• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Alternative to Vietnam Dials

Tschacko

Supporter
1/8/18
You can always go with a 5513 dial from Helena.. he owns one and his dials a based on it.. heard they are really good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I found that some dials from Ruby are quite accurate. E.g. this DRSD

090dcacdf72cde185282432d2aae866a.jpg

So it it’s possible. I just haven’t come across something similar with the 1675

ebzen02

I'm Pretty Popular
12/4/10
Well I found that some dials from Ruby are quite accurate. E.g. this DRSD

090dcacdf72cde185282432d2aae866a.jpg

So it it’s possible. I just haven’t come across something similar with the 1675

Some of his dials are a not that horribly expensive. He quoted me $190 for a non gilt 5513 dial. The Gilt dials are the expensive ones.

philwongnz

I'm Pretty Popular
27/1/14
A dial makes the watch, I rather save a bit longer than having a cheaper finishing dial and you might later regret and need to upgrade.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Reactions: bigtiddygothgf

bc1221

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/4/14
I can’t remember who but someone on this forum recently bought a pad printer. It’s in one of the recent threads on the vintage sub forum.

I told him I could make vector images for him and to let me know when he’s ready to print.

The problem with vintage dials imo are the fonts. They’re close to impossible to find. The coronet and the top text can be found easily but the bottom text fonts are not available anywhere (I’ve searched a A LOT). You have to basically find the highest quality image of the dial, zoom in as close as you can and trace the text. This takes a VERY long time. That is also a major portion of the cost of high quality dials imo. It would take me quite some time to trace the text on them and get it correct. My hourly rate for freelance work is $100/hr and if I did that for a client, it would cost $1000+ just for 3-6 lines of text and I’ve been a graphic designer since illustrator v.3. (I’m old).

Modern Rolex fonts or close enough can be found. I think I actually have them on my computer but vintage ones with the serifs and all that is nowhere to be found. I’ve even seen people on the Rolex forums asking where to get the fonts. Only to be answered with “why do you need them?”

Reactions: majwilliams0308

Amaiel

Supporter
Certified
27/4/16
I .....You have to basically find the highest quality image of the dial, zoom in as close as you can and trace the text. ....

Is this good enough? If yes then I've some macro pics, send me a pm with the ref you are looking for.