• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Alternative to Vietnam Dials

bc1221

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/4/14
I love MQ and Ruby’s dials but they are fairly expensive and there really is a reason they cost more than others. They are definitely top quality. I would say the next best as far as quality goes would be richview’s dials that Solution6 mentioned. They are priced fairly cheap and the quality is good. Not the best but good enough for me. Especially at the price point. He also ships from Canada so it won’t take forever for it to get to you.

I have 2 dials of his. Red 1680 that I actually bought from Solution6 and a 16800 dial on the way.

He does make pretty good quality 1675 dials for $160 or so. He’s a good guy to deal with as well. I gave him a few recommendation and requests and he definitely listens and accepts feedback.

Check em out. (He will not ship to Italy though. Apparently he’s had some issues shipping there)

https://www.mochacha.org/shop-1/rolex-1675-gmt-master-matte-black-refinished-dial

It’s definitely not Vietnam quality but he also doesn’t charge $300-$600 for a dial.

For a beginner, I would stick with the cartel dial until you get more familiarized with the process and how everything is done. You will need to clip the dial feet and either attach new dial feet, drill holes on the main plate of the movement to fit the gen dial feet locations or use dial dots. None of these are easy mods. Dial dots will cause some issues if they’re not tall enough or too tall since you’re dealing with a watch that has a date complication. If the dial is sitting too low, the datewheel will get stuck or change VERY SLOWLY. If it’s sitting too high, your gmt hand will be rubbing up against the dial. You don’t want either of these scenarios so definitely practice with the cartel dial first.

Good luck with your build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: Therion666

DrHuHill

27/11/18
the deep blue sea
I love MQ and Ruby’s dials but they are fairly expensive and there really is a reason they cost more than others. They are definitely top quality. I would say the next best as far as quality goes would be richview’s dials that Solution6 mentioned. They are priced fairly cheap and the quality is good. Not the best but good enough for me. Especially at the price point. He also ships from Canada so it won’t take forever for it to get to you.

I have 2 dials of his. Red 1680 that I actually bought from Solution6 and a 16800 dial on the way.

He does make pretty good quality 1675 dials for $160 or so. He’s a good guy to deal with as well. I gave him a few recommendation and requests and he definitely listens and accepts feedback.

Check em out. (He will not ship to Italy though. Apparently he’s had some issues shipping there)

https://www.mochacha.org/shop-1/rolex-1675-gmt-master-matte-black-refinished-dial

It’s definitely not Vietnam quality but he also doesn’t charge $300-$600 for a dial.

For a beginner, I would stick with the cartel dial until you get more familiarized with the process and how everything is done. You will need to clip the dial feet and either attach new dial feet, drill holes on the main plate of the movement to fit the gen dial feet locations or use dial dots. None of these are easy mods. Dial dots will cause some issues if they’re not tall enough or too tall since you’re dealing with a watch that has a date complication. If the dial is sitting too low, the datewheel will get stuck or change VERY SLOWLY. If it’s sitting too high, your gmt hand will be rubbing up against the dial. You don’t want either of these scenarios so definitely practice with the cartel dial first.

Good luck with your build.

The GMT dial from that guy in Canada, you mentioned, looks like one of the classic Tonny dials...

Tschacko

Supporter
1/8/18
The GMT dial from that guy in Canada, you mentioned, looks like one of the classic Tonny dials...

I Ince had a long E dial that was called Tonny dial. But I Never found what that was or who Tonny is. Any Info on that?

Last edited:

Tschacko

Supporter
1/8/18
Well, then I had a Tonny Long E dial. Anyway, the Viet dials are nice but are far away from the accuracy we strive now in the 5 digit or even 6 digit world. You get get a Rep 6 Digit dial for around 40$ where you need a 20x magnifier to find errors.

The 1675 Dials e.g. from Ruby have severe flaws like wrong font type and spacing that is obvious without magnification.

People are paying 200$ and for such dials. Everybody is amazed. No improvement needed. People complaining get nice stfu comments. It would be great to see finally some competition in the Vintage world.
But we would need to challenge it.

So far I don’t see it. If anyone has some proposition would be great.

Reactions: pompompurin

ebzen02

I'm Pretty Popular
12/4/10
Well, then I had a Tonny Long E dial. Anyway, the Viet dials are nice but are far away from the accuracy we strive now in the 5 digit or even 6 digit world. You get get a Rep 6 Digit dial for around 40$ where you need a 20x magnifier to find errors.

The 1675 Dials e.g. from Ruby have severe flaws like wrong font type and spacing that is obvious without magnification.

