• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Alternative to Vietnam Dials

Plantagenet

7/12/18
Europe
Hello everyone,

I am planning to do my first GMT 1675 build based on Cartel/BP case.

I am a total beginner, so I would like to keep the budget low for this first try as I might ending up messing some parts in the process..

The plan is to buy the cheap Cartel with 2813 movement and then change plexi (Clark), bezel (Clark), insert (Clark), hands (Raffles) and dial.

After reading this forum, I understand that Vietnam suppliers have the best dials for GMT. Some of them are more expensive than the others.

I thought Ruby was reasonnable in terms of pricing but she quoted me $230 for a 1675 Dial with indices having a light eggshell color that I like (I find the BP dial with "Faux" patina not so well made)..

In your experience, is there any room for negotiation with these supplier?

Alternatively, is there cheaper refinished dial available somewhere else that would be better quality compared to BP stock dial?

Thank you very much for your help. Happy to receive any advice for this little project overall.

Bluegold15

You're Saying I Can Sell?
30/4/15
Bonjour Sir, simple answer is no, Ruby and also Mq produce some of the nicest after market dials for Rolex. I would bite the bullet if i where you because as you progress through this hobby you'll also be moving over to one of Rubys cases. None of the standard rep makers cases are anywhere close to Gen 1675 in terms of profile, thickness etc. Also worth mentioning that none of them have the right size of lug holes. Drilling these can cost you dearly.
Worth saving as you go and invest in the best parts you can afford. That way you won't have the hassle of selling your starter projects later down the line.
We have all been where you are and after spending 11 years in this fasinating hobby hopefully my advise can help your progress.

Plantagenet

7/12/18
Europe
It does help tremendously, thank you.
I will strongly consider a Vietnam dial.

Ruby seems to be one of the most recommended supplier. But if there are others, do not hesitate to let me know.

If ok, I’ll use this thread to show the build afterwards!

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada

Ruby seems to be one of the most recommended supplier. But if there are others, do not hesitate to let me know.

Ruby and MQ are the top option.
next would be Yuki - decent dials and good customer service.
refinished rep dials pop up on ebay from time to time also

all of these options are miles ahead of what comes with the bp watch
I echo what Bluegold15 said. the cartel watch will satisfy you for a while but then you will want more and a full vietnam build is the only real answer.
years ago gen parts were an option but now their prices are sky high so its not an option for many.

Plantagenet

7/12/18
Europe
Yes, the stock BP dial is remarkably ugly and must be disposed of! Try eBay seller DOTHEANH or OSTRICH68 for economical options. ;)

Thank you very much.
Do you feel the same about stock cartel hands?
I know previous builder used Starttime, Raffles in their build.
Any recommendation?

Hor-Fan

When the going gets weird
Supporter
Certified
14/1/17
Bat Country
Thank you very much.
Do you feel the same about stock cartel hands?
I know previous builder used Starttime, Raffles in their build.
Any recommendation?

I don’t mind the stock hands, especially if you’re keeping the 3804 movement. Though you might consider the small gmt hand from raffles. Helenarou is also a good source for relatively decent hand sets.

Reactions: Plantagenet

jomtones

20/7/19
Agreed with posts above. I’ve been eyeing a full Vietnam build after initially considering a bp build. Keep in mind ruby dials are significantly better accuracy than yuki.

I’d recommend starting with the bp and getting the ruby dial. The quoted price is already good (assuming it’s gilt). Then when you inevitably want a Vietnam case, you’ll already have a great dial. Supposedly the Vietnam cases also fit 3804 movements.

Solution6

Watchmaker
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Gold Patron
Certified
14/8/19
London, UK

I had a very good experience with an Ebay seller, Viet quality dials but shipped from Canada. I'm sure his name popped up on the forum before, a chap called richview8i8

Great printing and amazing after sales support.

Julian13

11/12/15
I had a very good experience with an Ebay seller, Viet quality dials but shipped from Canada. I'm sure his name popped up on the forum before, a chap called richview8i8

Great printing and amazing after sales support.

