• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Project "RWI Raffle Win"... a 1675 Build

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
The print quality is so sharp!
It is! But it also spins me back a stage, to tweak the artwork some more. When the decal is applied to the dial, the text that I'd carefully added white outlines to (in order to stop it visually filling in on my test prints) now looks too thick. So I need to experiment with that some more. But it's good to see the amount of clarity that's in the print once it's applied to the brass. And the density of the black ink is good too. I will also need to burnish the print onto the dial more before removing the carrier film, now I can see that little elements like the inside of "O"s can fail to stick.

chubbychaser911

31/10/19
So here’s my current finding on dg3804. The movement ring for case #2 is close but not quite good enough. It won’t fully seat in the case. There’s a lip close to where the dial seats that won’t let the movement ring fully insert into the case. So I broke down and decided to go with a YUKI movement holder. That thing is fifty dollars versus 10 bucks for the raffles time holder. But looking at the pictures it seems that the yuki holder will fit into the case.

so I’ve also ordered the hangzhou 6460 which is the eta 2836 GMT. Never pay more for an eta 2836 GMT because it’s actually a HZ 6460. Still though I was unable to find it for less than 107.

when it arrives I’ll post pictures.

I had the dg3804 fitted into the case but based on the movement holder it just wasn’t sitting still whenever I used the crown to change time etc. but damn it it looked so good. So close.

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16
So here’s my current finding on dg3804. The movement ring for case #2 is close but not quite good enough. It won’t fully seat in the case. There’s a lip close to where the dial seats that won’t let the movement ring fully insert into the case. So I broke down and decided to go with a YUKI movement holder. That thing is fifty dollars versus 10 bucks for the raffles time holder. But looking at the pictures it seems that the yuki holder will fit into the case.

so I’ve also ordered the hangzhou 6460 which is the eta 2836 GMT. Never pay more for an eta 2836 GMT because it’s actually a HZ 6460. Still though I was unable to find it for less than 107.

I had the dg3804 fitted into the case but based on the movement holder it just wasn’t sitting still whenever I used the crown to change time etc. but damn it it looked so good. So close.

I've had that 50 yuki movement holder and it does the job 100% perfect fitment and it actually has a "inner ridge" cut out so it fits over the eta based movements nicely. I've built my 16610 Franken with this movement ring using eta 2824 movement.

Reactions: KJ2020

chubbychaser911

31/10/19
Thanks lawless for letting me know. It's just painful to pay that much because I know if some enterprising soul would make one that it doesn't cost $50 in a competitive environment.

MILK, Can we bother you to make a 16710 case? There are actually 3185 movements out there that would fit like a glove into a gen spec case. Unlike the high priced 1575 movement.

I bet it would be a hot seller. We'd just have to find someone to come up with a batch of 16710 dials

Reactions: Tione12

Solution6

Watchmaker
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Gold Patron
Certified
14/8/19
London, UK

Got my hands on that Yuki movement holder already and can confirm that it fits well. (only did a quick test fit for now) And I second the idea on the 6460 quality, looks very well made and it runs great.

Also in the 'fit' category - the Tiger Concept's pepsi insert fits perfectly on Milk's bezel assy. In case one doesn't want to shave that beautiful fat font insert from Milk.

Here's a pic of my Lego parts :)

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
So I broke down and decided to go with a YUKI movement holder. That thing is fifty dollars versus 10 bucks for the raffles time holder. But looking at the pictures it seems that the yuki holder will fit into the case.
I got a movement holder made by a watch maker here on RWI - it cost less than Yuki's and is perfectly sized for my milk case and HZ6460. I'll check with them before I name-check them in the thread though!

I paid £83 for mine (so if you're quoting a dollar price, it's probably about the same).

Also in the 'fit' category - the Tiger Concept's pepsi insert fits perfectly on Milk's bezel assy. In case one doesn't want to shave that beautiful fat font insert from Milk.
That's really useful to know, cheers. I'm keen to get another couple of inserts and try some less aggressive ageing on them. I didn't really want to experiment on more of milk's pricier offerings, lovely though they are. EDIT: ah, hang on - my milk inserts fit perfectly in the yodog bezel assy I have on my project case. So the Tiger Concept inserts might be a bit loose. I'll get one to test it out.

Last edited:

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Today... dial printing success! Here's the film-free dial print after application and 10 mins at 200 deg...

ytHzn.jpg

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
Wow. I'm about halfway through this thewad right now and don't want to lose my place. This is quite the project. I want this watch when it's done. Or... I want to build this watch once I see it finished. Lol. But I'm all fairness, that happens every time I see a project on here.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: p0pperini

Dan71

Renowned Member
24/4/15
Italy
Nobby nice result please make pics under the sun !

And I make a reservation for one 6542 when you start the mass production ;-)

Reactions: p0pperini

Redheart

17/5/19
Today... dial printing success! Here's the film-free dial print after application and 10 mins at 200 deg...

ytHzn.jpg

It is looking very promising indeed! what is the PPI resolution on this try?

I a dreaming right now about a nice 6536 dial!

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
It is looking very promising indeed! what is the PPI resolution on this try?
I a dreaming right now about a nice 6536 dial!
The artwork is 6000 dpi, the printer prints at 1200 dpi. I need to take some better pics than this phone snap, it looks better than the pic suggests!

tonycino

Horology Curious
19/12/19
CONUS - NJ
When you folks build 1675s do you modify the movement so the GMT hand is not settable from the crown? Is that a big project and are there are issues with doing it? I have no interest in a adjustable GMT hand and actually find it to be an annoyance as I am regularly dealing with it when I need to adjust the date and I’d rather not.

Hor-Fan

When the going gets weird
Supporter
Certified
14/1/17
Bat Country
When you folks build 1675s do you modify the movement so the GMT hand is not settable from the crown? Is that a big project and are there are issues with doing it? I have no interest in a adjustable GMT hand and actually find it to be an annoyance as I am regularly dealing with it when I need to adjust the date and I’d rather not.

You can get a 2813 gmt movement with a non adjustable gmt hand slaved to the hour hand with a 24hr wheel.

Redheart

17/5/19
I am sure it does look pretty goo! I zoomed out to make it look like a real dial size and it looks very good!

chubbychaser911

31/10/19

On the DG3804 you turn one direction for date and the other for independently setting the GMT hand. And the date does flip over based on GMT hand. I haven't used a 2836 GMT. I have it on order. What is it that bugs you about that?