People are paying 200$ and for such dials. Everybody is amazed. No improvement needed. People complaining get nice stfu comments. It would be great to see finally some competition in the Vintage world.
But we would need to challenge it.

So far I don’t see it. If anyone has some proposition would be great.

Where are the $40 rep vintage dials that are near flawless ?

Tschacko

Supporter
1/8/18
Where are the $40 rep vintage dials that are near flawless ?

I would be totally ok with paying 200$ or more if we get the dials to a better accuracy

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
I'd love to see $40 5 digit and 6 digit dials that are close to perfection.

Tschacko

Supporter
1/8/18
Haha always up for a challenge :) I think I did not use the word perfection but I think that level is pretty satisfying for me at least:

ARF or Noob V3 116500 Daytona:
https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...b-v3-daytona-vs-gen-daytona-vs-arf-v2-daytona

the Daytona Dial was 40 $ when I bought it last year.

Or the new ZZF v2 116610 LN is killer and and the even ohh so difficult LV are really nice.
Here:
https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...lk-dial-review-vs-gen-and-zzf-new-hulk-sample

Not mentioning KH dials in the TC times.

Do you have something similar in the 1675 ?

Reactions: ferristara

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
Haha always up for a challenge :) I think I did not use the word perfection but I think that level is pretty satisfying for me at least:

ARF or Noob V3 116500 Daytona:
https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...b-v3-daytona-vs-gen-daytona-vs-arf-v2-daytona

the Daytona Dial was 40 $ when I bought it last year.

Or the new ZZF v2 116610 LN is killer and and the even ohh so difficult LV are really nice.
Here:
https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...lk-dial-review-vs-gen-and-zzf-new-hulk-sample

Not mentioning KH dials in the TC times.

Do you have something similar in the 1675 ?

Not sure why it's so important that the font be exactly the same as the genuine. They used different font, different spacing according to the variant of the dial, and there are 7 variants to the matte 1675 dial (that's not including the gloss gilt dials).

Hardly anybody will notice that the font isn't perfect, especially if you have the dial in an un-refinished Ruby case, or one of Phongs' comically aged cases - the dial would be the least of your problems..

Tschacko

Supporter
1/8/18
Not sure why it's so important that the font be exactly the same as the genuine. They used different font, different spacing according to the variant of the dial, and there are 7 variants to the matte 1675 dial (that's not including the gloss gilt dials).

Hardly anybody will notice that the font isn't perfect, especially if you have the dial in an un-refinished Ruby case, or one of Phongs' comically aged cases - the dial would be the least of your problems..

I know every detail of every 1675 dial. I studied them all. I had a nice Ruby case with Yodog refinishing it but I could not find a MKI dial that was accurate. I did not want to buy a service dial because that would destroy the whole look. That’s why I plead for a better accuracy.

DrHuHill

27/11/18
the deep blue sea
So it would be nice, if anybody could post a „real“ MQ Mark 1 dial for the 1675 GMT in order to check the obviously highest quality of refinished dials. The pictures of the MK1 dial on his website, have been taken from the chrono 24 site. Would appreciate :)

Last edited:

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
I know every detail of every 1675 dial. I studied them all. I had a nice Ruby case with Yodog refinishing it but I could not find a MKI dial that was accurate. I did not want to buy a service dial because that would destroy the whole look. That’s why I plead for a better accuracy.

So comission one from a dial printer - supply the Vector image, that's all you have to do.

Or buy a genuine dial - should be able to get one for around $2.5k.

Last edited:
Reactions: cpd2186

ebzen02

I'm Pretty Popular
12/4/10

I don’t get it.. factories invest hundreds of thousands on an RM watch to sell to average joes that could never afford such ugly watch.. I think vintage watches are great because an average joe can technically pass it as a watch that was inherited- if that’s their thing. Why not make 1:1 reps of vintages watches that can be had for under 20k? Guess the demand is way more for $300k toylooking watch.

Tschacko

Supporter
1/8/18
So comission one from a dial printer - supply the Vector image, that's all you have to do.

Or buy a genuine dial - should be able to get one for around $2.5k.

Don’t know anyone with a dial printer. Do you ?
Have you done that before?

2,5K is above my pain limit though.

Tschacko

Supporter
1/8/18
Go with Helena Rou :) supply them a vector image, know the dial diameter and you are done

I heard of Helena Rou. But if it is that easy, why haven’t we seen this before ?

I would like to see someone who has done this. Curious!

ebzen02

I'm Pretty Popular
12/4/10
I heard of Helena Rou. But if it is that easy, why haven’t we seen this before ?

I would like to see someone who has done this. Curious!

You can always go with a 5513 dial from Helena.. he owns one and his dials a based on it.. heard they are really good.