• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My journey into the dark side....(pic heavy)

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
I thought I would start this thread to 1) get comments from the experts, and 2) help anyone new starting the same journey I am undertaking at the moment. First, I have been repairing, modding, and restoring vintage Seiko Pogues, Kakume's, Dr. Chrono's, Bullheads (both Citizen/Seiko) and most other 6139's and 6138''s for years. Also many Citizen 8110a's. I also mod, repair, and restore new and old dive, sport, and dress watches (mostly Seiko, Citizen, a few Timex Marlins, you name it, and a few Bulova's with Swiss movements and a couple odd ones here and there). Got into reps several years ago, did some repair, a little modding, but never ventured into franken because I always had 5 other watches in the hopper that needed parts and work. As we speak, I have a Citizen Bullhead, Citizen 51-2273 1970's diver, Seiko Pogues, and new Seiko Turtle all in the hopper needing parts to finish...plus, I am re-jeweling 6309 arbors right now as well....

I was getting a little bored on the Seiko scene...I own too many mods and vintage restorations...I was always saving for the next rep to put in the watch box...then one day I ventured into the Vintage section here at RWI. All these years and never once before did it interest me...and...wow! The bug bit me...and, where the hell do you start? It's almost like asking, who makes the best sub...how to make the best 6538 or 5513?

And...there are sooooo many rabbit holes on this subject, it is really overwhelming at first. So, I read and read and read and slowly you start to unravel the mystery on how to start a build.

So, I am starting my own 6538 as my first build. I am not going all out $$$, so no Ruby or Vietnam cases for me. Rather, this is a journey to learn, but end up with a damn nice watch in the end. I plan on posting all the pics as I transition through this build...I welcome comments and advice. As I said, not an expensive build, but something to learn....

First...what case? Even before that...what dial? This is an eternal landslide of information and you need to get it right or your just throwing money away...So I decided Raffles dial because they are inexpensive and I think they look decent enough for a starter project. The one I have coming is 29 mm. I then decided on the TC 5508 V6 case. I am not sure how accurate it is though, but I saw someone say it could be used, so I bought it.

This is what you get for ~$100. I could have saved some money and left the bracelet because I'm going for a Gecko Goldfinger Nato...

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
Next I explore crown and tube removal. I asked Will what the tube size was, he did not know. I want to install Athaya 800 crown, and I don't know if the stock tube will work...based on the pics I saw, I don't think it will....so out it comes....

First to soften the adhesive with the soldering iron

next to the rat file for removal

and it's 3mm, Athaya crown is 4mm tube

Reactions: LuminorReptar

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
On to the movement, I want the low beat version, I know you can use ETA 7846, but I had this A,Schild 5206...so I thought I would try it. By removing the day/date mechanism and the dial spacer, using a Seiko 6309 movement holder...

I was able to get the correct stem/crown height....
but sadly, the balance is shot...after service I cannot get it regulated. A new balance makes this movement 'not worth it'

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
The movement needs to wait for now....
So, next on to the crown...3.5 mm cobalt bits came 2 days ago...
AHG4D.jpg

and this arrived today....
​​​​​​​

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
Right on! Welcome to the dark side..your skills and talents are welcome here. look fwd to seeing progress!

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
Going to start setting up the drill press and get the crown tube hole finished. In the meantime, I plan on drilling the lugs as well. There is a whole plethora of information on this. From what I gather, 2mm springbars have 1.2mm ends and you need a 1.3 mm drill bit.

Others suggest 1.25 mm, but you could have a difficult time inserting the srpingbars because of the tolerance stackup. Looking about, I think I want #55 cobalt bits, which are slightly over 1.3 mm. Also, I think I am going to go with M42 (8% cobalt). Is there any reason to go with anything different?

Plus...there seems to be a large variation on who makes the best a/m spring bar. So I bought bars from Esslinger, Ofrei, Borel, ST, and WSO. I just want to see the comparison...hell, I could have bought gen bars for what I paid! Since I'm getting all different ones, I'll post pics when they arrive.

Damn thing about this hobby, always spending a dollar to save a nickel.

Last edited:

bigtiddygothgf

7/10/18
very interested to see how this turns out, especially the raffles dial.

is there any chance can you post a side by side comparison of the 3 sternkreuz crystals you ordered? like the side profile of them all?

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
yeah...I plan on putting all 3 in the TC case for comparison...also picked up a GS PHD and Stella tension ring crystal as well...had to meet the minimum shipping on a few of the springbars...I'll show all of them once they arrive.

I'll probably just try and sell the remaining parts...at cost. That way someone can pick them up without meeting the minimum purchase order. I'll post them here in RWI once I am done...

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
Donor watch arrived yesterday. Looks like movement will line up perfectly. For anyone wanting this TC case, be sure to ask Will to include the movement holder...it fits perfect.

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
this movement will work!...after full strip and clean, I'll dial it in a little better later....also added a hacking lever I had from an old rep movement.

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
Did some more research, the gen 1030 movement did not hack...so hacking lever needs to come out. Plus, I want the 'gen' setting lever feel, to get rid of the 3 position click I will order the 2 position setting lever from Ofrei tomorrow (ETA part number 445/1327). Also, my mainspring barrel is damaged so I need another....I picked up another really nice one from Speedtimerkollection, it's now on the way.

I wanted a 'cheap' build....there is nothing cheap about it...;)

Reactions: LuminorReptar

LuminorReptar

RepTime BST Mod
27/3/17
Beyond the Pines.
Amazing progress - it is fascinating to see each stage of your build as it slowly all comes together!

Part of the rabbit hole is that there is always another dollar that will find its way into the build.... hahah

Please keep up the posts and looking forward the final results :)

Reactions: Specter1000

Kekoujiao

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
14/11/19
Didn’t know TC has 5508 case. Your build gonna be awesome m8!!

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

riderocket

18/9/18
To avoid confusion it would be better to call Tiger Concept by it's full name.
TC means something else for some.

And BTW Congrats for this epic build. Subscribed, very interested in the progress.
Hats off to your skills and determination.

Last edited:

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
To avoid confusion it would be better to call Tiger Concept by it's full name.
TC means something else for some.

And BTW Congrats for this epic build. Subscribed, very interested in the progress.
Hats off to your skills and determination.

Ahhh yes...I should have made that clear up front, Tiger Concepts not the famous Thomas Caddell. I don't see a lot of posts mentioning Tiger Concept cases, so I am unclear how accurate they are, especially compared to Cartel. The price is right for a cheap build....and wanting to use those elusive 29 mm Raffles dials. Not historically accurate, but a good starting watch project IMO.

Last edited:

maikols

5/10/18
are you still working on this project?

i like the way you work .
nice job man!