Advices for a first vintage build/mod

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bc1221 View Post

Brushing you can pull off with scotch brite (green i think). They’ll look fine. I typically do a polish before re-brushing so you don’t end up with brush lines going everywhere. You can get some nice finishing sandpaper from the paints section in any hardware store. If you want a deep brush, you kinda have to test out different grits. It also depends on what metal(s) you’re brushing too. If it’s a 904L, you’re going to need a lower grit.

I don’t even bother with cape cod anymore. It’s just too much hand work for minimal results. They’re good for small hairline scratches but that’s about it.

I use a bench grinder with a wool or cotton pads and different grades of compound. If you’re in the US, you can get a small bench grinder for like $30 bucks.

For small work, I use a dremel with a jewel polish compound. Idk. That’s what it was labeled as and it does a great job.

For vintage pieces, you kinda have to beat it up a little and then polish. That way it looks like a 50 year old watch but looks like it’s been taken care of. That’s just me though. Some people like that “beat to shit, found on the bottom of the ocean floor” look.

Good luck man. It’s fun but gets expensive quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Brother just a question, i just bought a 5512 cartel dial and hands. Im looking to make a vintage sub. What case would you suggest? And from where. JFK i dont know what that is i just read in the convo above. Any guidance with this vintage sub?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Spare View Post
      I've been looking all over, but don't seem to find the answer: where can you buy a "cartel" case? I often see them referred to as JFK cases as well, but either one I'm coming empty handed when checking the usual dealer sites (Trusty, Intime,...).
      Would appreciate it if any one could point me in the right direction.
      Spare here you go mate.

Red JKF submariner (aka cartel)

https://www.intime05.co/rollie/2720-...ner-a2836.html

or maybe you want tudor no date

https://www.intime05.co/tudor/2960-v...ner-a2836.html

cheers

Comment

JKF are pretty much the only vintage sub case makers that are remotely close to gen spec. I think there is another maker out there but their dial size is pretty large so you will have a hard time finding a dial for it.

If you’re building a 5512/3, just get a cartel one. The cartel cases are a perfect fit for those cases. 26mm dials. The 1680s.. not so much because 1680s have a 26.5mm dial so you would have to do some very careful shaving the dial.

If it were me, I’d just get a cartel sub with a 2836 movement. You can get one now for like $180 plus shipping. Then it’s not that much work from there.
        Just re-shape the case. Drill the lug holes larger (1.25mm). Get a decent dial. I’d go with a richview dial if this is your first mid range build. Rich’s dials are usually under $200. Stick a Atheya crown and tube on there. Relume the hands to match the dial and you are good to go.

Good luck!

Comment

damn. Thanks a ton man for the guide. I tried to ask trusty time but theres no cartel cases? Anywhere i can get them.
          also ill have to check out what rich is haha. Didnt hear this yet.

but struggling to find a case set right now :/

Originally posted by bc1221 View Post
          JKF are pretty much the only vintage sub case makers that are remotely close to gen spec. I think there is another maker out there but their dial size is pretty large so you will have a hard time finding a dial for it.

If you’re building a 5512/3, just get a cartel one. The cartel cases are a perfect fit for those cases. 26mm dials. The 1680s.. not so much because 1680s have a 26.5mm dial so you would have to do some very careful shaving the dial.

If it were me, I’d just get a cartel sub with a 2836 movement. You can get one now for like $180 plus shipping. Then it’s not that much work from there.
          Just re-shape the case. Drill the lug holes larger (1.25mm). Get a decent dial. I’d go with a richview dial if this is your first mid range build. Rich’s dials are usually under $200. Stick a Atheya crown and tube on there. Relume the hands to match the dial and you are good to go.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Lutaito View Post
            damn. Thanks a ton man for the guide. I tried to ask trusty time but theres no cartel cases? Anywhere i can get them.
            also ill have to check out what rich is haha. Didnt hear this yet.

but struggling to find a case set right now :/

You buy the whole watch. Marvelous Replicas has them on special basically permanently.
            Last edited by Tribefan; 02-05-20, 01:24.

Comment

Originally posted by Tribefan View Post

You buy the whole watch. Marvelous Replicas has them on special basically permanently.
              Bought the watch. Now looking for a vintage Pepsi. Build or already made

Comment

Working...
              X