• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The Best 5513 case.

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
With the eternal quest for 'The Best' of anything and everything taking up more and more place in modern life, I thought it would be interesting to do a Best 5513 Case thread and compare a selection of what's available, from China, Vietnam, Switzerland and maybe other places too.

6 different cases, 6 different suppliers, and 6 wildly differing budgets from a genuine restoration project to a pocket friendly Cartel based build, from an A2836 movement to genuine Rolex 1520 calibre.

All the cases have been reworked/refinished except for the Ruby Vietnam case, which is completely stock - there's one PCG in there, but the case shape and proportions for PCGs are the same as for case with normal CGs - the cases stay in the same order from left to right in both the profile pics.

IMG-3603.jpg

IMG-3607.jpg

Still in the same order, from left to right is now top to bottom:

1-italian.jpg

2-MBW-Polex.jpg

3-Phong-PCG.jpg

4-Cartel.jpg

5-Tripdog.jpg

6-Ruby.jpg

Still in the same order:

7-italian.jpg

All genuine Rolex*:

Restored Rolex 55123 matte dial, 5513 case, Rolex hands, Rolex T19 dome, Rolex 703 crown, Rolex 1530 movement, Rolex service insert - it will be worn on a Rolex 93150 bracelet.

8-MBW.jpg

Restored Rolex 5513 gloss dial, MBW Polex case, AM hands, crystal, Rolex 704 crown, ETA 2846 movement, will be worn on a Cartel bracelet.

9-Phong.jpg

Gloss gilt dial DarkOverlordMaster (speaketh not his name lest he plucketh out thine tongue ), Phong PCG case, Rolex hands, Rolex T19 dome, Rolex 700 crown, Rolex 1520 movement, Slay insert, will be worn on a Ruby 7206.

10-Cartel.jpg

Ruby gloss gilt dial, Cartel case, AM hands, crystal, Athaya crown, A2836 movement, Ruby insert, will be worn on a Cartel bracelet.

11-Tripdog.jpg

Dial and case from my supplier in Vietnam, AM hands, crystal, Rolex 703 crown, ETA 2842 movement, will be worn on a Rolex 93150 bracelet.

12-Ruby.jpg

Stock Ruby case - recognisable by those lovely chunky CGs

* The 5513 case used in the first watch (first on the left, first in top to bottom pics) was sold as genuine, but is in fact 100% fake and made by that well known scammer on Italian eBay - can't remember the exact price - around 2500 euros for the case and case back. Not even a particularly good effort - very rounded sides to the lugs, CGs had a weird shape to them, 'wear' marks between the lugs are frankly comical and the general aspect of the case isn't very convincing - doesn't stop him from selling several of these each month on eBay though.

oldtools

14/6/11
In the description of some of the watches you say you used AM hands. Who is AM?

Buck Dancer

You're Saying I Can Sell?
22/10/19
AM=After Market I guess.

Great work and pics... When I discovered this forum and members' messages full of praise regarding Tripdog, I thought that you were all gays. Not that there's anything wrong with that. It was just a very first feeling. But now, I understand what happened to you guys. All of a sudden, I want to sing Last Christmas and give him a warm hug.

tripdog , could you please send us pics of the gen matte dial before and after your relume work?

Reactions: GDorantes13

yodog

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
2/9/11
In my parent's basement
AM=After Market I guess.

Great work and pics... When I discovered this forum and members' messages full of praise regarding Tripdog, I thought that you were all gays. Not that there's anything wrong with that. It was just a very first feeling. But now, I understand what happened to you guys. All of a sudden, I want to sing Last Christmas and give him a warm hug.

tripdog , could you please send us pics of the gen matte dial before and after your relume work?

lol wtf?

WatchHoBo

Gold Patron
15/4/16
Stunning photos of a stunning watch/watches. I love the old 4 digit No Dates.

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
Any coming up for sale soon?

B

I don't think so, but you never know. . .

AM=After Market I guess.

AM = After Market.

I don't have any 'before' pics of the gen matte dial, I always forget to do the 'befores' - anyway, it's only the 'after' that counts. These pics are from the seller - dial had been relumed (badly):

5513-matte-b4-1.jpg

5513-matte-b4.jpg

Revolper

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/7/18
The best 5513 case is probably by Rolex. I was hoping for a comparison between gen and unmodded rep cases.

Still, very nice builds, all of them.

Last edited:

Stuessi

Renowned Member
9/6/16
Nice comparison, which non genuine insert do you think is most accurate to a genuine one?

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
The best 5513 case is probably by Rolex. I was hoping for a comparison between gen and unmodded rep cases.

Still, very nice builds, all of them.

There really wouldn't be any point in doing a comparison of unmodded rep case because they all need to be reworked in some way - it's just varying levels of accuracy - even the expensive stuff by MQ and Phong needs to be corrected.

Nice comparison, which non genuine insert do you think is most accurate to a genuine one?

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

None of them really, a lightly reworked Slay insert looks convincing, even if it's not 1:1 etc, but a rep service insert is not too complicated to copy and there are a few sellers on eBay that stock some fairly good quality examples.

Buck Dancer

You're Saying I Can Sell?
22/10/19
There really wouldn't be any point in doing a comparison of unmodded rep case because they all need to be reworked in some way - it's just varying levels of accuracy - even the expensive stuff by MQ and Phong needs to be corrected.

Ok, but theses cases have big internal differences: some accept gen casebacks, gen bezel and insert, gen mov, and gen hands (n°1, 2 and 3). And of course gen mov. accept gen feet dials.

The n°5 ("Bò bún" case and dial) is stunning and probably the best price/look option (subjective statement). I guess it's a gen insert.

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
Top Poster Of Month
7/10/15
Ireland
Beautiful comparison thread as usual from tripdog . This thread has engrossed me for ore minutes than I can spare atm lol. Still there are only a handful of people can tell the difference. I am not one of them. No wonder the Italian ebay seller gets away with it.

Serious kudos trip for all your attention to fine detail and incredible knowledge.

Reactions: tripdog

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
Ok, but theses cases have big internal differences: some accept gen casebacks, gen bezel and insert, gen mov, and gen hands (n°1, 2 and 3). And of course gen mov. accept gen feet dials.

The n°5 ("Bò bún" case and dial) is stunning and probably the best price/look option (subjective statement). I guess it's a gen insert.

All the cases will accept gen crystal, bezel assembly, crown, bracelet. The only case that won't accept a 15** calibre movement is the Cartel case because of the stem height. The Italian scammers case internals are not gen spec, neither are the Polex internals, but they both accept gen movements.

No° has a Rolex service insert - a gen dial will make the biggest impact on the overall look, followed by a gen insert.

cheld

Renowned Member
Supporter
7/3/18
* The 5513 case used in the first watch (first on the left, first in top to bottom pics) was sold as genuine, but is in fact 100% fake and made by that well known scammer on Italian eBay - can't remember the exact price - around 2500 euros for the case and case back. Not even a particularly good effort - very rounded sides to the lugs, CGs had a weird shape to them, 'wear' marks between the lugs are frankly comical and the general aspect of the case isn't very convincing - doesn't stop him from selling several of these each month on eBay though.

That would be rrtvrn - adding his eBay name to the thread so anyone searching for him finds this thread.