• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The Best 5513 case.

bcapa40

You're Saying I Can Sell?
21/12/09
I also suffer from the OCD crown height and I've been exploring the idea of buying a mini lathe and cutting or grinding the top of the case down 1-2mm. While the cartel drilled crown tube hole is offest to the case back side vs the gen's crystal side, to my eye the cartel's case also appear to be a bit to thick leaving room to experiment.

MaxDu

Known Member
15/1/20
Hey there ! Nice pics !

I've read somewhere that Ruby cases are the same base quality than Phong or MQ, but Phong and MQ charges extra $$$ because they rework them by themself.
Is that true ?
Noted that every case need rework, including Phong and MQ, Does it means that basicaly a Ruby case + rework can be, at the end, the same quality as Phong or MQ + rework ? and still be as close as possible as gen ?
What about the engraving ? I heard also that Phong are the best ones but ruby are not so great ?

@tripdog what do you think ?

Erinoush

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
10/7/19
UAE / EUROPE
Hey there ! Nice pics !

I've read somewhere that Ruby cases are the same base quality than Phong or MQ, but Phong and MQ charges extra $$$ because they rework them by themself.
Is that true ?
Noted that every case need rework, including Phong and MQ, Does it means that basicaly a Ruby case + rework can be, at the end, the same quality as Phong or MQ + rework ? and still be as close as possible as gen ?
What about the engraving ? I heard also that Phong are the best ones but ruby are not so great ?

@tripdog what do you think ?
Hello,

If I can share my experience, do not expect a Viet sub case to be close to gen without important rework specially around the crown guards and lugs (on the latter the phong was better than ruby imo). As tripdog above mentioned, it would be a non sense to compare without rework of the case.
if you compare the rehaut machining and finish on Viet case and gen my watchmaker showed me there is a little finish difference, but I didn't really noticed that before he fingerprinted it....
The engraving I will leave it to the experts as I couldn't compare the same model.... but what I had in hands from ruby is not close to gen (5513 from 63 - wrong font). I would say on that aspect the phong case I had (6538 from 59) was better if I remember well....
All case back engraving are also not equal to gen- I do still have a MQ and a Ruby both gen spec caseback if you are interested ...

my 2 its...

Erinoush

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
10/7/19
UAE / EUROPE
gen vs Viet
The crown guard are clearly different so it doesn't make sense to check that.
The lug are slightly different, and I have the feeling the gen case is a tad thinner as well (or at least it gives this impression in hand)....

aphmars13

Supporter
Certified
4/10/22
South of France
Bonjour,
Ou se situer le boîtier de lait dans cette comparaison vu qu'il n'existait pas au moment du post. Ce qui me saute aux yeux dans la comparaison avec le gen, ce n'est pas le cg ou les cosses mais forcement de constater qu'il y en a beaucoup. C'est l'épaisseur du poignet. Je suis un novice complet et j'apprends en lisant des articles et en massacrant des cartels. Je suis loin des savoirs et des constructions que j'admire. Ma question est la suivante : quel boîtier est aussi fin sur un poignet qu'un boîtier Gen ?
Excusez mon ignorance
Ceci en vue d'une future construction plus élaborée

Karbon74

Unrivalled Super Hottie
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kanto Region
Bonjour,
Ou se situer le boîtier de lait dans cette comparaison vu qu'il n'existait pas au moment du post. Ce qui me saute aux yeux dans la comparaison avec le gen, ce n'est pas le cg ou les cosses mais forcement de constater qu'il y en a beaucoup. C'est l'épaisseur du poignet. Je suis un novice complet et j'apprends en lisant des articles et en massacrant des cartels. Je suis loin des savoirs et des constructions que j'admire. Ma question est la suivante : quel boîtier est aussi fin sur un poignet qu'un boîtier Gen ?
Excusez mon ignorance
Ceci en vue d'une future construction plus élaborée
friend, your browser is making wonky things and this post is in French. bad google translated French from originally bad English 😅

head to the French Corner, we will help you there

Reactions: muggs

aphmars13

Supporter
Certified
4/10/22
South of France
friend, your browser is making wonky things and this post is in French. bad google translated French from originally bad English 😅

head to the French Corner, we will help you there
Sorry it's chrome translating my reading and apparently my writing 😅

Where is the milk case in this comparison since it did not exist at the time of the post. What jumps out at me in the comparison with the gen are not the cg or horns but forced to note that there are many. It's the thickness on the wrist. I'm a complete novice and I'm learning by reading posts and slaughtering cartels. I'm a long way from the knowledge and constructions I admire. My question is which case is as thin on a wrist as a gen case?
Excuse my ignorance
This in view of a future more elaborate construction

zkramez

You're Saying I Can Sell?
12/12/20
Anyone know who I can use to rework my Phong case? I want it to be laser welded to add material where it lacks, and I want it to be completely reworked to get as close as humanly possible to gen spec. I need someone that really knows what they are doing.

Karbon74

Unrivalled Super Hottie
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kanto Region
Anyone know who I can use to rework my Phong case? I want it to be laser welded to add material where it lacks, and I want it to be completely reworked to get as close as humanly possible to gen spec. I need someone that really knows what they are doing.
Sindri and Brok are the best at metal work.
Haven't seen them for ages though. Eons even.