• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

bakelite 6542 sold as a gen... but

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
I think it's a genuine insert - there's one that looks like it here (font etc)

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=616336

I would assume that aftermarket inserts have copied the way the real ones were made - a clear bakelite ring, numbers machined out and filled with lume and then painted on the back. I've seen bakelite inserts where the paint looks like it lifting off the back of the insert - and this insert is in poor condition on both sides.

Reactions: sn95

Buck Dancer

You're Saying I Can Sell?
22/10/19
Ok, I thought numbers should be thick on gen inserts, not flat

VqtI7L.jpg

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12

There's a few variants of the bakelite insert - black & red, blue & red. Some had fat font, some had thin font, some had a very 3D look to the numbers (which is what you're referring to), and some had a more 2D look.
But they all started to fall apart after a few years.

Reactions: Fastman119

bjorn2019

10/3/17
I'd be very surprised to find anything else than gen at Romain Rea shop

Buck Dancer

22/10/19
I don't think there are any proof around these problems, but whenever there is smoke , there is fire...
https://perezcope.com/2018/12/11/cau...om-antiquorum/

thanks. Interesting.

According to two renowned watchmakers based in Paris, the Rolex vintage market is not always sensitive to after market mov parts/casebacks/bracelets (I needed to service a cal. 1530 last month, and we talked about my doubts regarding to some parts). So It could be ok for both of them. These parts seem to become gen with time (without using any Philosopher's stone). I don't say it's ok for me.

Last edited:

Erinoush

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
10/7/19
UAE / EUROPE
thanks. Interesting.

According to two renowned watchmakers based in Paris, the Rolex vintage market is not always sensitive to aftermarker mov parts/casebacks/bracelets (I needed to service a cal. 1530 last month, and we talked about my doubts regarding to some parts). So It could be ok for both of them. These parts seem to become gen with time (without using any Philosopher's stone). I don't say it's ok for me.

you re right, I don't think a movement is a problem as long as we talk about the same exact stuff exchanged, the watch remain the same and there is no value loss if I understood well... but in this article and in some others around the net, they are talking about non matching spare parts, painted dial, and also about watches assembly combination that are not existing like the famous DRSD above mentioned... of course I have nothing against neither antiquorum nor Romain Rea, but in general when reading around, the vintage market is a very dangerous one unless you're buying to the original first owner. I remember as well some months ago an auction in Monaco with a fake Daytona being expertise as a gen one initially and removed from the auction afterward....

Buck Dancer

22/10/19
let's say using After market parts could be OK if they do not change unduly the price of the watch. We could don't care about a non matching caseback, a reluming job, a service crown, but an AF bakelite bezel change significantly the price of a 6542.
Anyway, any After market parts should be stated by the seller.
Regarding the link about antiquorum, the flaws in the mov could be a deal breaker... it should had been stated.

Last edited:

Erinoush

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
10/7/19
UAE / EUROPE
normally when Rolex changes something for a replacement part it is engraved in the case back during the service of the watch.... at least this is how it was when i had them swapped a dial on a 16520...back in the years when this was still possible...

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant RWI