• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My journey into the dark side....(pic heavy)

riderocket

18/9/18
Wow man, that some serious stuff going on.
Excellent shots and bookmark worthy material there. I appreciate the detailed walk-through.

Congrats, keep em' coming. Thanks!

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
and now the crystals...bought several....which is most representative of original? (excuse my picture taking skills....had to steal a quilting block from the wife to make the crystals stand out a little better.

bigtiddygothgf

7/10/18
no idea which of those crystals is the most gen-like but i prefer the looks of the Sternkreuz HW, HWS and the ST. what is that 'ST' labeled crystal and where is it from? did the 30.6 size give you any trouble fitting in to the Tiger Concept case? Mine should be here tomorrow along with a few extra bezel inserts.

Last edited:

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
no idea which of those crystals is the most gen-like but i prefer the looks of the Sternkreuz HW, HWS and the ST. what is that 'ST' labeled crystal and where is it from? did the 30.6 size give you any trouble fitting in to the Tiger Concept case? Mine should be here tomorrow along with a few extra bezel inserts.

The ST is a GS crystal, fleabay, Esslinger, Startime, Cousins...etc...they all stock them. I have not 'officially' installed the crystal yet. The Tiger case is a little odd for acrylic crystals. It will come with a domed sapphire in a crystal gasket. You need to leave the gasket installed for the acrylic crystal in order to clear the bezel insert...although, I have thought about a bigger stepped crystal, which may work without the gasket. Anyway, most acrylics don't use a crystal gasket. I do have a special tool to install the crystal though, you can get them on fleabay cheap.

bigtiddygothgf

7/10/18
the sternkreuz does look very close, the GS seems a bit flatter on top. Mine came in today and i must say, i am pretty impressed. Great buy for only $140.

do you plan on brassing the bezel ring? id like to do it but i only have experience with seiko bezel assemblies and i dont want to irreversibly damage anything taking it apart/putting it back together.

also interested to know how the crystal installation process is. once you do that would you mind taking some photos of the process if it isnt too much of a hassle?

thanks again and happy holidays!

Last edited:

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
the sternkreuz does look very close, the GS seems a bit flatter on top. Mine came in today and i must say, i am pretty impressed. Great buy for only $140.

do you plan on brassing the bezel ring? id like to do it but i only have experience with seiko bezel assemblies and i dont want to irreversibly damage anything.

also interested to know how the crystal installation process is. once you do that would you mind taking some photos of the process if it isnt too much of a hassle?

thanks again and happy holidays!

Crystal installation is quite easy...I'll post it all so you can see.

I have decided not to post any "aging" on this project. There are plenty of them out on other threads...plus, I have never done it, so I am no expert.

Right now waiting on my 1/4" 90 deg single flute countersink bit to come in...once I countersink the crown tube, bond it in, then I will install the crystal.

Still waiting on my mainspring barrel assy also...supplier sent the wrong item.

Dial and hands are here....so this project is getting close to being complete!

maikols

5/10/18
Really a good work!

Fantastic!

Inviato dal mio STF-L09 utilizzando Tapatalk

bigtiddygothgf

7/10/18
hey man, my oyster caseback tool came in today and i can not seem to get the caseback off for the life of me. the socket fits perfectly but its like the caseback is loctited in there or something. now matter how hard i try to twist it off it doesnt budge. did you have any issues with it yourself?

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
hey man, my oyster caseback tool came in today and i can not seem to get the caseback off for the life of me. the socket fits perfectly but its like the caseback is loctited in there or something. now matter how hard i try to twist it off it doesnt budge. did you have any issues with it yourself?

sometimes those caseback are really tight...when using the tool, I have had to put the watch into one of the large plastic holders, and push down at the same time I am rotating the tool. I have had even better luck with the sticky ball (wadded up duct tape can do the same job)...after many tries, the caseback usually comes off.

bigtiddygothgf

7/10/18
welp, managed to get it off, and everything was going smoothly, until i broke off the seconds hand pinion during final assembly. looks like ill be rocking a 2 hander until i print my own dial and switch to an ETA movement hahaha.

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
welp, managed to get it off, and everything was going smoothly, until i broke off the seconds hand pinion during final assembly. looks like ill be rocking a 2 hander until i print my own dial and switch to an ETA movement hahaha.

DAMN been there , done that!! It sucks!

Look fwd to seeing it done and more progress from the OP!

bigtiddygothgf

7/10/18
baking lume never seems to work for me, the only effect it had on the tiger dial and hands was turning the gold on both to grey and silver respectively. when i was modding seikos it didnt have any effect either so i had to soak the dials and hands in coffee over 24hrs. didnt have the patience for that so i just threw the watch back together with white lume. the red triangle insert with minute markers turned a very cool olive green shade when i bleached it, quite happy with how it looks.

as for a rolex/tudor dial i plan on printing, ill have to send it off to someone to lume for me as i dont trust my shakey hands to do it. anyone have any pointers on who can lume a dial well?