• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My Rolex Explorer 6350 Build

mflo

Known Member
4/12/18
The Rolex Explorer 6350 has been my grail watch ever since I became aware of it's existence, thanks to this thread by 369mafia : https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...grail-explorer

This is only my second build, but I really wanted to take my time and do my best to make this one 'right.'

jmb Made me a duplicate case to the one he made for 369mafia , with the proper internal caseback engravings, as well as external case engravings and the thicker "fugly" 6350 bezel. I also had JMB install a Gen Rolex tube (24-6020) that I acquired, that is compatible with my Gen Brevet + 24-600 crown. He also lightly aged the case set for me.

It took me a long time to track down the dial for this watch. MQ had one, but it seemed ridiculously overpriced. Ruby had one, but according to her measurements it was 1mm smaller in diameter than it needed to be. By the time I went back to MQ, the available dial had been removed from the website and was no longer for sale. I thought that was the end of this project. Luckily, MQ still had a dial, and being the only game in town, I acquiesced to his exorbitant price.

Upon arrival, I was blown away by the dial quality - whatever bitterness existed over the price quickly evaporated. It's absolutely stunning in the flesh.

I decided to also use the same hands that 369mafia used in his build, as I felt the Submariner 6204 hands are the more desirable set of hands to have in the 6350. I stripped them of the glowing lume they came with, and re-lumed with Noctlilumina non glowing lume (AN99F) which perfectly matches the aged lume on the dial.

After thorough research, I decided to use a gen ETA 2846 low beat movement to more closely replicate the beat rate of the real thing. However, the 2846 is a movement with a date function and a three position crown, which would be an obvious tell with this watch. So I 'deleted' the date functionality of the movement, and installed the date setting lever from an eta 2801 (two position crown setting lever) and now have a gen Swiss low beat, two crown positioned movement. I also removed the hacking lever, so this movement is now non-hacking as well (same functionality as the gen) which would have been perhaps a more obvious tell than the three position crown.

I've topped the build off with a nice black vintage style strap from Veblenist. I'm glad I went with the proper 6350 engravings from jmb , because they are visible on the watch when wearing the strap.

I'd like to get this watch waterproofed, and I'm debating on whether or not I should also have the case set polished. Other than that, I am pretty proud of this build. Now for the photos:
HpVS1.jpg
HCDr4.jpg

Hpgej.jpg
HCZEI.jpg
HCz3c.jpg
HC3yX.jpg
HCKcb.jpg
HCH4i.jpg
HC2mp.jpg
HCAP5.jpg

Last edited:

jmb

I'm Pretty Popular
16/8/09
Looking good, but, no shots of inside case-back?

qualityazn

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
11/3/18
wow good on you for going the extra mile! looks awesome, kind of makes me want to keep mine now.

(i’m the guy who bought the other mq dial and ruby dial, sorry haha)

mflo

Known Member
4/12/18
wow good on you for going the extra mile! looks awesome, kind of makes me want to keep mine now.

(i’m the guy who bought the other mq dial and ruby dial, sorry haha)

Thanks! And, no need to apologize... I didn't think the Ruby dial would work, but obviously it did (I've seen your build as well). So did you end up buying two dials?

qualityazn

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
11/3/18
yes i ended up buying two dials. the ruby dial is better if you like an aged look but the mq dial is sharp and glossy, each has their own merits

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
Well done Mike. It turned out great and looks awesome. I enjoy the friendly camaraderie that this forum offer from the dial makers , case makers and to the builders. These pics really showcase all aspects of each persons skillset and the results.
Bravo ????????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bbit0

You're Saying I Can Sell?
29/10/18
Sydney, Australia
wow this looks absolutely gorgeous! i am currently wearing a modern Explorer 214270, always wanted to get a vintage one. the dial on 6350 is soo nice. is the pattern just for 6350?

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
Great work! I love the attention to detail and personally I totally geek out on that Octopus Rolex logo - they really should have kept that. Crown, shmrown....

Reactions: 369mafia

mflo

Known Member
4/12/18
wow this looks absolutely gorgeous! i am currently wearing a modern Explorer 214270, always wanted to get a vintage one. the dial on 6350 is soo nice. is the pattern just for 6350?

As far as I know, the 6350 is the only explorer that ever had a honeycomb dial. There are a few other vintage watches from the same era that also had honeycomb dials, but I'm not an expert in vintage rolex (the old Milgauss comes to mind). I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me can chime in though.

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Great job OP! The harder they are to complete, the more you're satisfied with them when you finish :)

Danster

Known Member
11/8/18
amazing...really great job! Really like the case finish...deffo wouldn't polish

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada

Mikes correct. The 6350 is the only explorer with a waffle dial. Their are some pre explorer and semi bubble back models but you would need to source a gen dial for a build as their is no rep dial option.

This is my 6482 semi bubble back as example.
9460930e0981d3e359f873d79b98e84a.jpg

The Milgauss he mentioned (6541).

Reactions: frankfrank

jmb

I'm Pretty Popular
16/8/09
Thanks, Mike, I was really happy with how it turned out! :D

faithfulexecutioner

You're Saying I Can Sell?
14/5/19
Wow, this is remarkable. Ironically I was on the verge of a project just like this but with an oyster.