• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Lets see your vintage watches

gunsmoke16610

FIVE-Digit
Patron
Certified
23/10/18
229-A39-FC-ABB1-4-DCD-BDB8-D7-BB370273-CC.jpg

Reactions: Mapearso

D1m1tr1

Known Member
14/1/19
My first Franken, a 1972 Sigma Dial 1550. I had the great yodog put it together for me, as the 2824-2 needed an H4 conversion that was way beyond my neophyte skill set. I've been wearing the hell out of it since it arrived last week.

I never thought I could pull off a gold watch. Then (like everybody else in COVID-world), I re-watched the Sopranos this year and fell hard for Tony's always-there President. Then, Rolex dropped the newest OP 34 with a gorgeous silver/gold dial option. While this was going on, I started looking for a relatively complete 1500 sets on the 'Bay to attempt a Franken build myself. I'm a SS watch guy through-and-through, but a very clean and complete 1550 set with a dial very similar to the new 124200 I love popped up, as did a well-used but still lovely gold-plated rivet bracelet, both at a really good price. So, I bit the bullet and bought myself a gold (capped) watch.

With some invaluable advice from stonep I set out to buy everything I needed to put this sucker together. My big swerve was the Riyi roulette date wheel, with the red even days that give me something to look forward to in these near-quarantine times. This is the finished result. The rivet bracelet is unlike anything I've ever seen before, but I dig the small link size, it reminds me of the early '50s pre-endlink Rolexes.

I love this freaking watch. Again, many, many thanks to Yodog and Stonep for helping me with this one.

What a build Sir! Top shelf piece! Thanks for the story!

Reactions: KJ2020