• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Tripdog Built Space Dweller Explorer 1016

perfecto71

25/7/19
UK
Hello Folks

Wanted to share this recent build by Tripdog. I missed an excellent Space Dweller in the M2M and became a bit obsessed with having one of my own. I stumbled across a dial and case here in the forum and sent them off for Tripdog to complete and mod. The loose concept was it was the first Rolex on Mars and made it back a little worse for wear. Eventually I may replace the dial.

A great first build experience and Tripdog is of course THE MAN. I left the decisions to him.

The dial came aged already.

The case was a 1016 JMB. When we got it Tripdog noted "The case needs to be refinished, there are lateral scratches running down the sides of the case, the lug holes haven't been drilled out evenly, sitting too high or too low on the lugs - refinishing will help to correct this."

He added a set of new aged, lumed hand set "I've lumed the hands so that they match the lume on the dial - heavy patina and discoloration. The case and bracelet have a lighter patina."

He set in a low beat NOS ETA 2842 & bespoke movement ring and finished it off with his refinished 7206 rivet bracelet with 2 mm spring bars.

Here's some of his build shots

And some glamour shots of its new life in London.

johnlogan

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
18/12/15
This is pretty amazing build from the chipped case to the worn back sticker to the aged hands. Enjoy this beauty.
Enjoy it in good health.

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
nicely done!! I hope you are enjoying it!

Was this a decal dial or yuki dial?
the gilt hands are a nice touch not common with scoc dials

looks great on the rivet ....now wear the hell outta it...it needs some beauty marks to match the dial!!

Reactions: perfecto71

perfecto71

25/7/19
UK
Not sure of the original source of the dial. It came to me aged. tripdog any guesses?

I will likely upgrade that one day. The Whoopy ones are amazing.

Reactions: 369mafia

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
Not sure of the original source of the dial. It came to me aged. tripdog any guesses?

I will likely upgrade that one day. The Whoopy ones are amazing.

I don't know, it looks similar to the 'painted' gilt Explorer dials Yuki does, maybe he had a short run of Space Dweller dials done in the past, or it was a prototype dial he had made up.