• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Newbie 5513 Build

thewaters

Horology Curious
5/11/18
Hey - long time lurker. I want to share my first project and get feedback from the community.

This build started off as a JKF 1680 that I picked up from Sead. He’s great to deal with and got me the watch with no hassle. I intended on turning this into an upgraded version of the 1680 that you get OOTB. I realized pretty quickly that I hadn’t done enough research. I wasn’t able to find a 1680 dial that would fit the dimensions of the cartel case that I was satisfied with.

Instead, I decided that I would put together a 5513.

Parts list is:
  • Cartel case
  • Clarks t-19 crystal
  • Athaya 702 crown/tube
  • eBay Dial
  • eBay hands
  • WSO 2mm shoulderless springbars
  • WSO 580 end links
  • Cartel bracelet
  • eBay 2813
QqaS98L.jpg

jjCR4fe.jpg

53xWsqO.jpg

UkmKFiE.jpg

HjRpxmD.jpg

For anyone thinking about working on a similar project I wanted to call out of couple of unexpected issues that I ran into.
  • Retapping the case was more challenging than expected. The process of retapping the case was actually pretty easy once I got everything lined up, but occasionally the tube will screw out with the crown. I haven’t been able to figure out how to solve this except for gluing the tube in.
  • Case finishing is another tough one. I think I was too aggressive with the dremel pressure which created some deep marks that are hard to get out without taking off more metal. I’ve still got some work to do on case finishing. Next step here is to polish the case.
  • Movements. Working on a watch movement is hard if you’ve never done it before. I ended up ordered 3 2813 movements from ebay because I’m clumsy. Don’t underestimate this piece and get some practice.

Equipment - a lot of people don’t talk about the equipment they used for a project. I wanted to go with a pretty cost effective setup, and YMMV, but here’s the stuff I used. This list isn’t comprehensive, but these were the bits that took me the longest to decide on.
I'd love any feedback you all can provide, thanks!

Last edited:

alfonzo

25/7/19
No joy on the images. It would be easier if you use forum code to post the images

Last edited:

jomtones

You're Saying I Can Sell?
20/7/19
Photos aren’t working but I’m very curious to see. Try searching the thread on how to post photos.

re: tube. Use loctite blue. Gluing it in is normal.

My first build was also significantly harder than I expected but I learned so much so it’s definitely worth the experience.

thewaters

Horology Curious
5/11/18
Links should actually work now!

I'll take a stab at gluing the tube in - wasn't sure if this was normal or not :)

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
I have also used JB weld epoxy to put tubes in...they will never come out! Locktite is good too.