• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Lets see your vintage watches

Nur-Uhr

Time Machine
Patron
Certified
20/2/17
EU
3ItxE8.jpg

Geonor

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
20/5/22
Norway
Picked up this vintage mid 50s - early 60s Marvin Hermetic 35mm bullseye from a local website for $40. Listed as non running and missing the seconds hand. I thought I saw the seconds hand inside the case on the terrible pics so I bid on it and got the watch.

Marvin is not that known these days but is one of the oldest watch brands from Switzerland, founded in 1850, 25 years before AP and 55 years before Rolex. They focused on high quality everyman's watches and was deep into car racing sponsorships in the 50s and 60s. They were bought up by the MSR group during the quartz crisis and the brand was iced until the mid 00s when Marvin was resurrected and is now focused on mid tier luxury watches mostly in the Asia region.

3IJT6n.jpg

As you can see the seconds hand was actually in the case and it was an easy fix to crimp it a tiny bit so it friction fits on the seconds post and with a bit of winding and a blower on the balance it started right up ticking. Terrible amplitude though as it probably hasn't been serviced in decades so I let the power out and I'm planning to service it. The left bottom lug has taken a ding and is slightly bent so I'll have to sort that out as well.

Movement is pristine and it's an "in-house" 17j incabloc Marvin 700. Base movement was invented by Election, further refined by Marvin and sold to Longines who modified it further. It's an 18000vph no date hand winder with a power reserve of 44h.

3IJkjs.jpg