Would you say the colour is similar to Ruby for the “aging”? And similar printing quality?

Last edited:

Solution6

Watchmaker
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Gold Patron
Certified
14/8/19
London, UK

Crown and writing look better (print quality) on richies’ one. (the dial seen through the loupe).

The other one is Ruby’s.

Not trying to promote any of the sellers, just comparing as I purchased both.

bc1221

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/4/14
If you’re a beginner, I would stick with the cartel dial and practice everything there. Especially if you plan on luming the dial. I don’t think Ruby’s dials need reluming imo but, you have to cut the dial feet and try to position them perfectly (not as easy as it sounds). You can cut them and use dial dots, which I’m not a fan of or you can clip them and epoxy them in the correct spots but either way, you can mess up a dial easily. The first few builds I did were not easy but you gotta get used to modding them first. Good enough so that your hands aren’t shaking when you try to do delicate work. Especially on a $250 dial. Hell, I still get shakes when I’m luming a cartel dial.

Practice everything with a cartel dial, case..etc. you will most likely mess up something the first few try’s but that’s how you learn.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plantagenet

7/12/18
Europe
bc1221 thanks a lot for the sound advice, I was leaning towards something along those lines.
I am still buying one of Ruby’s but will save it for later.

jomtones

20/7/19
Practice this with the cartels first: When you cut the dial feet you’ll be left with these small nubs you’ll need to file/sand down flush to the back of the dial. As a tip, sand/file in one direction only (pulling motion is easiest in my mind). If you use a typical back and forth motion the file might accidentally slip to the other side and mar the dial face. Happened to me, luckily when practicing.

Plantagenet

7/12/18
Europe
Bluegold15 369mafia jomtones

Thanks guys, I bite the bullet and took the dial from Rubys.

Pretty amazed by the print quality but...ahem.. upon unpacking the dial there seem to be a problem with the lume plot at 2'o clock.

I finally decided to have a modder work on the watch and he might be able to fix this but still.. I raised the issue with Ruby anyway and I'm sure we'll be able to sort things out.

Too bad because If it wasn't for this I would have been ver very satisfied.

jomtones

20/7/19
I think you made a great choice, the lume issue is unfortunate. Recently had something similar happen to me with a Ruby dial in transport, despite careful packaging.

Printing quality is awesome, but lume is fragile. I learned that since it is water-based, it doesn't bond to the dial plate well.

I'd see what Ruby says first. Alternatively, I'd recommend reaching out to Tripdog for some options on repairing.

I don't know if you'll be assembling the watch yourself, but as a tip, if you need to use hand removing levers, you should cut the dial protector to a smaller diameter so it doesn't touch the lume. I normally don't do this, but the lume seems fragile enough to warrant it.

Plantagenet

7/12/18
Europe
I think you made a great choice, the lume issue is unfortunate. Recently had something similar happen to me with a Ruby dial in transport, despite careful packaging.

Printing quality is awesome, but lume is fragile. I learned that since it is water-based, it doesn't bond to the dial plate well.

I'd see what Ruby says first. Alternatively, I'd recommend reaching out to Tripdog for some options on repairing.

I don't know if you'll be assembling the watch yourself, but as a tip, if you need to use hand removing levers, you should cut the dial protector to a smaller diameter so it doesn't touch the lume. I normally don't do this, but the lume seems fragile enough to warrant it.

Thanks a lot for the tip and your message!
I decided to follow advice given here and practice first on cartel stock dial and see how I fare.

The Ruby' dial picture above, I am very happy to have JJ/RolexAddict working on it, he will reshape a cartel case I have. I already sent pic of the lume issue and he says its no biggie he'll restore it and have hands match that good looking patina.

Last edited:

Dizzy

Advisor - Vintage Rolex
Advisor
Patron
Certified
15/4/07
Western Canada
I use yukiwatch for medium price builds. His dials are decent for the $120 price tag. MQ makes really nice Viet dials especially the faded and brown tropical. Rubi is decent also and some of the products are the same as MQ like the bracelets but they are way cheaper.