down to A6 to economise when printing). So I will hopefully get a dial print onto my blank this weekend... I still need to shave my dial down to size tho.

Watchpocketguide42

Horology Curious
1/1/20
UK
I'll cut the paper down to A6 to economise when printing
I have ordered Multi Purpose type :woo:I have also read that cutting paper to A6 is more economic but also reduces the heat paper has to endure, so it's better for decals.
I am still working on a dial template, but luckily for me I have access to a big laser printer at work, so prints already look alright. If you don't mind, I will be interested to hear what printing settings you will find the best, and of course, how the application went :) Fingers crossed it will turn out great :)